PDA

View Full Version : Hay shortage?

horseless
7th April 2010, 08:31 PM
Anyone else experiencing this? I know we had a bad winter, but I didn't think things were that bad.

Went to order some hay today but usual guy has none. Tried a couple of others - been laughed at by all of them when I asked if they had any hay:o

Pointless post really - going to have to spend tomorrow scouring the adtrader and figuring out how to transport it myself. Somehow I don't think my little car is going to fit more than 1 bale in the boot :scared:

rowy
7th April 2010, 08:41 PM
yup had to go to the local feed shop and buy a bale for 4.50 :O as the yard had run out. nicer stuff than the YO had got tho :/

Twizzel
7th April 2010, 09:25 PM
We are having to feed hay now as haylage has supplier has run out and can't source anymore that's not mouldy, like silage or dry :(

rowy
7th April 2010, 09:29 PM
actually all the hayledge has gone really dry at work so it is practically hay. such a waste as all the horses are leaving it. should take it to my youngster im sure he wouldn;t mind :P

XxFudgexX
7th April 2010, 09:35 PM
We buy ours from the farmer up the road he phoned up the other day to say he was getting low so would put some on one side for us, he never normally runs out.

fairyfeet
9th April 2010, 09:09 PM
Here in Cambridgeshire hay is really short! Was even on the local radio, crop was not as big last year, a lot has been lost with the bad weather and more being fed this winter due to the weather again. Its been a hard 5 months here. Know some is being sold for 8-9 per bale. I'm lucky only pay 2 per bale and still have 150 yet to be delivered!
Wont use it all but some friends are runing out fast!

BEX101
9th April 2010, 09:15 PM
We're short of straw according to the farmer. He let us into the summer fields today a few weeks early because he wont have enough straw to see us through.

CityLights
9th April 2010, 09:23 PM
we cut our own hay and hayledge at work we have too much! we dont have much hay but thats cause we dont need a lot, but hayledge we use looads of and have too much, and we had to throw away 150 bales becasue the stupid pwoer lines were beign repaired and they got loads of bits of wire in the hayledge

Emm
10th April 2010, 08:22 AM
Yup we have been finding it really hard to get hay! We normally cut our own, and have run out. The local feed barns have run out also. We managed to get some from one place and ended up paying 5.50 for a small bale!!

Finally managed to get some delievered from miles away and they were monster bales which is ok. We have planned with the local farmer to keep us extra bales from this years cut so we are sure we have ample for the next year!

chance encounter
10th April 2010, 10:16 AM
We havent had any problems either but we could have as our hay man's barn was set alight and his whole year of hay was destroyed. He managed to get some next door for us as we are good customers and have been buying from him for over six years.

chance encounter
10th April 2010, 10:17 AM
Should have said have you tried the Farmers Weekly or Farmers Guardian you sometimes see hay being advertised in there. Also Loot.

Ali27
12th April 2010, 10:14 PM
We are lucky as our new yard still has lots of large bales left which are 20 and last my two a month! Bargain!