PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a summer sheet?

CDR
14th April 2010, 09:02 AM
When I bought a LW turnout last year I sort of assumed I would be able to use it in the summer too. But it's got no lining or anything and I think he will get sweaty if it's hot.

How does a summer sheet differ? Is it still waterproof? Is it warm enough for him to wear overnight in a couple of weeks when he starts to live out.

I know if the weather's nice then he technically doesn't need a rug on but sometimes you just want a clean horse :cheekywink:

loubylou
14th April 2010, 09:17 AM
Its just cotton and is for keeping clean and stop him fading in the sun, not waterproof

Bucas do a rug that is silver, and is meant for summer use as it reflects the sun, is about 60 though but I have heard nothing but good about them!

BEX101
14th April 2010, 09:25 AM
Is the one you have breathable?

What about a fly rug? He shouldnt get to hot in that - plus it will help with the flys. Not waterproof but designed for outside and to dry quickly.

CDR
14th April 2010, 10:25 AM
Its just cotton and is for keeping clean and stop him fading in the sun, not waterproof

Bucas do a rug that is silver, and is meant for summer use as it reflects the sun, is about 60 though but I have heard nothing but good about them!

Please tell me you're kidding about fading in the sun!!

I wondered if the flies would affect him, he seems ok so far but it probably makes sense to get one if I need a summer rug anyway, the LW he's got doesn't seem breathable.

loubylou
14th April 2010, 03:45 PM
Showing peeps dont want the coat to get sun-bleached, particularly important if its a black

So no not joking :)