PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of AFI horse insurance?

Loony
14th April 2010, 11:16 PM
Thats the cheapest one by far, I can't get NFU because I don't have the written reports of the vettings yet..

Does anyone know if they're any good or not? I've never heard of them and even HHO is very quiet!

Poppy and Harmony
14th April 2010, 11:26 PM
I think I have heard of them.. but literally just the name!

Loony
14th April 2010, 11:33 PM
I'm trying to find reviews on the net and can't find any either. But they're high up on the 1st page when you search for horse insurance so surely they must be popular?

Poppy and Harmony
14th April 2010, 11:35 PM
Just means they pay more to get on googles first page :lol:

Unless you hear some good reviews, I'd stay well clear..

Loony
14th April 2010, 11:39 PM
I'm desperately running out of options then, I need him insured for Saturday and thats the 1st one I've done that I'm even willing to pay.

I tried Scottish Equestrian, think some are with them on here? But when you go on the page to see the quote, it crashes, every time. Might ring them tomorrow. Petplan is ridiculous aswell, I can't get it any lower than 50 and thats taking off LOU and for curiositys sake, putting his value down to 2k. ?!

gem
14th April 2010, 11:43 PM
How much are you insuring him for? If you insure him for less than his value your premiums will be lower and you're unlikely to need a vetting certificate. You rarely get back the full value of the horse. How much were the other premiums? I think anything around 30-35 a month is reasonable having gotten quotes from lots of places. Are you insuring for loss of use? That'd add a premium too.

Poppy and Harmony
14th April 2010, 11:44 PM
Most insurance covers are void for the first 2 weeks of being taken out anyway, so does it really matter?

I never had Harmony vetted and the quotes I got never required anything to do with vettings, although I think thats to do with value..

Loony
14th April 2010, 11:49 PM
NFU asked me straight away about it.

Well I put him as 3500, what I'm paying for him. Then decided I didn't need that much so put it down to 3000. All I'm insuring him for is death, third party liability and vet fees. I'm not having personal accident cover, or tack, or trailer (obviously) and I've decided to scratch LOU to see how much further it goes down. But still it's at 51 I think it said?!

And Poppy I thought that too.. wasn't sure tho.

loubylou
15th April 2010, 12:05 AM
That does seem extremely expensive- I pay that for Uva and Salsa's Insurance with NFU?!

You need a vetting cert for over 3000 normally, and I know with NFU if horse has been vetted in last year you have to present certificate.

LOU does take the premium up much higher- was 50 for Uva with NFU including LOU

Must admit if I found a quote lower than the majority of the others I would certainly be questioning why!!

Teej
15th April 2010, 12:42 AM
I have both my horses with Stoneways and was able to insure them online with immediate cover. Baby was injured after only a week with me and because it was a 'new trauma', they paid out in full, around 2500!! I did a few combinations before I finalised it to bring the monthly premiums down.

Aeia
15th April 2010, 10:54 AM
Have you tried AM Trust, I'm with them and they've been pretty good. Never had a vetting on Neo when I got him and they never asked. Think I only have him insured for 1k though. Are you wanting to insure for loss of use or just for vets bills?

Loony
16th April 2010, 12:06 AM
Have tried Stoneways, thats 40 a month, which is a lot more reasonable to me! Although I didn't include LOU as they need a 5 stage vetting and he failed it..

Will look at AM Trust now and see when SE is open till.

Aeia
16th April 2010, 10:16 AM
With AM Trust I could pick what cover I wanted. I didn't take liability insurance as I'm covered through Gold BHS membership for that.

Loony
16th April 2010, 07:31 PM
Have gone with Stoneways, thanks xx