View Full Version : Sponsorship on lorry?

17th April 2010, 11:44 AM
Hi ya,

My friend owns a tack and feed shop and has asked if I'd have their logo printed on my lorry in return for 10% off and lots of free stuff :D.

However.. I've heard a rumour that lorries that have logo's/ advertising on can be done for being commercial vehicles requiring different licences to operate?! (Our mechanic mentioned it but was not 100% sure and I've heard that some professionals are getting their lorries resprayed to remove sponsors?!)

Does anyone know if there is an regulations regarding putting advertising on ones private use lorry?

Cheers in advance if anyone knows an answer.

17th April 2010, 12:17 PM
Yes there rules and regs.
The basis of it being that if you are advertising on a lorry it will be considered by VOSA/HMRC that you will be being rewarded for advertising (paid/given free products/%off...even as far as winning a cup!)

Therefore the lorry can no longer be regarded as NOT for hire or reward is therefore commercial and opens a whole can of worms that you dont wont to get in to.

My OH knows of similar problems in amatuer motorsport.

sorry as sounds ideal.


You can get away with having sponsors flags/banners on the lorry when parked up NOT on Public highways ie event lorrypark, but preferably where VOSA will not be in attendance:cheekywink:

Hope that helps:D

17th April 2010, 02:21 PM
Thank you Nic. Saw your reply on HHO too.
Think it's best to leave my lorry as it is. My sister's been pulled a couple of times and they've found nothing wrong, but they keep pulling her. I think it would be stupid to get pulled and pulled up for the sponsorship. Grrrrrrrr. It's annoying.

I'm still going to give VOSA a call on monday though.

17th April 2010, 02:24 PM
Yes technically if you have sponsorship etc on your lorry you will have to have an operators license.

I would go for gettingan advertising banner which you can tie up at shows as vosa are not likely to attend shows, or maybe like a sandwhich board thing that sits outside shops?

You could also get it put on a jacket/gilet for when your at shows etc. This would get noticed more as more people would be likely to see it!

18th April 2010, 07:59 PM
Not only would you need an operators licence but also commercial insurance and as a commercial vehicle it would need to be serviced every six weeks. You would also need to run a tachograph.