PDA

View Full Version : Stencils - buy or make them?

Roo
19th April 2010, 10:45 PM
I want to do a lightening bolt on Cokeys bum, for no real reason just I have seen one recently (can't for the life of me remember where) LOL. And it looked amazing!
We have clippers, but I don't think Cokey has EVER been clipped.

Zeitgeist Mom
19th April 2010, 10:57 PM
I made stencils once to do stars on our pony's bum for a kid's birthday party. I didn't use clippers though, I used blue food dye :lol:. I'll try dredge up a photo ...

bimba
19th April 2010, 11:42 PM
I personally wouldn't go clipping him now as his summer coat will be coming though and you'll damage it. Wait until the autumn and remember that there are other things you need to consider before you clip him like having to rug him more and give him more hard feed as he won't have a big fluffy coat to help him keep warm. If you do decide to clip then I would just cut the shape you want out of a piece of old card and chalk it onto him then clip around it.

Susan
19th April 2010, 11:44 PM
Think Bimba is right about the clipping! If you don't want to take it to ZMs food dye extremes (LOL, can't wait for photos!) then I bought a starry stencil from the Quarter Marker Company which was about 2 on ebay and you can do gorgeous stars in their summer coat just with a damp brush!

Zeitgeist Mom
20th April 2010, 12:05 AM
How cruel am I??? :pmsl:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb216/Hayleywart/Partypony4.jpg

Susan
20th April 2010, 12:17 AM
Hayley!!!!!!! :shocked::scared::shocked::scared::D:lol::D

That is amazing! How long did it last?!

Zeitgeist Mom
20th April 2010, 07:56 AM
:lol: Quite a few days - especially the blue! We were going for the 'My Little Pony' look. Sorry to hijack the post Roo.

Getting back to the original topic - I made up the stars on the computer, then traced them onto some old x-rays I had, and then cut them out. One thing about horsey people - generally never short of old x-rays lying about! :lol:

Roo
20th April 2010, 08:20 AM
That is truley amazing! - If only cokey was grey!!

My Crazy Clan
20th April 2010, 09:35 PM
Always wanted to try them but never got round to it, never thought about makeing my own.