View Full Version : Haflingers.

chescar
21st April 2010, 08:14 PM
What colour are they?

Chestnut or palamino?

or both?

chescar
21st April 2010, 08:17 PM
Are all haflingers chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail?

lilholley
21st April 2010, 08:19 PM
I think so - because you can't ever breed a bay or black from two chestnuts - because chestnut is a recessive gene, so the horse must have two of the genes to be chestnut, hence no black genes to pop out..
Wonder if you can get ones without Flaxen though?

Zeitgeist Mom
21st April 2010, 08:30 PM
Chestnut!! Annoys me so much when people call them palomino. Like people who say 'golden labrador'. It's my pet peeve!

BEX101
21st April 2010, 08:32 PM
chestnut - if they were palamino you would get them in cremello as well (which you dont)

Anni~Bell
21st April 2010, 08:35 PM
Yep all Haflingers are Chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail. I learnt this when i read Piggys registration papers :)

CityLights
22nd April 2010, 03:17 PM
Chestnut they arent the same colour as a pally, pallys are meant to be like 'the colour of a newly minted coin' apparently, and very white manes where as Haffies have a more cream or flaxen mane

My Crazy Clan
22nd April 2010, 03:25 PM
I would say chestnut with flax mane and tail.

Catg
22nd April 2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah it really frustrates me when I do a search on horsemart for Pally's and get a load of Haffy's back in the results, not that I don't like Haffy's but they're not Palomino's!

Zeb is Palomino, here is a pic. Maybe if Jane would post a pic of Stan too you will then clearly see the difference. Also Palomino is just a colour (Zeb is a PB Arab) thus come in all shapes and sizes whereas as Haflingers are a breed, I've heard people contradict this and say that in America there is a breed called Palomino but I've neever seen it.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt94/Catghamlin/Zebedee/Prelim.jpg

Poppy and Harmony
22nd April 2010, 07:18 PM
Theres is a Palomino stud book in America, so yes they are a breed :p I believe they are rather picky about it too.
Also paint horses are a breed too, I believe, whereas over here they would just be classed as a colour type

Anni~Bell
22nd April 2010, 08:09 PM
Jane wierd question but does Stans mane grow??

IrishGreenSheep
22nd April 2010, 11:13 PM
Well you learn something new everyday don't you :) Thats a fact I never knew, thanks EW

kiagirl
23rd April 2010, 05:23 PM
Yes its true I am afraid so I own a chestnut mare lol. A haffy is not the image you typically think of. She is affectionately known in the village as "the blonde one" though lol.

CityLights
23rd April 2010, 06:00 PM
Theres is a Palomino stud book in America, so yes they are a breed :p I believe they are rather picky about it too.
Also paint horses are a breed too, I believe, whereas over here they would just be classed as a colour type

just becasue there is a stud book it doesnt make it a breed, paint horses are a bred as they are defined by specific sizes and characterisitcs, and you can have non characteristic paint horses that are still called paint horses due to breeding,

the palomino stud book is just a stud book for anything that is palomino including horses ponies, cobs warmbloods TB etc etc and therefore is not a breed, its a colour

Horse Mad Mum
24th April 2010, 05:38 PM
defo flaxen mane and tail and chestnut ! to call them palaminos is sacralige as far as I can make out !!! STna has a mane to die for Goldie is quite straggly in comparison , although Jane says she is just a modern girl !!! lol HMM X

lil_legs
27th April 2010, 10:46 AM
Haha! It grows but then it gets to a certain length and just stays the same. It gets straggly at the ends and breaks - being sort of fluffy I don't think it is strong enough to grow really long.

I was going to ask you the samething as Anni lol!!

Piggy's doesn't grow, she just has fluff heehee.

I don't think she'd look right with a long mane lol.

Burnie
1st May 2010, 02:41 PM
I had no idea, always thought they were palomino! :shocked::ashamed: