PDA

View Full Version : Winter feeds

XxFudgexX
21st September 2009, 03:10 PM
With winter not far away now what are you planning on feeding your horses, my two will be out this year until we move so could be all winter could be in by christmas depends how quick our house sells

so they will both be on speedi beet, chaff and benevit with lots of hay, see how they get on if they start losing too much i shall add something else.

My Crazy Clan
21st September 2009, 03:11 PM
kiwkbeet, D&H Fibengy(chaff) and graze-on(bagged grass) hay 24/7.

I am still on just D&H Fibengy at the moment, will introduce kiwkbeet in the next few weeks then graze-on.

Bay Chaos
21st September 2009, 03:34 PM
At the moment all 3 of mine are just on balancers, as are 3 of my friends. However, the other 2 are already on more.

In our feed room we have
Balancers
Hi fi good doer
Mollichaff show shine
speedibeet
calm and condition

so if they need more they will have a combination of the above! I hope to get away with just balancer, mollichaff and speedibeet for dina and champ and I will get away with good doer and balancer for bridie!!!!!

Ali27
21st September 2009, 04:08 PM
I have been feeding Rhia 2 mugs of Baileys lo cal and half scoop of hi fi throughout the summer. I am going to continue with this and increase to a scoop of hi fi and maybe add some sugar beet. She will also have a few high fibre cubes in her snack ball. I'm lucky as she keeps condition during the winter but usually I add competition mix and race cubest to give her extra energy. However I have found this brilliant supplement called Nupafeed staying power so will give her this instead a few days before any competitions for extra energy rather than using hard feed!

Trio
21st September 2009, 05:19 PM
need calming stuff so

spillers conditioning fibre
healthy hoof
fast fibre

CDR
21st September 2009, 05:20 PM
Mollichop/chaff, Bailey's everyday high fibre mix and then if he loses condition/weight or starts doing a lot more I'm going to add in beet. Plus he gets an apple in his evening feed.

lil_legs
21st September 2009, 06:08 PM
I am experimenting with Jasper this year lol.

He usually has half a scoop of calm and condition, and half a scoop of cool mix, plus a scoop of alpha a oil.

This year i am going to try him without the calm and condition and hope that the cool mix doesn't send him loopy lol.

He has been fine all summer on it, and i am hoping him being out all winter will help.

Alfie will have half a scoop of Cool mix and scoop of Alpha a.

Hannah will have scoop of cool mix and scoop of Alpha a.

easyrider
21st September 2009, 08:04 PM
same as they have all year round

one is on lo cal and chaff

the other calm and condition and chaff

will at some point around end nov change dengie to alpha a oil and add some beet when they need it but feeds tend to stay the same all year, i would rather they have plenty of hay its more natural than big buckets of feed

vels mum
21st September 2009, 08:14 PM
Vel - Ultimate balancer (had lo-cal balancer through summer), speedibeet, chaff, leisure mix, codlavine, biotin and linseed oil.
Turk - speedibeet, pony nuts, codlavine for joints, chaff, biotin.
Dollie - same as Turk but less than half his portions and just normal codlavine.

All will have 2 haynets a day a carrots and apples for treats.

loubylou
21st September 2009, 11:00 PM
Im still tossing up what Uva will be on- I am struggling to find a mix for horses in plain medium work- hesitant to put her one competition mix as dont see her as being a competition horse, but the majority of feeds seem to be more for light work. I just want to make sure she has the energy over the winter to school/compete without the grass!! I find feeding a minefield, and the feedlines all recommend their own products- who do I contact to get independent advice!!

The others will be on high fibre cubes and hifi, with garlic supplement. Will use speedibeet later in the winter, prob around Jan time.

amandaxx1
22nd September 2009, 04:27 PM
Will be a handful (literally!) of happy hoof and a couple of carrots and some garlic, if he starts to lose energy will get some baileys lo-cal again. Oh and a small net of haylege over night

beenie
23rd September 2009, 08:34 AM
im not sure what to feed Jake this year, he normally has Dengi hi fi and carrots and hay but he got very bored of that last year so i want to look into something a bit more tasty, he will be ridden almost every day and hacked out at weekends, any ideas?? he is a 12.2hh Welsh sec A??

CityLights
23rd September 2009, 10:47 AM
both mine are in now as Ollie is a stable hugger and doesnt like being away from kizzie, HIGH maitenace does not eve begin to describe him!

Kizzie is preggers so will get a little more feed around december time so baby is big and healthy although she always has a very good diet and is supplemented well, Ollie apparently keeps really well so i shouldnt need to feed him too much but might need a little mroe energy feed later on and when i start doing more after getting to grips with him

CityLights
23rd September 2009, 10:49 AM
Im still tossing up what Uva will be on- I am struggling to find a mix for horses in plain medium work- hesitant to put her one competition mix as dont see her as being a competition horse, but the majority of feeds seem to be more for light work. I just want to make sure she has the energy over the winter to school/compete without the grass!! I find feeding a minefield, and the feedlines all recommend their own products- who do I contact to get independent advice!!

The others will be on high fibre cubes and hifi, with garlic supplement. Will use speedibeet later in the winter, prob around Jan time.

if you contact the feed companies they will obviously recommend thier own feeds but they give you a nutrtional break down of what each feed is made of so then you can looks at theres and compare to what the other feed companies recomended and try and work out whcih would be best,

i personally like Allen and Page feeds and Saracen feeds although you cant always get hold of Saracen that easily

chance encounter
23rd September 2009, 11:08 AM
Mine will stay on what they have now but probably a little more although I have plenty of grass yet to get mine through the winter so will keep an eye on them and weight tape them every week to make sure they arent losing or putting on too much weight.

Diggi on the other hand being a growing boy we might have to give him something more so will see how he goes.

I dont give any of mine hard feed. They get chaff & fast fibre with their own supplements but as Ive said before I have excellent grazing at my yard.

Poppy and Harmony
23rd September 2009, 03:49 PM
I've just switched Harmony onto her winter feed for this year
3/4 scoop Alfa A Oil
1/2 scoop Calm and Condition
1/3 scoop Speedi Beet

She gets this once a day atm, but depends on her weight I may just do a dry feed for the mornings

Teej
23rd September 2009, 05:50 PM
I use the long scoops rather than the large round ones and all their feed is weighed.

Chip
Summer: Out 24/7 unless the weather is bad. One small meal a day to cover his supplements (Equifeasts Essential Daily Care+garlic) of Hi-fi Lite, Baileys No 4 conditioning cubes, carrots & sometimes apples. They get around half a section of hay every day whilst tied up for grooming etc
Winter: Two meals a day of the above plus speedibeet & sunflower oil + several sections of hay as they're in at night

Baby as above but she gets hi fibre nuts rather than conditioning cubes and no oil.

I'm planning to change the Hi fi lite though as its not recommended by the Barefoot people and could be part of the reason why Chip gets quite footy.