PDA

View Full Version : She's a nightmare to bring in

Roan Mare
28th April 2010, 02:22 PM
After having problems with my ponio escaping from the field I've finally put up a new electric fence that actually works. Would be great news...but... she's had a few shocks off it and has gone from having no respect to being completely terrified of it.

I'm now having difficulty bringing her in from the field as the field gate is within a few metres of the fence.

As soon as we get close to the fence (doesn't have to be close enough to touch it) she flies into panic. She rears up, she tries to bolt (and succeeded the first couple of times she did it) and has even spun round and threatened to kick me:(:(

Yesterday even when we had got through the gate she continued rearing up and trying to run back to her stable.

I've tried bribing her past it with treats but it's getting really difficult for me. There are other horses in the field who try to take advantage of the situation and bolt through the gate themselves.

I've had Dor for 3 years and she has never been a problem to bring in before so I don't know what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My Crazy Clan
28th April 2010, 03:19 PM
I would take her to it and stand there for a while, praising her, showing her it won't hurt if she doesn't touch it, just be calm and if shes trys to bolt don't let her, if she succeeds take her back then, until she walks calmly through it, try walking on the outside of her instead.

TanyanChewy
28th April 2010, 03:28 PM
Oh dear,

can you enlist the help of any of the people who own her field mates and ask if they'd mind spending a little time walking their's through the gateway and have Dor follow them to try and build confidence?

Or perhaps (once the others have been brought in) try feeding her alone by the gate entrance to get her used to being there but food to take her mind off the fear?

Is the ticking of the electric quite loud? How about turning the electric off for a bit and see if she calms down - maybe you might not even need it turned on now she is wary?

Sorry probably useless advice but I hope she gets her head round it soon x

BEX101
28th April 2010, 05:23 PM
all i can say is try and keep calm and persevere

XenaWarriorPrincess
29th April 2010, 09:26 PM
Do you switch it off when you bring her in? Like TanyanChewy said, perhaps the ticking is winding her up even more. I have to swtich it off when i bring mine in else they try and bolt past.
Do you bring her in on a normal headcollar? How about truing a bridle and lunge line or a dually type halter...
xx

so-n-so
30th April 2010, 01:17 PM
i agree with turning it off when you bring her thru it - my lot wont go near any part of it if its ticking.

have you tried to just walk her thu the gateway a few times? she maybe thinking that if she plays up its gone and out of the way so she may start to do it all the time and become a habit.
id bring her out, then turn round after a few steps and go back thru. do this till she is totally bored of it, she has to learn that when she walks thru with you its not going to hurt.

your not far from me are you? x

Roan Mare
1st May 2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks everyone :)

I'm going to spend some time tomorrow morning walking back and forth through the gate with some treats for if she does it nicely.

The horses are normally not in the field on Sunday mornings so at least I won't have to worry about the other horses winding her up or trying to bolt through the gate whilst it's open.

I tried leading her through behind the others on Thursday night but unfortunately she just got stressed as she was last :confused:

I will try turning the fence off too. Thinking about it the ticking is pretty loud and could be winding her up more.

Some great suggestions,

Thanks again x

Roan Mare
1st May 2010, 03:52 PM
your not far from me are you? x

Where are you so-n-so?

so-n-so
2nd May 2010, 10:31 AM
Where are you so-n-so?

i live in garforth leeds. xx

Roan Mare
2nd May 2010, 01:57 PM
i live in garforth leeds. xx

Not too far from me then. I'm in Bradford/Halifax area but I've got some friends near you in Kippax x

Roan Mare
2nd May 2010, 02:02 PM
Well I had a pretty good morning with Dor today.

The field was empty so I took her down with a pocket full of carrots :)

I took her grazing in hand along the length of the fence. She started panicing when we got closer to the gate but I just stood with her and rewarded her with a carrot everytime she took a step closer to the gate and didn't rear up or swing her bum round.

We eventually walked through the gate (rather than run) with minimal fuss so I was quite pleased.

I'll try the same thing at proper bringing in time and see how I get on.

so-n-so
4th May 2010, 12:29 PM
Not too far from me then. I'm in Bradford/Halifax area but I've got some friends near you in Kippax x

ahh small world eh!

i thought you were in Doncaster for some reason!! :lol:

well done on what you did the other day! sounds good!
if your stuck for help lemme know and i will see when i could come over to help if you like. xx

Roan Mare
5th May 2010, 05:24 PM
ahh small world eh!

i thought you were in Doncaster for some reason!! :lol:

well done on what you did the other day! sounds good!
if your stuck for help lemme know and i will see when i could come over to help if you like. xx

Cheers :D

Will keep you up to date x