PDA

View Full Version : Equine Oxyshot.... anyone used them?

BEX101
3rd May 2010, 06:24 PM
talking to someone who has just been to a show with her stallion and she mentioned giving him a oxyshot beforehand to calm him down. I've not heard of them before so googled them.

Anyone used them?

ghostrider
3rd May 2010, 09:31 PM
have seen them advertised, and they reckon can be used for travelling, farrier, dentist etc, so am thinking of giving one a go. wonder just how good they are?

BEX101
3rd May 2010, 10:20 PM
There website is pretty interesting (NASA Technology aparently!:p) The woman i was talking too has got a stallion that was going to a big indoor driving competition and she gave it him to calm him down - practically went to sleep aparently, she had another dose for her second class but decided not to use it.

Twizzel
3rd May 2010, 10:22 PM
I think it works... in fact I'm pretty certain it works... but like other calmers you need to find one to suit your horse, as they have different active ingredients. It's very much trial and error- what works on one horse may have no effect on another. There's a human one too... I'm tempted to try it haha...

Burnie
3rd May 2010, 10:31 PM
I got some for travelling Tilly and for use before a show as she gets so excitable. Have to say I didn't notice any difference at all :miffed:

Partner
4th May 2010, 04:14 PM
I have used it with Lantis who can really get in a state if he puts his mind to it. It was recommended by a friend who has used it with several horses. I must say it has worked well with him (gave 20mins before competing - it is competition legal) and I gradually reduced the dose from 25ml over time so that he barely gets any now. It still seems to calm us both so whether it is psychological or not who cares?! He works best on about 12ml - calm but not flat for his dressage.

The one time it did not work is when I forgot you have to give it on an empty stomach and OH had given him a haynet for the journey.

I did also try it on a horse with separation anxiety but it did not work for her.

chance encounter
4th May 2010, 05:49 PM
My friend uses them on her Section A only for indoor shows as he doesnt like the music and the clapping. She ear plugs him too, sometimes they work sometimes they dont. My other friend uses a different kind. Cant remember but it is someone's name and they work on her horse but they dont half stink of magnesium, really makes me feel sick when he slobbers all over me!!

sparkey
5th May 2010, 07:50 AM
I'm sooooooooo skeptical of this stuff! The active ingredient is oxygen? It's water with added oxygen. Come on! Placebo effect anyone?! Calmer rider = calmer horse.

Twizzel
5th May 2010, 10:48 AM
I'm sooooooooo skeptical of this stuff! The active ingredient is oxygen? It's water with added oxygen. Come on! Placebo effect anyone?! Calmer rider = calmer horse.

The 'science' doesn't add up, but believe me, after a horse having it one week, and being exposed to the same situation the next week without it, there was no placebo about it... it was like having a different horse. Even when the horse was being handled on the ground, it behaved completely different so it wasn't down to the rider being calmer.

Bay Chaos
5th May 2010, 07:34 PM
I give it to dina and it definately works.... although we do double dose it!!!!!!!!!

CityLights
5th May 2010, 07:37 PM
Expensive and rubbish, im syure it works on certain horses but not found one that it does, its dead watery and im sure its just a placebo for the rider more than anything, instant magics are good as is nupafeed

Bay Chaos
5th May 2010, 07:56 PM
Well, as I've said oxyshot works for dina, but instant magic is a complete waste of money, I guess it is a case of just finding what works.