PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive pony (long one sorry)

Lesley_78
6th May 2010, 04:30 PM
Is it normal for a mare to cling to a youngster?

Luna who is 5 is really obsessive with Lexie who is rising 1 they had only been out together once on the old farm and Luna was getting really nasty with the other horses when they were trying to get near her but she is not a bit like this with my other mare Lou.

I have recently moved yards and while I'm waiting on a horse stable Luna and Lexie are stabled next to each other. It has now got to the point where Luna is shouting constantly for Lexie and really stressing herself out when they are apart.
We put them out with all the other horses and Luna was that bad attacking anything that came near Lexie we had to bring her in leaving Lexie and Lou out and they were fine with the other horses and Luna just kept calling to her.

My 3 are now in a field together while worming and changing of fields is being done and by next week the mares and geldings are being seperated so my 3 will be together with the rest of the mares, I'm just worried Luna will hurt someone elses horse as she gets really nasty even chasing youngsters away :( one girl said she may have had a foal in the past and it was taken away too early causing this obssesion.

I don't know her past history I have only owned her about 10 weeks she is the sweetest most affectionate pony you will ever meet but turns into a monster when she is around Lexie (only with horses). I did want them to live out but think it might be too much of a problem.

So now I'm in a dilemma do I just throw them out and let them sort things out or should I put them out seperately??

Please help :scared:

Hannibal
6th May 2010, 06:51 PM
Mine isnt a mare but, my larger gelding is like that with the smaller one (the smaller one being older). They're inseparable and he won’t let any other horses near him in the field. But they've been together for 6 years, stabled next to each other and in the same field, so i'm not sure if that's the same thing as you're going through! but saying that, the lil old one has always paired up with a larger horse in the field to keep the others away! I dont know whether it's just instinct from some to protect what they see is the most vulnerable horse in the field. Unfortunately i have no advice, as we take both of mine together everywhere and they dont have other horses in their field.

Sorry I cant be more help!

CityLights
6th May 2010, 08:59 PM
Horses just get attached i wouldnt say it was a mare and foal thing at all, we have geldings at work that are the same, mares and geldings too and my gelding is totally obsesed with the foal and the foal is more attached to him than his mother

being in a bigger herd i imagine will either make it better as she has other horses to make friends and cling to or will make her more possisive, i would probably just serpate them entirely if possible

My Crazy Clan
7th May 2010, 12:34 AM
Personally I would give them all tie to settle.

Lesley_78
7th May 2010, 04:43 PM
I had to seperate them last night I put Lou out with the other 2 and then brought Luna in to ride.

Well Luna just kicked off was constantly calling to Lexie and Lexie isnt at all bothered, we had her tied up outside and couldnt even groom her she got herself into a state kicking nearby buckets and throwing her shoulder into the wall. so the tack got threw on her and she was taken to the paddock where she still carried on calling and spinning napping ect and was just naughty:mad::mad:

So I brought the other 2 in and kicked her out all night she eventually calmed down so I'm just going to have to leave her out of a night and swap them. I have never seen a carry on like that before and it wasnt nice!