PDA

View Full Version : a hypothetical insurance question.

jodee
22nd September 2009, 03:12 PM
ok....

so if you dont need a vetting for insurance what is stopping you from taking insurance out after your horse has gone lame... got injured etc. like prince for instance... has been on off lame for a few months. if he wasnt already insured could i in theory insure him, then register him with another vet.

im guessing it is probaly illegal in some way?

jodee
22nd September 2009, 03:44 PM
If your horse needed vetinary treatment, and your horse was injured/lame before you got the cover, the vets would know, and as they would be in contact with the insurance company anyway regarding the horses problem, they would most likely tell them that the problem had been there before the owner says it has, which would then most likely get you in a lot of trouble i.e suspected fraud.

but what if some registered their horse with another vet, so that this vets had no idea the horse was on/off lame?
thanks for the indepth answer bc. your good at explaining things!

by the way im not planning on doing this! my horses are already insured! purely hypothetical.

Lorraine
22nd September 2009, 04:44 PM
When you take out insurance they ask you a number of standard questions one of which is something along the lines of "has your horse ever sufferred in the past, or is currently suffering from, any illness or injury".

If you answer no, when in fact the answer is yes, then I would hazard a guess that a) this would make your insurance void, and b) would make you guilty of fraud (obtaining services by deception) for which you could be prosecuted.