PDA

View Full Version : Foal conformation?

classic astra
13th May 2010, 08:24 PM
can you really tell much about a foals conformation before the first year? i know you could probably tell if it was outrageous but im just wondering if skye has good conformation or not?

pic to remind u

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af199/classic_astra26/DSC04066.jpg

XenaWarriorPrincess
13th May 2010, 09:22 PM
Its really hard to tell with foals untill all their joints and limbs have straightened out :lol:
And also they are constantly growing so change so quickly!
Cant see anything glaringly obvious though!!

CityLights
14th May 2010, 10:06 AM
its very hard to tell but most things can be corrected anyway with remidal work, there is an article in horse and hound at the moment about twisty foals but its more about extreme cases rather than small problems

She looks like she may have a small turn on her left fore but that might be how she is stood,

King steps slightly on the inside of his feet but is otherwise perfectly straight just like his mum, but the farrier is going to come do a small amount of remidal work just trimming to fix how he stands,

a good farrier will be able to do the same for Skye i would maybe ask your farrier to come call in just to have a look to see what he thinks and if he can do something about it if she isnt quite straight

she has a nice short back though, kings a bit long and she looks like she has a good shoulder

sparkey
15th May 2010, 05:11 PM
All of the foals from Darley are examined weekly from when they are a couple of weeks old so that immediate action can be taken if they start to deviate at all, so yeah, you can tell! Definitely for leg confo anyway, not sure about general body confo. You need to look at them head on and walking away and towards you.