PDA

View Full Version : Is this true ???

My Crazy Clan
16th May 2010, 03:05 PM
A cremello and a chestnut guaranteed to have a Palomino foal?

Twizzel
16th May 2010, 03:12 PM
I think so? The cremello carries the dominant dilute gene so if the chestnut has no black genes there should be a palomino foal, a bay + cremello = buckskin.

BEX101
16th May 2010, 03:12 PM
- yes

A cremello is a chestnut with 2 dilution genes (one from each parent) so will pass on 1 of those genes to its progeny.

So if put to a chestnut it should have a palamino.

But put 2 palaminos together you could get chestnut/palamino or cremello

My Crazy Clan
16th May 2010, 05:50 PM
Ah right i see, not sure if the mare has any blacks, shes a pure reg section d, chestnut and the cremello is an Arab, his stud fee is 850 and they are thinking about using him once their mare drops her foal in a few months, they paid 500 for a cloloued stallion to cover their mare, supposed to be the dogs ******, hes not even registered just a fine looking cloloured driving stallion.

BEX101
16th May 2010, 06:12 PM
The mare wont have any black gene. Chestnut is recessive so when a horse is chestnut it has to be carrying 2 chestnut genes.

Thats a pretty big stud fee - i'm sure there's plenty about that are pretty nice and cost less.

My Crazy Clan
16th May 2010, 06:49 PM
The mare wont have any black gene. Chestnut is recessive so when a horse is chestnut it has to be carrying 2 chestnut genes.

Thats a pretty big stud fee - i'm sure there's plenty about that are pretty nice and cost less.

My thoughts exackly, don't get me wrong he was lovely but I've seen better at better prices, no telling people like that though.

CityLights
16th May 2010, 06:58 PM
yes but breeding just for colour is not a very good reason to choose a stallion, colour is the icing on the cake, and 850 sounds awfully steep to me

My Crazy Clan
16th May 2010, 07:05 PM
yes but breeding just for colour is not a very good reason to choose a stallion, colour is the icing on the cake, and 850 sounds awfully steep to me

I know :rolleyes:

Lets put it this way, as long as its got a flange or balls they will breed it too absolutely anything, they don't care about the foal it will be sold on, just like the other 2, they don't even know if they welsh d mares in foal! it will be ready to drop in July/August, they are doing it because she paid 5000 for this welsh d mare, ride and drive but she couldn't sell her on for no more then 1500 ( and that was offered to her from the old owner!) the trouble with her is shes too gullible and got ripped off, the horse has been stuck in the field since then out of work, now in foal as they believe.

classic astra
16th May 2010, 07:35 PM
this does annoy me alot with irresponsible breeders!!! alot like where most my ponies have come from.

when i was thinking of breeding jazz i looked at so many stallions, even con type ones as i wanted to get the one that suited her the best combined with tempermant, a good jump and a good conformation! colour wasnt really the main aspect although ive always wanted a coloured, i mainly wanted something that would jump. zesiro just seemed to be the best choice, as he was close i spent quite a bit of time around him, and he just was the best man for the job, and im 150% sure and happy that i made the right choice as skye is perfect for me.

i dont think colour should come as main priority when choosing a stallion at all, and especially not at that price!

Bay Chaos
16th May 2010, 09:26 PM
Yes they would.

But

You can't get a cremello arab.

there is no dilution gene in purebred arabs, so the arab will have to be a part bred.

My Crazy Clan
16th May 2010, 10:54 PM
Yes they would.

But

You can't get a cremello arab.

there is no dilution gene in purebred arabs, so the Arab will have to be a part bred.

Really? she showed me a photo, he looked pure arab, will have to find out for sure.

My mum also said she owned a pure arab colt, not sure what he would be classed as but he was pally but very creamy, I would say cremello but don't they have red eyes and pink skin?

My Crazy Clan
16th May 2010, 10:54 PM
this does annoy me alot with irresponsible breeders!!! alot like where most my ponies have come from.

when i was thinking of breeding jazz i looked at so many stallions, even con type ones as i wanted to get the one that suited her the best combined with tempermant, a good jump and a good conformation! colour wasnt really the main aspect although ive always wanted a coloured, i mainly wanted something that would jump. zesiro just seemed to be the best choice, as he was close i spent quite a bit of time around him, and he just was the best man for the job, and im 150% sure and happy that i made the right choice as skye is perfect for me.

i dont think colour should come as main priority when choosing a stallion at all, and especially not at that price!

Gets up my nose too but no telling people like this, all they see is the dogs ball and money.

Bay Chaos
17th May 2010, 09:50 PM
Rhea, The only colours that 100% pure arabs 'come' in are grey, bay, chestnut and very occassionally black.

However, there are many high percentage part breds around that look pure that aren't. (ie my friend owns a 99.something % arab who is homozygous for colour, he is lush!)

Catg
17th May 2010, 10:59 PM
Rhea, The only colours that 100% pure arabs 'come' in are grey, bay, chestnut and very occassionally black.

However, there are many high percentage part breds around that look pure that aren't. (ie my friend owns a 99.something % arab who is homozygous for colour, he is lush!)

Yup, I think Zeb looks very araby in this pic yet he is a mix breed. There's definitely some Arab in there somewhere though!

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt94/Catghamlin/Zebedee/IMG_3518.jpg

sometimes he looks more araby than others, depends how he's holding his head x

Loosey
21st May 2010, 10:49 PM
So out of curiosity, what would happen if you put a black mare with a cremello stallion or vice versa? I find all this colour stuff fascinating!

BEX101
21st May 2010, 11:02 PM
So out of curiosity, what would happen if you put a black mare with a cremello stallion or vice versa? I find all this colour stuff fascinating!

You'd get a blue dun. Black based horse with the cream dilution on top.

BEX101
21st May 2010, 11:03 PM
Or..... If your black may was carrying a recessive chestnut gene then your back to getting a palomino

Loosey
22nd May 2010, 12:57 AM
God it's all so confusing but so interesting! How about a cremello with a skewbald?! Are you bored yet?? I'm not!! :D

BEX101
22nd May 2010, 08:07 AM
God it's all so confusing but so interesting! How about a cremello with a skewbald?! Are you bored yet?? I'm not!! :D

Dun and white patches (or pally and white if the skewbald carries the chestnut gene)

What you've got to remember is that there are really only 2 colours horses come in. Red and Black. Every other colour we see is red or black with a modifier, masking or pattern gene over the top.
So if you have an what genes it carries you can figure out the odds on what colour a foal will turn out like.
Some horses have more than 1 type of modifier over their base colour which makes the out come of a foal more complicated.

All genes come in pairs (one off each parent) When we say a horse is HOMOZYGOUS it means it has 2 genes that are the same (ie black/black) so will always pass that gene onto its offspring.
HETROZYGOUS means the 2 genes are different (ie x1 chesntut and x1 black) Black is dominant over chestnut so it will LOOK black but have a 50/50 chance of passing either gene onto its babies.

My Crazy Clan
22nd May 2010, 12:50 PM
wow you know your stuff bex, love hearing about it too :)

Can you test any horse? or do they have to be registered.

BEX101
22nd May 2010, 01:23 PM
wow you know your stuff bex, love hearing about it too :)

Can you test any horse? or do they have to be registered.

They can do any horse. Its a company called animal genetics uk. All they need are 15-30 pulled mane or tail hairs. they do tests for genetic disorders as well.