PDA

View Full Version : Mare or gelding, your favourite

vels mum
22nd September 2009, 08:29 PM
My first horse was a mare but we never 'clicked', prob more down to my age and her level of training.

Since then ive always had geldings, I love their nature, presence and temperament. I vowed id never bond with a mare.

However I bought a Welsh B for the kids and she is slowly but VERY surely growing on me.
Her nature is totally different to the boys, its like you have to earn her trust and prove to her you are there only to treat her well.
Dont know if this is because of her past or just mares in general.
Vel was very accepting of me from the first meet. Accepted me as mum from day one, however I believe Dollie has only accepted me as a leader in the last few weeks.
Do any of you mare owners feel you had to prove yourselves to your horse, perhaps its down to Dollies past but I find geldings are more trusting than mares.

Both are very different I find, but now I firmly believe I can bond with mares too.

bailey
22nd September 2009, 08:38 PM
ive always had mares, until i got OG

i soooo prefere geldings, less moody lol

jodee
22nd September 2009, 08:47 PM
ive always only had geldings and will probally stick to geldings! cant really comment on mares as ive never had one!

Betseyboo
22nd September 2009, 08:50 PM
Having had both I couldn't choose! I have clicked with all of mine. They do say if you're lucky enough to find a good little mare.........keep her! xxxx

chescar
22nd September 2009, 09:03 PM
Only had geldings - my sister always had mares. Think i prefer geldings

My Crazy Clan
22nd September 2009, 09:07 PM
Stallions for me.......sorry I've got to be different.

Loony
22nd September 2009, 09:08 PM
I always said I'd NEVER have a mare.. but now I really wouldn't mind having one. So 6 months ago, I'd be here saying GELDING for definate!!! But now I don't mind either :)

Ali27
22nd September 2009, 09:13 PM
As a kid, i always had geldingings but now I have two mares who I love soooo much! I find mares really affectionate and I am now a mare fan!

fairyfeet
22nd September 2009, 09:40 PM
Only owned 2 mares and got along fine with both but do prefer my geldings. They seem so much more affectionate!

K8E
22nd September 2009, 09:49 PM
I had three mares and i said i would never ever have a gelding. I just didnt think they were affectionate enough but then i got Copper (they say never say never lol) and he is more affectionate than my old pony Candy was or ever would be. Amber was very loving and affectionate. I now no longer have mares and i do miss having them. I love both geldings and mares.

Catg
22nd September 2009, 10:04 PM
Geldings for me all the way. To be fair my only experience of mares is a six month share and she was ok actually. She had her problems but I think that was due to how she had been handled.

I just feel more comfortable with geldings because that's what I know.

Welly
22nd September 2009, 10:04 PM
Gelding every time! I used to love mares but now I couldn't be bothered with their flighty ways I don't think - geldings so much easier in general! xx

Twizzel
22nd September 2009, 10:23 PM
Having shared a mare, and currently riding geldings, I much prefer geldings!! Ebony was very opinionated and dominant, we clashed quite a bit looking back. Everything was always on her terms- when she decided she would come in from the field, she decided whether she was going to go forward, she decided when she would stand still. Geldings seem to give in a bit easier, not as dominant and more willing to form a bond with you.

That said one of the horses I look after is a mare and she's gorgeous, lovely temperament, whinnys every time you enter the field and comes up to say hello...

flambards
23rd September 2009, 01:50 AM
Up until this summer, I would have said geldings. It's all I've owned and all I've been able to click with.

But after Jazzy this summer, I've turned a bit. I really like the sensitive fussyness of most mares - they can be absolute little brats but I feel like once you get them over to your side, you've got a friend for life. Sort of sentimental way of putting it, but I dunno. I feel like if I was looking to get another horse right now I'd be focusing on mares - but I'm not and I love my little boogerfaced gelding so that's the way things will stay.

Evening Star
23rd September 2009, 02:42 AM
I'm really on the fence. I've only owned mares and I think some of their problems were more due to their personalities than the fact that they were mares.
though i've found geldings are a lot more chill

CityLights
23rd September 2009, 11:10 AM
i think i prefer mares almost always had mares, the only two geldings i had prior to Ollie and Dennis were absolute *****, one would buck like stink and the other would do nothing but rear, geldings can be a bit dim and wussy but some i get along with well,

Roan Mare
23rd September 2009, 11:24 AM
(mares) can be absolute little brats but I feel like once you get them over to your side, you've got a friend for life.

Yeah, I'd definately agree with this and it reflects how things have panned out with my girl.

I found her very hard work to begin with but then we just sort of "clicked" and I really wouldn't be without her now :D

I don't think she'll ever be an affectionate pony in the same way as some of the geldings on the yard but at the same time she always stops what she's doing and gives me a big whinney when I walk past the field whilst going about my business on the yard :D:D She's the easiest pony to catch on the yard (comes straight too me without fail) and always, always tries for me.

Ok so she has her stroppy, hormonal moments but so do I and we have just learned to cope with each other when we're that way out ;)

I adore my mare and would definately have other mares, although I have nothing against geldings either.

Poppy and Harmony
23rd September 2009, 03:38 PM
I'm really not sure. I think it totally depends on the horse as an individual - the two horses that have been the loves of my life, one was a gelding and one is mare :)

jenjen333
23rd September 2009, 11:43 PM
i have a mare and although at first it took ages to click now i wouldnt swop her for anything, i also had a mare on loan for four years so although they are may be more difficult to bond with now i wouldnt be without her, her mood swings give her character!

beks the artist
24th September 2009, 11:23 AM
Both! It wouldn't bother me either way, to me a horse is a horse! xx

Loosey
24th September 2009, 11:39 AM
I've always had geldings and always said I didn't want a mare - then I got clemmy and the bond I had with her was stronger than any I've had had before. (I want her back!)

I've had a couple of geldings since but I think my opinion has totally swayed to mares now! Bella has a real character, when she's happy to do things she's wonderful but she really put her foot down when she's had enough!

My Crazy Clan
24th September 2009, 08:17 PM
I think it totally depends on the horse as an individual :)

Totally agree!

Pie_x
24th September 2009, 10:11 PM
Both but i do find geldings more affectionate x

Noodle lu
24th September 2009, 10:15 PM
Geldings for me, cant be doing with the mood swings!

Teej
25th September 2009, 03:24 PM
I have one of each and love them both :)

Baby does have her moody moments but we usually find it quite funny how she continually has her mouth open to 'get' you! Shes usually pulls away at the last minute but she looks like she means business ! She can be quite affectionate and we have a very strong bond. She always whinneys to say hello but you have to walk the length of the field to her, she hardly ever comes to you. Sometimes if she's in a generous mood, she will look up at you giving you hope that she may come over and then puts her head straight back down to graze again :rolleyes: She is such a madam, but a very cute one :D.

Chip has his moody moments too and his ears are often flat back whilst being groomed as he's so ticklish. My daughter gets upset because even though its me causing the tickling, he turns around to look for her or Baby and puts his ears back at them!!! He only puts his ears back at me if I'm the only one there! He sometimes threatens to nip when I'm doing his girth up too. He never whinneys to say hello but he does watch my every move when he's tied up on the yard or in his stable and he always comes to me when I call him in the field :D . He doesn't really get the whole affection thing but he seems to have accepted that he needs to be hugged and kissed.

Squid
25th September 2009, 03:28 PM
I've only ever had a gelding so I'd say geldings! When I used to work at the yard though I think the geldings were better than the mares anyway! Too moody. I think we just clashed! haha :o

Puss in boots
26th September 2009, 08:02 PM
I have had mares, geldings and a stallion over the years, the one i have kept is my fab mare, i think i do have a preference for mares. But the geldings we had and the stallion were excellent and did not put me off.
I love mares and the fact you also have the option to breed is great :D

Stacey
28th September 2009, 05:28 PM
defo prefer geldings

All my pets besides horses have even been male xx

Jan
10th October 2009, 12:49 PM
Mares without a second thought! dont get me wrong I love my gelding too (most of the time) :lol:

Puss in boots
12th October 2009, 09:50 PM
I love my mare, had mostly mares over the years and just love them, have had geldings and a stallion too, but always loved mares :D

kaya
20th October 2009, 02:06 AM
I have always had mares, all had their individual problems (PMT I suppose) I had a mare Bobbie and I always said, she had to be a tomboy as u always got her the one way and never put a foot wrong. I don't think I choose the horse the horse chooses me which seems to be mares,my cat and dog are both female, I have 2 daughters and a granddaughter, I bet my goldfish are both female too Lol! My gelding so happens to be out on trial for sale. I do think geldings are more what u see is what u get and mares are like us females tempermental if things arn't going our way Lol x

Bay Chaos
25th October 2009, 11:32 PM
I own both and have to say mares.

Dina and Bridie are both loving, crave attention, hugs etc. will stand quietly with you for hours and are genuinely pleased to see you. I like their sensitivity.

Champ on the other hand is much more his own person, I love him to bits, but just don't have the same bond with him.

gem
26th October 2009, 01:38 AM
I've never wanted a mare. I've ALWAYS wanted a gelding. Every time. Never flippin had one though :rolleyes: The 3 main horses that I've had in my life have all been mares. When I went horsey shopping for my own my one definite was that it had to be a gelding. Look how that one worked out.

I think though, once you've bonded with them, they'll do anything for you. Wouldn't change my girly for the world :)

vels mum
27th October 2009, 03:34 PM
I own both and have to say mares.

Dina and Bridie are both loving, crave attention, hugs etc. will stand quietly with you for hours and are genuinely pleased to see you. I like their sensitivity.

Champ on the other hand is much more his own person, I love him to bits, but just don't have the same bond with him.

I find this totally the other way around with my mare and geldings!

piccolo
27th October 2009, 03:55 PM
I really just could not decide.:p I know so many mares, and geldings. Some stages it would be an easy desision, a gelding. Other times it would be mares.

I think, at this time, it would be mares for me.;)

crimsonlily
30th November 2009, 10:56 AM
i have had both mares and gelding, i prefer gelding, however i think if you find a good mare, then they are very good, you just have to find the right one.

Brithdir Barrd
30th November 2009, 01:31 PM
Geldings all the way :P But people always think Jake is a mare as how he rides and his temperment. But actually next time i think I would have a mare.

Zeitgeist Mom
30th November 2009, 02:10 PM
I've done a complete about turn on this one! My first horse was a mare, and though I loved her to bits, she wasn't affectionate, or playful and I never felt any real relationship with her. After her, I only had geldings for many years, and was utterly convinced that mares were basically charaterless, and geldings were more fun, more affectionate and more reliable. However, since getting Kita I have really changed my opinions. She is probably the most affectionate horse I have ever owned, has loads of character, and lately has even taken to playing footie with me and my dog! She doesn't seem to be moody at all, and I trust her good nature whole heartedly. Although sometimes nervous I know 110% she would never intentionally hurt anyone.

Kita is very different from the geldings I have owned, but in some ways nicer. I would say mares and geldings are definitely different, but I no longer could say which I 'prefer'. If anything, at the moment I might say I prefer mares ....

chescar
30th November 2009, 06:03 PM
Geldings all the way - my sister always had mares. I did not get on with any of them

rockinghorse
10th December 2009, 11:20 PM
I have had four mares and eleven geldings. I currently have a gelding.
I like some mares but only good ones! I dont like kickers, face pullers or tarts !
I am lucky that the mares that I have had were all lovely and not at all mareish!
Them hormones are awful things ! :D

Tio
11th December 2009, 11:55 AM
I don't like mareish mares - especially when they become difficult to handle. My mare doesn't have any of the nasty traits and she's very kind. She's not very affectionate but that's fine by me, I hate it when horses are in your face all the time!

I do think geldings tend to be more genuine than mares, but there are always exceptions. I haven't met many push button, point and go mares.

Susan
11th December 2009, 08:08 PM
I have met some lovely mares and some lovely geldings! And also some moody mares and grumpy geldings! Think it totally depends on the horse, but on balance, if I had to choose I would probably opt for a gelding. But I would never rule out a mare.

gemma1309
12th December 2009, 12:03 PM
Oh interesting post having had both I feel neutral on ths point I think. I have owned my geldign for a lifetime and he is the most rewardign horse I think I will ever own and I dont think any horse will ever come close to him. He loyal barmy but safe. i have owned 3 mares all with quirks but betseyboo got it right when you find a good little mare -keep her thats what I have done with Sasha she is more like a gelding in personality and is very loyal as well (horse I bought to sell 3 years ago and wont part with now) I think the key with geldings is that you can tell a gelding and they will co operate easily i.e justin can be coaxed to your way of thinking easily as long as your gentle with the mares I think you have to ask them if you try tell them what to do they wont go for it. I have to make Sasha think that its her idea all along for her to fall for it lol. I will never have another gelding always said it after Justin there will be no more geldings there only enough love for one in my life x x x (Unless sasha has a foal and its a colt)