PDA

View Full Version : Is it cheaper to hire someone to clip rather than purchase clippers?

Betseyboo
22nd September 2009, 07:44 PM
Well it's getting close to that time.........clipping!! When the cleaners finally get my rugs back to me!! I know longer have clippers available to me as the girl whose I used to use is no longer an aquaitance:cheekywink:
So as I can't afford a decent set of clippers I wondered what it costs to get someone to clip for you and where I'd find someone?!! xxx

jodee
22nd September 2009, 07:46 PM
have a look in your local tack shop. theres normally a few clipping notices in mine. or if your really lazy ring the tack shop and get them to have a look on there board and give you any numbers! not sure how much it costs though.

Betseyboo
22nd September 2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah second option i think...............ring them!! Cheers hun xx

Dottie Lottie
22nd September 2009, 08:03 PM
I use a lady who charges 35 for a full clip, she is lovely and does a grand job. But Im thinking of purchasing my own clippers as Billy needs clipping quite frequently so over a winter it gets costly.

Ive seen some good write ups about Liveryman Harmony clippers, they are 150 and apparently will cope with clipping a hairy coblet like mine, so Im considering getting some as I can spend that much over 1 winter paying someone else to do it.

CityLights
22nd September 2009, 08:05 PM
it possibly is cheaper to get someone to clip but i personally wouldnt as unlesss you are there keeping an eye i would be worried someone would be horrible to my horse or do a really bad job, but depends on how much they charge as well, if its 50 a clip or something then three clips maybe over the winter you could of bought some second hand clippers for that, and clippers, a good set last for ages

im hoping if i need to clip i can borrow works although they are aincet noisy ones,

silverbullet
22nd September 2009, 09:16 PM
Short term its cheaper to pay someone to clip. Long term its cheaper to buy your own clippers.
I bought my clippers 14 years ago - they're Liveryman arena clippers - they were quite pricey at 200 but have saved me a fortune.
They've done 2 clips on 2 horses every year plus loads of hogging and trimming and are still going strong. In contrast i'd have only got 6 clips for that money paying someone else!

CDR
22nd September 2009, 09:36 PM
I'm hoping I can pay someone on the yard to do it but if not I'll ask at the tack shop. I don't dare do it myself this year but might try next year.

loubylou
22nd September 2009, 09:52 PM
Uva's owner does clipping for a really reasonable price, so I wil be paying her to come out and clip for me. She uses about 5 different sets of clippers for different areas of the horse, and does a fantastic job- she clips her horse who she shows at quite a high level so needs to keep him 100% perfect looking, and does a great job! I wouldnt get the job done half as effectively, and for that reason I would rather pay. She really takes her time!!
She is charging 30 for a trace clip, which includes pulling her mane and trimming all over, and a clip part way through the winter to keep her looking good.