PDA

View Full Version : What do you think to this mare?

x x kelly x x
22nd September 2009, 08:10 PM
I think im going to view her on sunday but maybe sooner what do you think of her?

HM932C2G8

Loony
22nd September 2009, 08:15 PM
Do you have any experience in dealing with ex-racers?

I know it says she's quiet to ride and all that bull, but it's from a dealer.. and I would take that with a VERY big pinch of salt! She's likely to be more like a racer than a quiet all-rounder.. especially since she only just got out of it this year!

My Crazy Clan
22nd September 2009, 08:31 PM
Shes is lovely.........but ditto the others.

x x kelly x x
22nd September 2009, 08:42 PM
im looking for a project and think she could be perfect but wont no if she is until i go view her

Loony
22nd September 2009, 08:47 PM
Fair enough. It takes a lot of experience and patience to reschool an ex-racer so I wouldn't be too disappointed if she ends up to be too much of a project for you.

Were you planning on reschooling or just bringing on a green horse?

CityLights
22nd September 2009, 08:51 PM
think she is lovely looks to be going really well to of only just recently really come off the track, someone has done some good work if she has come on that fast

helena
22nd September 2009, 08:58 PM
Overpriced, you can get a reschooled ex-racer matched to your needs from the TRC for 500, and if the horse is unsuitable they will exchange it for another horse.

My best friend has just bought a superbly bred mare off the track for 500, so wouldn't pay anymore than that, and would be wary of getting one from a dealer as it's probably come straight from the sales.

eeek
23rd September 2009, 01:39 AM
Ditto Smile & Wave, I like her.

But echo the others too - ex-racehorses really are a step up from your average youngster. Not only are they often flighty and neurotic, but they have developed habits which for your purposes would be a pest (eg not standing to mount, wanting to dart off whenever you shorten your reins etc). They take a lot of patience, dedication and often nerves of steel, but if you feel you are up for it I think she is just lovely.

Let us know how you get on.

mandy5775
23rd September 2009, 07:18 PM
She looks a sweet wee thing and worth a look. However, she is an ex-racehorse and may require a strong rider. It doesn't sound as though she has done much over the summer, so she may require a little TLC to get her back to fitness. I'd be tempted by her myself, so good luck and I hope she's what you are looking for.