PDA

View Full Version : Please BEWARE when loaning your horse(s) out

Sally
20th May 2010, 11:22 AM
My horse went out on loan back in November 2009 with a contract.

I got my horse back on Sunday (9/5/10) with lameness issues & eye problems.
I am now having to get all this sorted through my own vets.
I was told that the farmer has been spraying pesticides in the fields where the horses were so this inturn could of damaged her eyes !
I was told she was anybodys ride, so it seems that all & sundry have been riding her which was not in the contract.
Her tack came back in an awful state & not in the pristine condition it went out with her.
Some of the items are missing too.

When my horse was returned the loaner never brought her back but a friend did her a favour by doing this, how cowardly.
The supplement i provided which was given to the loaner 1 month ago ExtraFlex HA which is a 6 month course costing me 103 never came back either !

So please please beware when loaning out your horse.

I have got my horse back & i'm hoping she will be the horse i once knew with some tlc & vets treatment.

I am heartbroken as she means the world to me.
I will NEVER loan a horse out again which is a shame considering there are good loaners out there who do care & love the horses they loan as there own.

XxX

BEX101
20th May 2010, 11:32 AM
I hope she recovers. I know a few loans with bad endings.

Zeitgeist Mom
20th May 2010, 12:29 PM
At least you have your horse back and she can get on the road to recovery. Sorry it has all ended up like this. :(

I have said many times on this forum how much I am against loaning. (Although I have loaned myself in the past.) So many times I have seen them end badly, with one or the other party ending up upset / horse messed up / friendships ended etc.

My Crazy Clan
20th May 2010, 12:47 PM
How aeful, hope shes ok x

bimba
20th May 2010, 12:47 PM
What a horrible experience, I can't stand it when people treat a horse badly just because it's not theres. I know she is your main concern but you should be able to get the people who loaned her to pay for the vets fees if they have breached the contract (which they clearly have).

Really hope she makes a good recovery xx

Sasca
20th May 2010, 01:04 PM
ive had to loan my precious boy out…i hope he's ok now!

micki
20th May 2010, 04:35 PM
I hope she makes a full recovery for you.
I would go to the yard that the person had her at and have a word with the person who had her. I would also be demanding back anything that is missing. It's not right that she hasn't looked after her correctly :(.

Horse Mad Mum
24th May 2010, 04:19 PM
thats so awful poor girl am sure she will be fine with some TLC hugs HMM XX

injioho
24th May 2010, 07:29 PM
That's awful! I hope you can make her the horse she was before you loaned her out. I'm sure you can! I've known loans that end like this too but not many.

Sarah - Stop flidding. Merry will be fine :D

sookie2
24th May 2010, 08:01 PM
so sorry to hear that it has ended badly for you. I cannot believe that anyone would treat a horse this way regardless of whether it is theirs or not. I would probably drive the owner completely bonkers by writing lists of dos and dnots and calling if I was unsure. Its a shame really because I think loaning can be really good way to see if horse ownership is what you think it is and if you can hack it !! no pun intended!!

CautionToTheWind
27th May 2010, 07:17 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope she makes a full recovery.

I've been part-loaning horses for around 8 months now, and I'm on my second part-loan horse after my first was sold and without the option of loaning, I don't think I'd be able to continue riding and looking after horses as riding school prices are so expensive these days. So I fully believe in loaning (more specifically part-loaning) as it gives amazing opportunities to people who can't afford horses themselves.

The loans I've had have been ideal for both the loaner and owner, and I guess that's why part-loaning is so much better than full loaning. My first was kept on the horse owners private yard, so she could keep an eye on me whenever she likes. And I now have my current part-loan two days a week on a livery yard, so the rest of the time the owner and her daughter can look after and make sure everything's up to scratch. I guess people who have full loans just basically treat the horse as if it were their own, but without the responsibility if they fudge up. :/
This is really upsetting as there are people, like myself, who genuinely want something to care for and treat well.

My heart goes out to you, let us know how everything goes.
xx

lilholley
27th May 2010, 09:06 PM
I hope you get her back to normal :(

I do feel sad when I see posts like this though, because everyone takes note of the horror stories and not the good stories. I've been on both sides of loaning, and have loaned my horses out very successfully in the past to lovely people who have stayed my friends. The two times I've seen/ experienced a problem were when we were doing the loaning of someone else's horse.

Navygirl
28th May 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope she makes a full recovery.

I've been part-loaning horses for around 8 months now, and I'm on my second part-loan horse after my first was sold and without the option of loaning, I don't think I'd be able to continue riding and looking after horses as riding school prices are so expensive these days. So I fully believe in loaning (more specifically part-loaning) as it gives amazing opportunities to people who can't afford horses themselves.

The loans I've had have been ideal for both the loaner and owner, and I guess that's why part-loaning is so much better than full loaning. My first was kept on the horse owners private yard, so she could keep an eye on me whenever she likes. And I now have my current part-loan two days a week on a livery yard, so the rest of the time the owner and her daughter can look after and make sure everything's up to scratch. I guess people who have full loans just basically treat the horse as if it were their own, but without the responsibility if they fudge up. :/
This is really upsetting as there are people, like myself, who genuinely want something to care for and treat well.

My heart goes out to you, let us know how everything goes.
xx

Oh that poor mare! I do have to agree with Cautiontothewind, before I bought my horse as a pony mad kid I used to part loan and full loan all the time. I used to work all day at a riding school at weekends to get the pocket money to pay for them. I started off part loaning a horse and getting used to all the horse care aspects and eventually progressed onto someone's cob where they had grown up but didn't want to sell him and I had him on full loan and they popped in a couple of times a month to check him. Without loaning I never would have had the experience to take on Baron so I think it is a good thing to loan and more specifically part loan or if it is full at your yard. However saying that with my job and me not being able to check Baron I won't let anyone share / loan him.