PDA

View Full Version : Sharing???

VIC
21st May 2010, 11:03 AM
Hi all,

Ive decided the time has come for me to move on so im currently looking for a new horse!

My current horse Burnie i have had for 7 years and can't bear the thought of seeling him!! Ive considered loaning him out but only by word of mouth to people i know or someone in the local pony club as he would be ideal!! Hes 15.1 piebald lightweight cob so is anyones ride and does everything i just want to move up a gear so to speak!!

My current idea is to find a sharer for him where he is currently stabled they could ride him as much as they like for 30 a week?? id also take them to shows when i was going.......do you think this is reasonable??? or do you think i should loan him out fully????

thanks .......just don't know what to do with him??

Twizzel
21st May 2010, 11:15 AM
If the horse is available every day, 30 could be quite a good deal (providing shoes are included in this price). Depends if you want the sharer to muck out and do stable chores, because if so, you may need to drop the price. Or you could put him on full loan to stay at current yard, then you can still oversee his day to day care and make sure he is ok.

micki
22nd May 2010, 07:27 PM
I think that sounds like a fair price, especially if they get full use of him. The average rate around me is about 25-30 for 3 days a week, but then they don't have to pay anything else, they also have to look after them for their days.

Mungo Madness
22nd May 2010, 08:20 PM
That is a very very reasonable price if it's as many days as they want. The average around here is 10 a day. Although it does depend where in the country you are, around here that would be very very reasonable, and I would expect that to include having to do stable chores.

CautionToTheWind
3rd June 2010, 07:33 PM
I used to full loan a 4 year old Dales pony who stayed on his owners private yard for 30 a week. However I had to share this loan with my friend as, since I'm a 6th form student, I couldn't afford that amount (as well as insurance and shoeing) per week. So it ended up costing me around 20-25 a week (for bedding, feed, insurance etc on top of the loan). This loan included me and my friend doing all the chores, but having access whenever we wanted (although under the watchful eye of the owner :rolleyes: ).

I went to view a gorgeous 15 year old Arab mare for part loan who's owner wanted 30 a week for 2-3 days. But I obviously couldn't afford it, much to my regret as the horse was a superstar!

But now I part loan a 12.2hh mare 2-3 times a week for 15! I have unlimited access 7am-9pm and as she's currently living out for the summer I have no chores atm. I don't have to pay for shoeing, insurance or vet bills, which is an absolute bargain as far as I'm concerned (as my riding lessons used to cost 20!). I have never been happier, but 15 hardly covers anything in today's horse world, so I'm not at all saying 15 a week is more appropriate!

As a student though, my very top-end budget for a part-loan would be 25 a week. However, many of my friends have are prepared to pay up to 35 if the horse is right, but for full-loan.

I guess it all depends on what 30 includes, as round my area, many would be prepared to full loan at 30, but not share and take on all the chores for 30. So consider that :)

Good luck with your search ! :)

Horse Mad Mum
3rd June 2010, 09:28 PM
I think thats about right or a part share esp if you are still paying for shoes but am sure varies around the country ! Good luck HMM X

Zeitgeist Mom
3rd June 2010, 09:36 PM
I think that sounds very fair - maybe even a bit cheap for such a good horse.