PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on ODE please!!

~*Danni*~
25th May 2010, 09:56 PM
Hi Everyone - Thank you for reading my first ever thread on this forum!! :D

I went to my first ever Hunter Trials on Sunday and had a fab time, thanks to my Beautiful Pony, Parents, Sisters and our Fab Friends who spoiled me!! :p I was really,really nervous before but all went well and I was very grateful to have entered only into the minimus pairs as neither my Pony or myself are really fit enough to be doing 'proper' XC, plus I'm terrible @ remembering XC Courses :p

The advice I need is on how you remember XC Courses and Dressage Tests as I've now been roped into doing a 'ODE for the terrified' @ the same location on the 19th June, but I'm afraid I'll get lost in the XC and Dressage - though I'm a little embarassed to admit because my Friend is really looking forward to it and she really needs a confidence boost and a good time @ the moment :) (the same Friends who spoiled me on Sunday :p)
(I should *fingers crossed* be ok to deal with the SJ because my Pony and I used to do a lot - when we were fit like 4 years ago :p lol)

I'd be very grateful for any 'top tips' please, as I'd really prefer not to have a caller for the Dressage as I don't want to slip into the habit of relying on someone to call for me, as I'd probably end up even more rubbish @ remembering :p Plus it doesn't help that I'm -attempting- to cram all the revision for my A2 Level Exams and BHS Stage 2 Horse Knowledge and Care Exam (hopefully sometime in the near future) so I need tips that will use the least brain power possible please, Thank you in advance for any help!! :D

Best Wishes,
~*Danni*~
xxxx

BEX101
25th May 2010, 10:02 PM
Practice! I used to turn the living room into a dressage arena (letters pinned up on the walls) and run the test on foot chanting it out. Yes - i know you'll look like a complete idiot but it does work. I even used to walk the walk bits, trot, canter etc.

lilholley
25th May 2010, 10:10 PM
I just keep going through it over and over in my head - draw it out, say it out loud anything! You find that you will gradually get further and further along the test without getting stuck. I run through mine in the shower and when I'm driving in my head too :)

Anni~Bell
25th May 2010, 10:21 PM
Drawing the dressage test is a great way of learning and using a different colour for different gaits :)
Don't know about the XC because I've only been twice and they where practises. Might be worth PMing Greyeventer or Casper_Cb! Both eventers and should give you some great advice :)

~*Danni*~
26th May 2010, 09:04 AM
Thank you BEX101, lilholley and Anni~Bell :D I will try drawing it, going through it in the shower and doing the Dressage Test around my room :p (I'll ask Greyeventer or Casper_Cb if 'Plan A' doesn't work :p) Thank you!! :D xxxx

cocopops
29th May 2010, 09:21 PM
Im lucky in that i dot have problems remembering tests, but a friend does, so he just rides through it loads at home, starting wih it being called, then just someone helping if he forgets a bit etc, youve got a few weeks so should be plenty of time.
Im lucky i have had the same test at my 3 BE events this year!
XC wise always allow time for 2 coursewalks, they are usually fairly intuitive but sometimes have funny loops through woods etc that you might want to look at a couple of times. if your anticiptig problens see if yo can walk it the night before, and take pics of all the fences so you can look through them, then get someone to scroll through the camera and test you.. look out for landmarks too, like a big oak tree you have to turn at etc..

~*Danni*~
31st May 2010, 07:19 AM
Thank you cocopops - I will try that!! :p xxxx

claire777
6th June 2010, 07:10 PM
I learn and practice my dressage lots by sitting down with a sheet of paper and the markers on and just go through the whole test over and over again by drawing the route with my finger on it and then I also do it on foot lots. My friends think I'm cockoo but it works for me. Dont worry about the XC Geterally the routes are very straight forward and well marked out.

Easier said than done but just relax and try to enjoy the day, I remember my first ODE after a 15 yr break and I was shaking all day but I still had a fab day desipte my nerves. And if nervers are a problem try some Kalms or rescue remidy x

~*Danni*~
14th June 2010, 03:16 PM
Thank You claire777, those are really good ideas!! :D xxxx

Partner
15th June 2010, 05:52 AM
Others have made good suggestions for learning the dressage test. If it is unaffiliated they may let you have a caller but I would check first as under BE rules you can't - you are also not allowed a crop as you are in BD.

For the XC try to walk the course the day before the event and take a little notepad with you to write down the jump order and any 'wiggly' bits. When you walk the course look at your approaches to the fence and walk any related distances. If you need to make a turn to the fence pick a landmark - a tree or something where you need to turn or that you need to focus on to get your correct line. It helps you remember the course and helps you get a good approach/keep straight etc. When you ride the course don't be afraid to trot approaches you are not sure of - at starter level the time should not be too tight and even if it is, it is far better to get 2 or 3 time penalties that 20 for a run out. As you say your horse is not that fit it will also give him a breather out on the course.

~*Danni*~
24th June 2010, 12:33 AM
Thank you Partner, your advice is Fab :D We had an amazing time last Saturday, and although we didn't get placed, we had a fantastic time and learnt a lot, I did have a caller this time as exams meant I didn't have time to learn it, but it was great :P The SJ was good fun :P My Sister helped me with the XC :o She helped me by pointing @ the Jumps on the wiggly area but accidentally got in the way and we had 2 refusals :P lol, but we didn't mind, my Beautiful Girlie was an absolute Angel and I'm soooo proud of Her :D Thanks for all your advice Everyone!! :D xxxx