PDA

View Full Version : Wall Eyes, do they restrict eyesight?

CautionToTheWind
27th May 2010, 07:05 PM
As some of you may know, I have a coloured mare on part-loan and she has two gorgeous wall eyes.

I was just wondering if wall eye's restricted eyesight somewhat? Does the lack of pigment effect the quality of their eyesight? Just my little mare is very spooky, which I'm fine with as she hasn't been hacked out much (and she's pretty small, so everything must seem huge to her! :p ), but my friend mentioned it may be something to do with her two wall eyes restricting her sight, and I wondered if there's any truth in that?

She spooks sometimes if people approach quickly from a direction she's not looking, but I just put that down to her being generally nervous/spooky and she's spooky when hacking both alone and in company and she looks at everything! But again, I've just put this down to lack of experience.

Would love any feedback, as I'm really curious :)
Thanks
xx

BEX101
27th May 2010, 07:17 PM
As above really. Horses can get cateracts/moon blindness which causes the eyes to discolour/go white and maybe people are assuming wall eyed horses have a problem because of the colour similarities?
Personally i'm not keen on them, but it wouldnt put me off a horse if it was right for me in every other way

gallopinggelding
27th May 2010, 08:09 PM
i have known a horse with both eyes wall eyes he was a perfect horse for hacking etc, loved kids etc,, he wasnt mine just a friends ,wall eyes wouldnt make me think any different of a horse or put me off them buying/loaning them neither

My Crazy Clan
27th May 2010, 10:32 PM
Like you say she hasn't bee hacked out much, thats enough to spook any horse.

Pulleil01
4th November 2011, 01:15 PM
As long as her eyes are clear and blue not a film of white then she is fine, some people have bought a horse been told it has a wall eye when it is actually a cateract which is one of many reasons people should always see and vet the horse they buy as some sellers have no morals. Some horses spook others don't but all do at first they just need time and patience to see that its not so frightening.