PDA

View Full Version : Reproofing rugs

Smurf
23rd September 2009, 02:12 PM
Anyone recommend a reproofing product. I have cleaned my turnout rug and need to reproof it. I want to save some money and rather than send it away was gonna do it myself. ;)

Catg
23rd September 2009, 02:31 PM
Nik Wax can be used to reproof rugs. You can get it in most camping/country stores.

Although I must say Hun, the first time I used it all was well but the second time it wasn't water proof! This was only his lightweight turnout and it was torrential rain but still he wasn't bone dry underneath bless him.

Sorry, this has turned into a 'what not to buy' post but I just think if it was that easy to do ourselves no one would bother sending their rugs away.

I sent mine off in the summer, money well spent I think x

chance encounter
23rd September 2009, 02:49 PM
I have had friends that have used Nik Wax too. They put it in a spray bottle, put the rug over the washing line and spray it. They said you have to really spray it onto the joins as that is normally where a rug leaks.

Im too lazy! I just send them away!

Loui
23rd September 2009, 02:49 PM
I used one from Millets but it wasn't nikwax as I didn't rate this proofer before.
One thing I have been told is that you should never wash waterproof rugs with detergents as it can mean that they can never be water proofed properly again.....

ooo just remembered it is fabsil the one that I used and thought was good :D

Poppy and Harmony
23rd September 2009, 02:59 PM
I used NikWax, they do a rug-reproofing one and it's excellent! Totally waterproofed Harmonys rug and costs about 7 for a bottle which does 2 rugs
ETA, it was one wich you put in the washing machine with the rug

vels mum
23rd September 2009, 03:03 PM
I used NikWax, they do a rug-reproofing one and it's excellent! Totally waterproofed Harmonys rug and costs about 7 for a bottle which does 2 rugs
ETA, it was one wich you put in the washing machine with the rug

That sounds nice and easy!!!!

Poppy and Harmony
23rd September 2009, 03:08 PM
Certainly was - I was wary of it not working, but gave it a 'shower' with the hose before it went on Harmony :lol:

Catg
23rd September 2009, 03:14 PM
It was the washing machine one that I used. There's one to actually wash the rugs and then another one you put in on a separate wash to reproof it.

That is a good point Loui has made and possibly why mine didn't work. If you give it a go make sure there is no deterget in your machine, rinse out the dispenser and put it on a full wash before you put your rugs in. x

vels mum
23rd September 2009, 03:18 PM
I didnt realise you werent suppose to wash rugs with detergent, that will be why all my lightweights are only showerproof!!!

My Crazy Clan
23rd September 2009, 08:04 PM
I used the bsst in the shop around 15........but it never worked for me, maybe its just me but my poor boy was soaked during bad weather.

Betseyboo
23rd September 2009, 09:20 PM
Not sure but I've just had the bill for all my rugs (a few million!) cleaning, re-proofing and repairing......................................... .320...........................runs off to hide the bill from Keith!!!!!!!

My Crazy Clan
24th September 2009, 10:45 PM
Bb, jesus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

cocopops
24th September 2009, 11:21 PM
I use the lincoln rug reproofer and paint it on with a brush. keeps mine waterproof.. i sent my hw off to be repaired washed and proofed last year and it leaked on the tail seam, so ill do them all myself now!