View Full Version : Ligament Damage
23rd September 2009, 04:54 PM
My cob has been lame since May, sound in walk but lame in trot, near hind. He has seen the vet 4 times, first off he thought he had a bone spavin so sent him to the clinic for an injection. When we got to the clinic, flexion tests pointed it more towards fetlock area. He had x-rays which showed nothing, nerve blocked which proved it was fetlock area, scanned which again didn't show very much either, slight bit of inflammation. Vet put it down to sprained fetlock. He has rhino skin so scanning him is quite difficult. We went away for a month and kept him very quiet, he didn't improve. We went back, same procedure as above nerve block and xrays, still nothing on xrays so he was given a steriod injection into the fetlock joint and to return in a month. Went back again at start of August and he was still lame in trot, not incredibly lame but noticably enough. So again xrayed which showed nothing. Vet pretty sure that he has either strained or pulled the ligaments which he said could take up to 6 months. He hasn't been boxed rested as he would probably do more damage than good to himself, however he is only turned out with 2 others on restricted grazing and they don't belt about they are quiet. We all agreed not to go down the bute route as that will mask it and i don't want him overdoing it and making it worse. I don't mind if it takes time but just wondered if anyone has ideas, thoughts or has experienced anything similar?
23rd September 2009, 08:59 PM
I'm going through the exact same thing with Tilly at the moment, same timescales and treatments except it's her near front. Nerve blocks, flexion tests, x-rays and Hyonate injections for suspected arthritis. The vets are still none the wiser. I'm waiting for her to have an MRI scan next in the hope that they can get to the bottom of it.
Are your vets able to offer anything like this?
Good luck anyway I hope you get him sorted, I know how upsetting and frustrating it is xx
23rd September 2009, 09:51 PM
My lad damaged a collateral ligament in his fetlock in 2005, he had to be retired at the time because of it but eventually came sound 2 years later. He got traumatic ringbone due to it which unfortunatly caused problems again this year.
He's currently off work, although he is sound now, I haven't decided yet where we go from here. He may well just be a pet from now on. Sorry I can't be of more help.
24th September 2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks for your replies. It would be so much eaiser if there was something to see, no swelling heat etc. He is 12 and its the first time he has been lame (which is surprising as he is the ultimate thug!)
I am calling the vet in a week or so as that will be a 2 month gap, although i know what they will say bring him back in and off we go again. My vet did talk about MRI but then said if it proved to be just ligament damage he would only say to rest him anyway.
Let me know how you get on with Tilly.
Do you both keep yours out or are they on box rest?
24th September 2009, 01:59 PM
My lad finn has had intermittant unsoundness in trot but only when ridden on on the right rein. Like yours there are no signs of Swelling or heat in his hind legs either but this week the vets been out again and after a 3 hour visit with 4 nerve blocks and a couple of Xrays later its looking like he's may have problems with his hind leg ligaments.
Currently Finn's on one months Box rest with a course of Danilon.
There's still no conclusive eveidance that it is his ligaments but its certainly looking towards it.
Is there anyway you can restrict your horses grazing to restrict his movement. As if he has damaged his ligament rest and lack of movement is the best thing for them.
24th September 2009, 08:49 PM
Initially mine was on box rest with controlled walks but he got unmanageable and literally went stir crazy (he would leap around the stable at shadows on the wall). I told the vets that he was too dangerous to handle unless we came to some sort of arrangement where he could have time out. He was always sound in walk, just lame in trot. Vets agreed to allow him 6 months turnout in a small paddock, which we did. Then he came back onto the yard and back into a normal routine with some stable time and normal turnout.
24th September 2009, 09:52 PM
I was advised to just put Till in a small paddock to minimise her galloping about as she goes crazy in her stable. She will box walk, weave and even double barrel the stable walls to get out and just generally get into a state through stress.
I'm dreading them saying she needs box rest :(
Will let you know how we get on, I'm just waiting for confirmation that my insurance company will definitely pay for her MRI as the vets rang and told me it's £1,100 plus VAT just for the scan, with sedation, nerve blocks etc on top :sad-no:
25th September 2009, 09:01 AM
My lads final bill came to just over £4,000 I think, but he ended up having surgery aswell to put a camera in his joint.
25th September 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for everyone's comments, its nice to know you aren't alone.
Good luck for Tilly, let me know how you get on
30th September 2009, 09:35 PM
Hey Linds, have you had any progress with your boy?
Just thought I'd give you an update on Till. She had her MRI yesterday and they've finally got to the bottom of it after about 2 hours of scanning followed by more xrays.
The MRI showed a 'shadow' where she'd previously had an abscess in May and also inflammation of the pedal bone. X-rays confirmed that she has a benign growth called a keratoma, caused by trauma to the hoof wall from the abscess. As it can't grow outwards it is pressing on the pedal bone causing inflammation which is why she's so lame.
Next step is for her to have the entire section cut from her hoof and the keratoma dug out. She'll then need a steel plate across her hoof holding the 2 parts together, approx 6 weeks box rest before they can put in a filler and lots of remedial farriery. So a completely unexpected explanation for everything!
Anyway, sorry to go on. :o I really hope you manage to get to the bottom of his problems, good luck xxx
6th October 2009, 09:45 AM
I'm sorry not read anyone elses post. Basil had something simular, but he'd be sound for 15 minutes then hopping lame in the hind, almost broken leg lame. We went through 11 months of prodding, poking, probing, blocking, x-rays, scans, box rest, field rest, I eventually just gave up and handed him over to Liphook Equine Hospital and asked them to sort it. (was running out of insurance claim money) They did more nerve blocks, Basil's a **** to block, and they narrowed the area down to coronet band and below. They had to do an MRI as scans and x-rays don't work in the hoof.
Turns out Basil's got a medial collateal liglament injury, no idea how he got it, the injuries never been recorded for a horse before, diagnosis now has been made but treatment is guess work and prognosis is unknown. x-rays/ scans would never have showed the injury up, there's no heat and the swelling its self is so tiny I could not see it on the MRI image till the vet pointed it out.
If you're really stuck and you're insured it may be worth asking about an MRI (my insurance covered 1/2 the cost, I had to pay £500), or bone scanning (Nuclear Scintigraphy) which will show up any abnormalities in bone, ligament, muscle etc.
*Fingers crossed* you get to the bottom of his lameness. X
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.