PDA

View Full Version : Would a sharer take me on?

Moa
9th June 2010, 08:41 PM
Hi all horse lovers out there! I recently discovered this forum and am so pleased it exists – yay!

I hope you can give me some sound advice on my query.

Here's the thing: I've recently taken up riding again after a long break. I initially started riding as a 9-10 year old at a riding school in Sweden where I'm from. I took weekly lessons (riding and stable management) and went on riding camps almost every summer for 4-5 years until I had to stop due to financial difficulties. I also road on friends' ponies from time to time and helped out in a local stable. In my early 20s I did some riding when on holiday, but it's only recently that I've become serious again with weekly group and/or private lessons.:D

But... I don't feel that riding once a week is enough. That's why I would really like to be taken on as a sharer. The problem is I've never shared before, which owners might consider a problem. I know how to tack up, groom and muck out, but not for example how to assemble the bridle or put blankets on, so obviously missing some basic skills.

The perfect solution for me would be if the owner was happy to actually spend time with and teach me some of these things (at least to begin with). I would also like to find an owner who is happy to give me some instructions and hack out with me. I simply feel I need to spend time with the horse and the owner before feeling confident enough to do it on my own. So the owner would be someone looking for company, not someone who wants a sharer in order to spend less time in the stable. I would be happy paying up to 120/month for someone willing to teach me and I would also be happy to help out with the yard duties and, of course, just spend time with the horse.

Now, I wonder if I'm being reasonable. Would someone looking to share their horse be willing to commit this much time to the sharer? Am I asking for too much? Another problem is that I work 9-5 so would only be available evenings and weekends, perhaps not ideal to most people.

I could of course just continue with the weekly lessons, but like I said, it's not satisfying my reborn horsey interest :) I just wanna get more involved! What do you guys recommend? :confused:

BEX101
9th June 2010, 08:48 PM
I dont see why not. Its just a case of finding the right person. Try putting an advert up. Some riding schools also loan their horses so you would be in more of a learning enviroment then.

Good luck. X

joolz68
9th June 2010, 10:21 PM
also talk to as many people as you can where you have riding lessons let them know your willing to help out anyway you can with someone they know,news travels fast in the horsey world as ive just found out and theres always somebody who works and dont have enough time to exercise their pony even if its just for a walk out and not riding them :) since february ive gone from loaning a pony to owning 2:lol: just by chatting in my local shop! which i wasnt exspecting so think positive and good luck xx

Pie_x
9th June 2010, 10:40 PM
Least your honest and not over exaggerating your abilities! I think maybe like the others said, post an advert on horsey websites / tack shops etc and mention some bits and pieces what you've mentioned to us or if someone gets in touch, speak to them about it on the phone.

After giving up my old mare, I am now looking at loaning a pony from the local riding stables. :) I still need to know more things too! & there will always be someone on hand to help you. I think that is a good idea if at all possible you could do that? x

CautionToTheWind
10th June 2010, 01:04 AM
I've loaned for almost a year now, and two different horses in that time. Before that I used to help at a riding school which I'd rode at for 12 years, which really taught me all the things that I used on a regular basis, and you've said you've already done this, so maybe going back may help you? (although I doubt it fits in with your job! :rolleyes:) but it could really reteach you some things.

However, I found I learnt a heck of a lot more "on the job", as so many new things crop up that you don't ever really get to try out. Also, there'll always be people on the yard to help you with anything you need, so I wouldn't totally worry about all of that :)

You're willing to pay a very reasonable price for a share, so I think a lot of people will be more than interested! And as for only being able to come down in the evenings, I'm the same as I go to 6th form and it works perfectly well for me and many others. Also you've gotta remember people only want their horse to be cared for properly, so its as much as being the right "kind" of person as having the skills :)

Let us know how it goes! Good luck! :D

Moa
10th June 2010, 10:05 AM
Thank you all so much for your advice. I think it’s a good idea to help out at the riding school, the only thing is I feel a bit awkward as most of the people helping out are kids. But I’ve recently started riding at another place as well where the people are a bit older, so will look into that too.

So the ideal thing would be to spend more time in the stable, helping out, getting back to the swing of things, refresh my memory and learning new things. I will see how it goes and then put an add up. The real problem is time, working 9-5…:miffed:

I was looking into costs and saw that people loaning/sharing their horse 3 times/week charged on average 25-30/week, so I thought that paying up to 120 would be reasonable. Especially as I now pay around 100/month for riding 1-2 times week anyway.

Thanks again, and I’d let you know how I get on. At least now I know it’s not impossible. :rofl:

Navygirl
10th June 2010, 10:35 AM
You would have been ideal to help me and my boy out! I wanted someone to exercise my horse for me while I work abroad as I work 14 weeks abroad and 14 weeks at home so I would have wanted the first few weeks / months you to have been with me so I know you could handle my horse.

In relation to this then yes, especially with the money you are offering I think you'll have people biting your hand off to have you help out. Just keep your eyes and ears open and opportunities pop up all the time.

Good luck!

Moa
10th June 2010, 02:05 PM
Navygirl: Wow, it does sound like we would suit each others' needs. Kent might be a bit far away though, especially as I don't drive. But something like that would be perfect. Have you found someone?

Haha, now I feel I might be offering too much money, but I really think it would be worth it. And owning a horse is so costly so I can imagine most owners would need as much financial contribution as possible. Ah, the irony... The good thing working 9-5 is that I can afford to pay for it, the downside is of course the lack of time...
But with 120/week I would, at least to begin with, expect some kind of "lessons" included as I want to improve my riding techniques and also increase my general knowledge and skills about everything that relates to owning a horse.

Navygirl
10th June 2010, 08:30 PM
No, I decided that I didn't want anyone else to have him as I didn't trust the people that came to try him as they just wanted to gallop / jump / show and that wasn't what I was looking for. He is now at a great yard where he is looked after amazingly and can exercise him if need be.

You said about having lessons... forgive me if I get this wrong but I don't think any owner would pay out for you to have lessons on their horse. I am sure they would be willing to help out and give tips but not get a professional in. But maybe I am wrong there?? Sure other members would be able to shed some light on if they would pay for that or not.

I would advertise if you are an experienced rider and can school help for problem horses / ponies / horses need exercising in exchange for stable knowledge.

One thing maybe you have not thought about- how about the BHS Owners certificate? It is really good and maybe if you had that knowledge then you could easily take something on but at a smaller price.

Usually the less experience you have the more money you will be expected to contribute, just purely because people wanting horses schooled / exercised don't want novices and that is the truth of it!

Moa
10th June 2010, 09:13 PM
Oh no, I don't expect the owner to get a professional in, not at all! I shouldn't have said lessons, more just some general tips and advice. There are certain areas and techniques that I would like to improve in, so if there was the possibility to have lessons with an instructor on the shared horse once in a while, that would be great, but of course something I would pay extra for (i.e. not included in the basic monthly fee) and, if needed, organise on my own.

In the end, what I would offer is a financial contribution and to exercise their horse in exchange for stable knowledge.

I will look further into the BHS Owners Certificate. Some of that was covered during my years of riding as a kid/teen, but it's always a good thing refreshing the memory, and much of it I've never been through, so looks good.:)

Burnie
10th June 2010, 09:51 PM
I think you sound like a you'd make a great sharer. You seem really conscientious, would put the horse first and also you're honest about what you can and can't do which is much better than someone who bull craps and makes out they know everything!

I was the same as you, I'd got to the point where weekly lessons weren't enough but I wasn't confident enough in my own ability to get my own horse. I found a great person who wanted a sharer, part loaned Tilly for almost 3 years and eventually she ended up as my own first horse! :D

Good luck and go for it!

Jessica
10th June 2010, 10:04 PM
I have been looking for a suitable sharer for my horse and I definately would have considered you for him :D I would rather have someone who is willing to learn my (and the horses!!) way of doing things and would be more than happy to help them out with things they dont know, than to have someone who wanted my horse to do things their way.. If that makes sense? IMO the right person who is going to be considerate and responsible is more important than how knowledgable they are with things like putting together bridles, that stuff can be taught so easily, common sense is not so easy to teach!lol

You will make a wonderful sharer im sure :)

Maria1986
11th June 2010, 02:42 AM
Moa - I have what you are looking for - so it is defiantly a possibility,

I have been sharing Beth for about 7 months now. I had only been riding properly for about 6/7 months before sharing her but she is owned by an old instructor of mine who knew I could learn loads on her and that she would look after me. I have her half the week and then another sharer has her the other half. We split the livery bill between the two of us and her owner covers any extra costs, like vets bills. Both the owner and the other sharer have turned into good friends and have taught me massive amounts. My old instructor still comes up from time to time to give me the odd lesson when she has the time and if I am not sure of anything she will pop in and show me or will answer any questions by phone/text. Through the early winter I text her each night to find out what rug to put on Beth. She also taught me what to look at when checking her feet and what signs will show that its time for a trim.

The experience and knowledge they have given me has been invaluable, as I now have been given the chance to ride a second horse regularly that is stabled at my yard and he is teaching me to jump (due to previous injury, Beth no longer is able to do large amounts of jumping).

Its a great arrangement for all of us, and her owner even wrote in to Horse magazine singing our praises along with a photo of me riding Beth that has been printed in this months issue!

CautionToTheWind
11th June 2010, 01:16 PM
I think the verdict is out! You would make a great sharer as you actually care about the horse. There's sharers out there who share for the soul reason that they want to be able to do x and y with the horse but not have the responsibility if this goes wrong, leaving the owner with a totally different horse, you're not at all like that!

As for riding lessons on the shared horse, I'm able to get lessons on my yard as many of the horse owners are ex instructors, and Holly's owner is totally fine with this. I'm looking into it for the summer holidays. Obviously I'd pay for them, but its worth it, especially as I'm in the first few months of my loan and me and Holly haven't really "clicked" yet. I doubt any owner would object as at the end of the day, you're getting told how to ride their horse properly rather than just blasting it through fields constantly (no matter how fun that is!)

Again, good luck! :)

Moa
11th June 2010, 02:34 PM
Wow, thanks for all your comments.

I feel so excited now. So jealous of you who have got it all worked out :frown: but of course very happy for you too.:lol:

Maria 1986: You have exactly what I want! Really the perfect solution.

And as for people looking to share who lie about their abilities and skills... I don't get that. I mean, they'll be "found out" sooner or later, and by lying they risk the health of both the horse and themselves. Plain silly in other words, better to be honest from the start.

Fingers x I find the right horse and owner. You've got me all real inspired now!

So Jessica, did you find a sharer in the end?