PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Bays - Pleasure or Competition?

bicky
11th June 2010, 05:34 PM
Hi folks, I'm having a moment so bare with me! :cheekywink:

When you think of Cleveland Bays, either pure or part bred, do you think competition or pleasure horse? Do people have this breed purely for pleasure or are they machines bred to gallop, jump and hunt?

I have a lovely 3 yr old filly (ask fell lover - I've bored her to death with my dilema!) that is 50% CB, she's tri coloured and approx 15.2hh now. I just can't decide whether to keep her or not. I've made life changing decisions quicker than this one! And I'm not joking!!!

Some of my friends keep saying she's not my type as I have a heavy traditional cob too and she's awesome! I suppose the bottom line is will I be able to do her justice :( as I only want to hack and take part in riding club dressage etc!

Maybe she's destined for more than that and I'm just too old to be galloping round the countryside and I don't bounce anymore when I fall out of the side door! :cheekywink:
What do you all think? :)

BEX101
11th June 2010, 05:48 PM
Do you think she stands in the field and thinks - "one day i want to hunt and jump 4ft courses!"

She wants a home where she's cared for and happy. If that means hacking around the countryside and doing riding club stuff i dont think she will feel like she's missing out.

My Crazy Clan
11th June 2010, 06:11 PM
Don't be silly! You NEED to stop listen to your "friends", shes a lovely mare and will be fine as a hacking horse, you can always put some jumps up in your field if you fancy it! Its what suits you and her not what anyone else thinks.

gem
11th June 2010, 07:43 PM
Horses don't have ambitions! She looks like she'd be a stunning dressage horse. If that's what you want to do with her then she's not going to be thinking 'I have dreams of being at badminton' :lol:

CityLights
11th June 2010, 10:05 PM
Any horse is capeable of doing anything that the owner wants to do weather thats jump round badminton, compete at top level dressage or just hack about

Dennis jumped to grade B and he wasnt in a million years the type of horse you would expcet to do that but he did he loved it and he was fantastic at it, he would of been a type just to hack about but he landed in the kind of home that wanted to do more so he did,

horses dont have ambition its the riders that do, your ambition might simply be just to hack around and she will be happy doing that, if you like her you think she is right and want to keep her then do and stop listening to your friends

dun blonde
11th June 2010, 11:49 PM
They are lovely horses, but i find they often need a clever owner who can get around the lazy/stubborn side they do have.

Totally agree with this,they are to me horses for certain types of people who don't mind the frustration they *can* cause,and have never really thought of them in terms of serious competition TBH,are they very known for that??

I would more have classed them as a hack,hunt and maybe low level competition.Often mens horses I have always thought purely due to their bigger size and weight carrying ability,and possibly their 'male attitude' ie pig headed and daft at times lol:cheekywink:

Don't take this the worng way,but I highly doubt your mare is that talented that it would be a crime for you not to do anything serious with her,and I can assure you she won't mind doing as much or as little as you want to do,enjoy her if that's what you want to do:)

Smurf
12th June 2010, 09:34 AM
My old boss had a C/D x and competed him in dressage, up tp novice and alittle elementary but didn't do very well. I jumped him and he was stunning i thought he at that point was abit of an all rounder and seemed to enjoy everything he did. He later got sold to a good home who did riding club activities. If your not sure, wait and see how he progresses. Dont make any rash decisions yet!

banjo
12th June 2010, 01:49 PM
i am having dilemma about my 2 at the moment. As you know I have Banjo my heavy then Ruby my lightweight. I can't afford to keep the 2 so one must go .............but which one . Do I sell Banjo mr dependable, sensible although a tad boring or do I keep Ruby as a challengne.
A horse will do more or less what you want to do with it. As long as you know its limitations. If you want Luna to be a happy hacker I am sure she will not complain or if you want to do top class dressage then you do it.

gallopinggelding
12th June 2010, 04:50 PM
I know what you mean ,when i got my newly backed three yo.and was quite happy for five months <!> just walking hacks 20- 40 mins by myself .Then i started to think hes wasted with me ,went through a phase of hell do so much with a younger person, etc, and then i snapped out of it and thought yes, but he has a good home with me, quite happy .
And nearly a year later im doing more stuff at new yard, faster work etc, and hes still happy !He can be a happy hack or little competition horse for my kids in future or both .If you love the horse and are happy, dont worry, im not a spring chick neither , i dont want to bounce !
There are a lot of well bred horses just being used as hacks im sure, people just may have the horse but not the time or the money - i certainly would not sell my horse because he would be better off with someone else, unless i had handling issues , behavioural . etc

Noodle lu
23rd June 2010, 01:47 PM
My aunts horse who I used to ride is a CB X ID and if im honest she has knocked my confidence really badly as she was horrid! Most of the time she would be fine to ride and handle, at times but others she was nasty (cornered me up the field and tried double barrelling me) She is very stubborn and I would have a job to get her to do anything, other times she was solid as a rock and really fun to ride.

That is just my experinece of CB X's I think they would make good compertition horses for XC SJ if you could get over the stubborness!

The YO where Polly was kept had a CB X for compertition and described her as a 'brute' and ended up selling her.

That is just my experience of them and I wouldnt touch one with a barge pole!

sazzy925
23rd June 2010, 05:08 PM
She won't give a rat's arse what she does with her life.

It's people that want to compete horses and 'do them justice' - she probably would rather be stood in her field eating.

If you get along with her, and are having fun with her why should you feel the need to get rid of her? When I think of a cleveland bay - I think of like low level competing - just a fun, easy going horse - and if that's what you want to do just have fun then good for you! If you want to do a bit more with her she might fancy it, but if you don't never mind.