PDA

View Full Version : Crummy day - Orphan foal *UPDATE

CityLights
14th June 2010, 09:06 PM
**** baby is doing fabulously well she had a little bit of the shakes yesterday so i gave her some anti biotics on the advice of the vet and then the vet came out later and did an IGG tests for anti bodies, she is fine and healthy, her and her new mum went out yesterday and today in the field and she is doing really well, was a bit confused about walking on the hard ground at first but doing fab now

Crummy day at work today our last mare of the season gave birth unexpetantly during the night so wasnt being watched and the foal died, the mare hadnt even passed any after birth bar about a two inch strip that ended up covering the foals nose so it died :(

it also looked like it was either cremello or palomino and a filly so we are super gutted and its the first one we have lost in five years of breeding, it was horrible we had to skin the foal and then ihad to help burry it, im not squimish at all but it was minging

some good came out of it though we rang the national foaling bank and managed to help someone out whos mare died during labour so we now have a little foster foal, chloe our mare was absolutley fantastic with the little foal, we introduced tham at about 11 and now the foal is suckinlg and dead happy and doesnt need the dead foals skin on or anything

here is a picture of the two of them and foally with the foal coat on

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/IMadeTheWholeWorldShineForYou/DSC00659.jpg

Zeitgeist Mom
14th June 2010, 09:10 PM
Aw bless what a sad and happy story. The foal sounds like it would have been absolutely gorgeous, but the little orphan foal is so sweet too, and they look so happy together. Some things are just meant to work out a certain way.

Anni~Bell
14th June 2010, 09:19 PM
I am so sorry about the foal but so glad that you've managed to find a replacement for mum :)
Orphan foal looks very sweet indeed!

My Crazy Clan
14th June 2010, 09:30 PM
RIP, poor foal :(

I couldn't skin the poor thing, I thought most just rub the sent over the foal and mum and wait and see.

Catg
14th June 2010, 09:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear that it's very sad. Glad the orphaned foal has a new mum in your mare though xxx

CityLights
14th June 2010, 09:52 PM
RIP, poor foal :(

I couldn't skin the poor thing, I thought most just rub the sent over the foal and mum and wait and see.

most people say skin it, i wasnt involved bit much for me the vet did it, we then put that on the orpahn foal and rubber her all over with the mares after birth then slowly took the skin off bit by bit by foling it back so that the orphan foal was more exposed and kept rubbing her with after birth, very grim

Teej
14th June 2010, 09:57 PM
How sad :( I am glad that mum has a new baby and baby has a new mum though. This is the side of nature that I do love..... they just get on and do what comes natural to them. :)

XenaWarriorPrincess
14th June 2010, 10:11 PM
How sad but lovely that you could give another foal a chance.
xx

gem
15th June 2010, 01:52 AM
Oh how awful :( Poor foalie. So glad another foal got a chance though.

daytona
15th June 2010, 07:55 AM
Oh thats really sad news. But glad its got a happy ending new baby looks very sweet.

x x Helen x x
15th June 2010, 10:16 AM
how sad but what a lovely little foal

Loony
15th June 2010, 01:05 PM
Thats so upsetting. RIP

Glad you've managed to help out another foal, I hope it goes well.

amandaxx1
15th June 2010, 01:57 PM
How sad for the 2 that died, but then at least good has come of it in other ways x

piccolo
15th June 2010, 05:18 PM
That brought a tear to my eye.:( Hope both mare and new foal are doing well.