PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use hay bars?

rozbug
24th September 2009, 10:50 PM
Any one use the Hay bars?? Although he never gets locked in his stable he still munched his way through a fair amount of haynets last year so am looking
for an easier way to feed hay, the horse size seems enormous for my 15hh cob, i can't see how his neck is going to stretch down to the bottom, or at least not without rubbing himself raw!
Thanks in advance , all labour saving ideas much appreciated :evilgrin:

chance encounter
24th September 2009, 10:56 PM
I bought a hay bar one of the horse ones and it was too deep for Chance. I got the handy man at the yard to cut some off the bottom and attach it to the wall for me. It is great now, I love mine.

Im looking for one for Darli now as we are changing him over to rubber matting when he comes in for the winter.

CDR
24th September 2009, 11:00 PM
Somebody at my yard has got one but doesn't seem to use it. It does look enormous!! I tried putting hay on the floor for Bailey to eat but he just mixed it up with his filthy bed so I've started using haynets now - I know they're not ideal though.

Bay Chaos
24th September 2009, 11:01 PM
All three of mine have pony sized ones (Biggest is 14.3) They are fab. Have to agree though, that the horse sized ones are absolutly massive!

Frankie
24th September 2009, 11:10 PM
I have them for mine and love them. All mine have horse ones including Gali who is 14.2hh and she manages to get to the bottom fine!

CDR
24th September 2009, 11:22 PM
I have them for mine and love them. All mine have horse ones including Gali who is 14.2hh and she manages to get to the bottom fine!

Is that a horse sized one?

chance encounter
24th September 2009, 11:36 PM
They do look enormous when they aren't fitted but once you've got them on the wall and we put shavings right up to them as it is on Chance's back wall they dont look so big then so she does have a good 8/10" off the floor with her shavings.

I wouldn't do without mine now!

Frankie
25th September 2009, 12:15 AM
Sorry yes, horse sized ones lol.

cocopops
25th September 2009, 12:18 AM
My 14.2 can reach into a horse sized one too, and if they struggle they can get it out the bottom of them too. I think they are great, and will fit them into my own boxes when i get the chance!

CityLights
25th September 2009, 07:46 PM
I HATE them, the stallions at work all have them and with the exception of the really greedy cob they all just put it in their beds and churn it up,

you also with the normal ones cant easily empty the rubbish out of the bottom, we have our own home made ones that slide out and are made of wood, i feed ollie off the floor as he is tidy my other horse gets fed out of a really big rubber tub as she just walks it around otherwise and doesnt seem to drag it out of the bucket

Catg
25th September 2009, 07:55 PM
Great post!

OH's dad is good with wood, does anyone have pictures of the wooden ones please? (not looking at anyone in particular smile and wave :cheekywink:)

vels mum
25th September 2009, 08:11 PM
What is a hay bar, never heard of them!!!

Catg
26th September 2009, 12:00 AM
Vels mum they're basically big buckets that screw to the wall of the stable. You feed the horse hay from them rather than a haynet. They are expensive but easier to use and allows the horse to stand in a more natural position when eating. Because of this they can actually help to improve topline.

Also it's supposed to be better for the horse as they don't have to repeatedly snatch the hay with their heads at an angle which can cause tension and build muscle in the wrong areas.

If you google 'hay bars for horses' the photo's will explain it better than I can!

Puss in boots
26th September 2009, 12:13 AM
No, i currently feed off the floor if and when she is stabled, but i would like a hay bar ideally

rozbug
26th September 2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks everyone, they seem to have positive vibes about them, but the Y>O> has decided to make me one!! Watch this space! Dragons den, patents.................:?evilgrin:

chance encounter
26th September 2009, 10:47 AM
I read on another forum someone's husband had made her one with wooden posts and rubber matting.

lilholley
26th September 2009, 10:51 AM
I like the idea of them, the only question I have though - if you have a greedy pony don't they just gobble it all up quick? I don't really like haynets but they are good for making them slow down! Is there a way of modifying it so its harder for them to get the hay?
x

vels mum
26th September 2009, 10:55 AM
I like the idea of them, the only question I have though - if you have a greedy pony don't they just gobble it all up quick? I don't really like haynets but they are good for making them slow down! Is there a way of modifying it so its harder for them to get the hay?
x

Thats exactly what I was thinking!

Ive seen something on another forum which looked quite good. Like the hay bar it was a container but round and had a lid with lots of holes so the horse had to pull the hay through the hooles making it last a lot longer and reducing chances of colic.

CityLights
26th September 2009, 11:07 AM
x

on one of the horses we sometimes throw a haynet into the hay bar that way he doesnt eat it too quickly, there is probably a way of securing it in the haybar but we dont, he rarely pulls the net out though

chance encounter
26th September 2009, 11:11 AM
I have saw something that sits on top of the hay which is quite heavy and makes the pony work harder for his hay. It drops down every time they eat but that was for field use and I cant remember what it was called or where I saw it.

Chance doesnt eat quick she is very lady like when she comes to eating. She will only eat half her tea when she comes in and then goes to her hay then back to her tea for a little nibble. Whereas Darli is a glutton typical guy wolves down his food. We feed him off the floor though so dont use haynets either but I am looking for a hay bar for him now. I suppose each horse/owner is different but I just love them because they keep the bed nice and neat and tidy and there is no wasteage of hay.

chance encounter
26th September 2009, 11:48 AM
Ive just been searching for a hay bar and noticed another product called a hay hutch! These are far more expensive than the hay bars as the smallest is just short of 100, I think these could easily be made as well.

silly mare
26th September 2009, 11:58 PM
I swear by my homemade version. I spoke to my boss and told him I was planning on buying one, he said he would see what he could come up with. He made mine out of the really thick rubber matting and attached it to the wall with wooden struts. If it's put on the wall correctly the top curves just like a proper haybar. My boss also cut the matting a wee bit shorter so I could get the brush underneath to clean any hay out. The only thing I'll say is that some horses can be quite messy with them but if you don't mind a wee bit of waste then go for it. My horse is actually tidier with a haybar then a haynet. I'll have a look and see if I have a picture of it somewhere. the good thing with homemade is you can make it to the size needed.

Ali