PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about your Friesians

Catg
25th September 2009, 03:23 PM
Well seeing as there are a few FAB pictures posts on your Friesans at the moment I'm interested to know more about the breed.

There's a Friesian cross at our yard, he's a good boy but only a baby so seems a bit of a handful to me! (although anything is a handful compared to Zeb lol)

So tell us what they're like? What are their temperaments like? What are they like to ride? Are they easy to keep? The 2year old at our yard is being broken to drive, he's doing really really well.

Thanks

Cat x

Autumn
25th September 2009, 04:01 PM
Hi Cat,

Charlie is lovely, he loves human company, he's a mummy's boy! He's pretty chilled most of the time, and can be a bit spooky but usually just looks and grows more than anything (although last night he did take off for about 10 strides as something spooked him in the bushes!). I wouldn't say he's hot headed, my husband who isn't horsey loves him and can ride him and also handle him. He's been really easy to back and school on although the canter took some time to perfect, this is fairly typical of the breed because of their upright carriage, it's difficult to get their hocks to engage underneath and being a driving breed their natural pace is trotting. It's not impossible but it just takes time to perfect!

He's very big to ride, he's short backed and very round so very wide! And also very bouncy, it takes some getting used to at first!

Charlie is a very good doer, I can leave him un rugged in winter with just a handful of food (mainly to stop him creating when the others get fed!) and good qualith haylage.
He's also very clean in his stable so only uses one bale of shavings per week plus I have rubber mats which helps! He's also barefoot as he had bad feet when I got him and kept pulling his front shoes off, he's coped really well barefoot so I wouldn't go back to having shoes unless really necessary.

The mane can take some looking after, although I don't brush it unless for shows, but I do try to keep it braided as it gets in my way when riding, I've also found that any rug with a neck rubs his mane including fly rugs so all his rugs are now neck less.

I think i've covered everything, let me know if you'd like to know more!

x

flambards
25th September 2009, 05:16 PM
The first horse I ever trained was a Friesian. He was excellent - quite spooky at silly things, but he had a heart of absolute gold and tried so hard. Not a mean or nasty bone in his body at all, very affectionate. Mixed signals confused and upset him more than most horses I've worked with, but I don't know if that's a Friesian thing or an aspect of his personality. We even jumped up to 3'0" once, much to everyone's (including my own) surprise! He was quite athletic. I would say he's still probably at the top of my list of my favorite horses ever, and I really wish I had him with me now. We just got each other really well - and when I visited him after I'd been gone for close to a year, he "perked up" again almost immediately. As my not-quick-to-compliment instructor noted, "He's so happy! He just looks like, 'My mom's back yay!'" The man who owned him was not very nice to him... :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/gracebh/Egalite/100_3363.jpg

My instructor also owns two Friesians and I ride one of them for her. She's a higher level dressage horse and very very lazy, but a great mover with more than a little talent if you can get her clicking.

vels mum
25th September 2009, 05:28 PM
Charlie is lovely, he loves human company, he's a mummy's boy! He's pretty chilled most of the time, and can be a bit spooky but usually just looks and grows more than anything

This is very much like Vel, Vel would rather stand in the stable with me getting groomed than be out in the field with the other horses. He knows his place in the pecking order (bottom at the moment!) but is very bold not much phases him, he does not spook just shows interest.
He has taken to all new things ive introduced with a very laid back attitude. He can be bolshy to lead at times and has a few manner issues but we are working on those, this is probably down to his ages as well.
Id say they are a very uncomplicated breed, take things as they come and deal with it in a straight forward manner.
I cant give you any info how they feel under saddle but will let you know! lol
All in all I would say they are loyal, trusting and bold, but then every horse is different and I dont like to generalise a breed but many Friesian owners will tell you this of their own Friesians temperamant. This is the reason they were used as war horses.

vels mum
25th September 2009, 06:01 PM
The mane can take some looking after, although I don't brush it unless for shows, but I do try to keep it braided as it gets in my way when riding, I've also found that any rug with a neck rubs his mane including fly rugs so all his rugs are now neck less.

Autumn - Do you not find that standard rugs rub out the mane at the withers? Ive just bought a turnout snuggyhood in the hope that rugs will stop rubbing Vels mane.
I also started doing a running plait in Vels mane but I found it broke the hair quite badly.

My Crazy Clan
25th September 2009, 08:03 PM
Its lovely to ehar about them all!

Twizzel
25th September 2009, 10:27 PM
Ebony (the horse I used to share) is a Friesian x Thoroughbred. She was very sharp and stubborn but talented too. She had the stamina from the tb side of her breeding and was a great little hacker, she could hack for hours. But many activities blew her mind- 1/2 day of hunting took her 2-3 months to recover from as she went loopy, she loved to jump but got stale easily.

Very headstrong, did things to her own agenda, if she didn't want to come in she wouldn't come in, and if her stable buddy went out of the stables she'd rear up and box walk until he came back.

She could be affectionate, but it was a bit hit and miss... some days she'd walk right up to you in the school and follow you around, others in the field she'd run you round in circles not wanting to be caught!

Smurf
26th September 2009, 09:06 AM
Hello! Well i have a Vinnie. He is 2.5 yrs and standing at around 15.2hh (not measered him recently). He is acctually Vels half brother, but they are nothing alike. Vinnie is short backed and compact. He is lovely to work with, he tolerates nearly everything (even 2yr old boys). He doesn't spook, usually looks and does a little jump. But he does have a "mischeivious" side, when he gets a little too playful (when im at the end of the leadrope), and when he has had enough he will let you know (usually rearing and getting stuck ontop of a wooden gate! - was free within seconds). But all that said he listens to me, does what i ask and learns very quickly! I love him to piecec and wouldn't change him for the world! So here are some pics of the mischevious man:
Swaggering along the road!
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/peerielee/011-2.jpg
Standing proud (sorry a bit fuzzy)
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/peerielee/DSC00387.jpg
Chasing his new playmate
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/peerielee/DSC00397.jpg
Exercising poor Hugo again!
http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m412/peerielee/DSC00401.jpg
Not the best photo's he is never very photogenic!
Thanks for looking x

My Crazy Clan
26th September 2009, 01:47 PM
Love vinnies red tint!

xsarahx
26th September 2009, 01:53 PM
oh i absolutley love this breed, prob my favourite i think!!!!

vels mum
27th September 2009, 10:11 AM
I find it hard to fault the breed, however many people do!!!!!!

Autumn
28th September 2009, 10:06 AM
I've not found the standard rugs rub the mane, but the half neck and full necks do.

I keep Charlie's mane in a running plait and have found it ok, but I need to keep it in that as it get's in my way when riding otherwise, I do keep it well conditioned though, cowboy magic detangle is excellent.

x

dadeda
28th September 2009, 10:17 AM
My friend has a Friesian, he's lovely really but I find him quite alarming to ride as he is just so BIG! I am used to riding native ponies so he came as rather a shock to me. But he has a super temperament and the most glorious trot - I just love to watch him float about the field. Mind you, riding that trot is not easy as it's extremely bouncy.