PDA

View Full Version : Western riding

Bek B
11th July 2010, 12:51 PM
I've been watching a few videos of QH ridden Western style. Really fascinating to watch, the horses seems to perform effortlessly to the lightest of aids.

What was really apparent was the 'outline' (there's that word again) that the horses work in. Its very long and low and from a classical point of view on the forehand. I wondered why this should be and I'd love to hear any knowledge/ideas.

When I thought about Western riding in terms of its original application (working ranches, long days in the saddle etc) it does seem to make sense anatomically. The long and low posture means that the nuchal ligament is holding the back up and supporting the rider. This nuchal ligament is intended to passively carry the horses abdominal mass for hours on end during grazing. It seems logical that if you want a horse to work all day long that you should harness this passive system?

Thinking out loud, but would love to hear the thoughts of others.

daytona
12th July 2010, 06:59 PM
Agree, when I was out in Montana the horses really are encouraged to work very long and low this also helps with the type of terrain you have to ride over. Its not just flat out there and the horses can cope better with balance as you havent a rider pulling on reins etc to distract the horse can feel its own way.
You have to ride more with your body and the slightest shift in body weight and the horses react to this which when chasing cattle you need that quick reaction - you dont need the reins these just interfere and when you are roping you have different reins so nothing gets tangled up.
I feel this type of riding is so much better and encourages the rider to actually hold themselves too many people think you can just slouch but you still have to be able to have a sturdy core but you also need to be more relaxed.

Bek B
17th July 2010, 12:00 PM
Wtf i replied to this yesterday?

Argh, has you post gone awol.

Would love to hear your comments BC.

Bek B
17th July 2010, 09:54 PM
Interesting, thanks BC

Beth
14th November 2010, 04:17 PM
Hi i have just come home this week from working 9 months in Montana (America) as a ranch hand on a cattle ranch and its a whole different horse culture :0) Western riding was so comfortable for all day in the saddle I would definatley get one over here but so heavy.

beth

daytona
17th November 2010, 01:54 PM
Hi i have just come home this week from working 9 months in Montana (America) as a ranch hand on a cattle ranch and its a whole different horse culture :0) Western riding was so comfortable for all day in the saddle I would definatley get one over here but so heavy.

beth

Ooo that sounds great Beth.
Where abouts did you work. My friends are in Bridger just south of Billings.
I love Montana def one of my fave places.

Beth
19th November 2010, 01:45 PM
I was on the prairie on the canadian boarder near cut bank. cold with lots of snow blizzards. hard work but glad i experienced it. yes montana can be beautiful :0)