PDA

View Full Version : RIP Perkins

Grey Haven
12th July 2010, 01:49 PM
You read these threads but you never think you'll ever be posting one yourself...

Perkins was PTS very quickly and peacefully at 12.00 today. My friend Rose was with him and tells me that the vet when he came was shocked at how lame he was and told her to tell me it's absolutely the right decision.

I was at my mum's when the text came through to say he had gone and all the tears I had kept at bay this weekend came. I broke down.

However, life goes on and I had to pick up the kids from nursery and I'm home with them now, less than an hour since my boy went. It feels like the rest of the world should be in mourning with me, but I know it doesn't work like that.

I'm not a religious person, but last night I told him to go to sleep and when he woke up he'd be in a cool, green meadow, no electric fencing keeping him in, all of his friends who have left would be there for him. He would get up and have a good shake like he always did, there would be no aching, no itching from his Sweet Itch, his feet wouldn't hurt, his mane and tail would be long and glossy like they used to be. He could run and run with his friends all day. I hope he's there now.

RIP Perkins - it was a priviledge to know you. Thank you for all the pleasure you gave me over the years - I hope I have done the best for you now xxxxx

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t275/Shaz1971_2007/EOS400D071.jpg

eeek
12th July 2010, 01:50 PM
Oh Shaz how sad :(

Perkins was a lovely boy and clearly a great and much loved friend.

RIP xxxxxxxxx

Catg
12th July 2010, 01:59 PM
I have shed a few tears for you today shaz, so very very sorry it was his time to go.

RIP Perkins beautful boy.

Cat xxx

kirsty1
12th July 2010, 02:00 PM
oh shaz i cant even begin to know how you are feeling, but it's very brave decision to make and i'm sure he loves you for being able to make the pain go so he can run free.

That is a lovely photo of him, RIPxxxxxxxxx

Hannibal
12th July 2010, 02:20 PM
RIP Perkins

It's such a big decision, but you made the right choice for the right reasons. He'll always know you love him xxx

BEX101
12th July 2010, 02:23 PM
I'm sure where ever he is he's having a whale of a time.

RIP Perkins X

Susan
12th July 2010, 02:30 PM
Run sound and free, beautiful boy. So sorry Sharon. xxx

Burnie
12th July 2010, 02:30 PM
Oh Shaz, I've got tears in my eyes reading that. You've been so brave. *Hugs* RIP Perkins, run free x

chescar
12th July 2010, 02:31 PM
Oh Shaz - You are so very brave.

Such a beautiful photo of him too.

RIP Perkins x

Emm
12th July 2010, 02:31 PM
Have been thinking of you Shaz xx Sending you lots of love and hugs xx

Sweet dreams Mr P xxxx

Poppy and Harmony
12th July 2010, 02:39 PM
Massive hugs Shaz, you've been so brave putting Perkins first. RIP xxx

vels mum
12th July 2010, 02:43 PM
Im so sorry Shaz, youve done the right thing though and now he is pain free.

Huge hugs xxxxxxxx

beks the artist
12th July 2010, 02:56 PM
Oh Shaz, I've got tears in my eyes reading that. You've been so brave. *Hugs* RIP Perkins, run free x

Exactly what I wanted to say. Tears are stinging my eyes too. Rest In Peace Mr. Perkins xxxxx

annmarie
12th July 2010, 03:06 PM
ohh shaz so sorry i am in tears youre love and devotion takes my breath away such a lovely pic also xxxxxxx

K8E
12th July 2010, 03:21 PM
Im so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you

RIP Perkins xxx

GR & Me
12th July 2010, 03:32 PM
Thoughts are with you - you made a very brave and right decision.

Run free Perkins - enjoy the grassy meadows with your horsey friends.

Hugs xx

Aeia
12th July 2010, 03:44 PM
Sat at work welling up.

RIP Perks xx

amandaxx1
12th July 2010, 04:08 PM
Ive been thinking of you all day, have shed a few tears for you and your boy. He'll be happy now, youve been amazingly brave xxxx

Anni~Bell
12th July 2010, 04:13 PM
Oh hun I'm soooo sorry :( I've got tears in my eyes and you definatly made the right decision! Keep your chin up :)

RIP Perkins

Autumn
12th July 2010, 04:31 PM
What a beautiful photo of him. That brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye sat at my desk in work reading that. I was thinking about you earlier, you've made a very brave and correct decision. RIP Perkins. xx

Grey Haven
12th July 2010, 04:32 PM
Thank you all. I do feel it was the right decision, although of course I'm hurting right now. Will be hard tomorrow morning going up to fed the Echo-Monster and Perks not being there, but each day I'm sure will get easier for me. Of course I'll have the odd wobble, but my boy was in pain so I had no choice.

Betseyboo
12th July 2010, 04:39 PM
Shaz I'm so sorry, huge hugs and squeezes xxxxxxxxxxxxx

gem
12th July 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm so sorry Shaz. I've had a good cry for him and you. Where ever he is I can imagine him lording it up :) RIP lovely lad xxxxxx

injioho
12th July 2010, 05:15 PM
RIP Gorgeous boy :( So sorry Shaz. It was such a shock seeing the title of your post and You'd already warned it was coming! You did the right thing form him, it wouldn't have been fair to let him carry on any longer

Run free Perkins xxxxx

daytona
12th July 2010, 06:44 PM
Oh hun huge ((((((((((hugs))))))))))
Lots of tears in my eyes here but you really did do the right thing and yes I do believe he will be running free of pain in endless green fields.
My heart bleeds for you.
RIP Mr. P xxxxxxxxxx

bimba
12th July 2010, 07:21 PM
Been thinking about you all day, at least you know he's safe now and nothing is ever going to hurt him again. Massive, massive hugs xx

adamntitch
12th July 2010, 07:38 PM
run free perkins xxx

((((hugs)))) for you shaz xxxxx

HavE got a tear in my eye to be honist after reading that and am not usualy an emotional person xxxx

Kelza
12th July 2010, 07:44 PM
RIP Perkins xxxxx

Hugs to you Shaz xxx

Elliebellie
12th July 2010, 09:01 PM
Oh I'm so sorry. By the sounds of it you made the very best decision for him and he will be up there looking down on you with a pain free smile on his face xxx

My Crazy Clan
12th July 2010, 09:09 PM
I am in tears too, I am so so sorry Shaz, (((hugs to you both))) xxxxxxx

Bay Chaos
12th July 2010, 09:20 PM
So sorry RIP Perkins

Big Hugs x

XenaWarriorPrincess
12th July 2010, 10:17 PM
So sorry Shaz but you put Perkins first and have been very brave.

*massive hugs*

xx

Jan
12th July 2010, 11:40 PM
Huge hugs to you, what a brave and selfless thing you have done for your boy, RIP Perkins. xx

fell lover
13th July 2010, 01:20 AM
Am in tears at your words. You have been so strong making this decision.
Huge, huge hugs xxx
RIP bonny lad xxx

Chloe05
13th July 2010, 01:36 AM
im another to say im so sorry for your loss...when reading your post then seeing his picture brought me to tears...its hard to let a love one go but you had the his best interests at heart and im sure he'll always love you for helping ease the pain..

here's a few quotes that i think are quite fitting for this situation hope they help

To place your horse's needs before your own and to let him leave his failing body above your need to keep him with you - that - is the greatest and purest love.

Cynthia Garrett

When we think of those companions who traveled by our side down life's road, let us not say with sadness that they left us behind, but rather say with gentle gratitude that they once were with us.

Author Unknown

"Some horses come into out lives and quickly go, others stay a while make hoofprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same."

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have,
He will come to you when you call-
Come to you over the far, dim pastures of death,
And though you ride other, living horses through life, they shall not shy at him, nor resent his coming.
For he is yours and he belongs there.

People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall,
Who hear no nicker pitched too fine for insensitive ears.
People who never really love a horse.
Smile at them then, for you shall know some thing that is hidden from them,
And which is well worth knowing.

The only place to bury a horse is in the heart of his master

Crossing the Bridge

I stood beside your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying; you found it hard to sleep.

I whinnied to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you. I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was with you at my grave today; you tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you toward the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I put my head against you, nickered and said, "It's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you every day.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled; I think you knew.
In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll gallop across to greet you, and we'll stand there side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there's so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

CautionToTheWind
13th July 2010, 02:01 AM
I too am so sorry Shaz, I too am in tears reading this.

Remember you made the right decision and he couldn't have asked for anyone better to look after him all this time.

Hugs your way xxx

north-mcqueen
13th July 2010, 05:56 AM
I'm so sorry :(
R.I.P Mr Perkins xx

Welly
13th July 2010, 08:47 AM
Tears in my eyes too reading your words and the comments of everyone else.
You did the only fair thing, the right thing by your beautiful boy, as much as it is killing you now, you will be able to look back and smile in time.

RIP gorgeous boy.. I have no doubt he is in that lush green meadow now Shaz, galloping around with my old boy and causing absolute mayhem :) xxx

WeeB
13th July 2010, 09:34 AM
so sorry to hear that shaz.

RIP mr perkins

nic
13th July 2010, 09:42 AM
I really cant say anything other than RIP Mr Perkins xxx:(

lilholley
13th July 2010, 09:56 AM
I'm sat here in tears too. I'm so sad for you.. You made the right decision, but I know that doesn't make it any easier. It will be hard but you will feel better. RIP lovely boy xxx

Cherylac
13th July 2010, 11:05 AM
R.I.P Mr Perkins x

Osci
13th July 2010, 11:34 AM
RIP Mr Perkins

Shaz you have done the greatest thing you can do for a horse, setting them free of pain is something every horse would hope for when the time comes. Be brave xxxxx

CityLights
13th July 2010, 12:39 PM
Been away all weekend and am really sad to hear this but it was the right thing to do for him, well done for being responsible and putting him first

Madbee
13th July 2010, 01:21 PM
Such a brave decision. I hope you can take a little comfort from the fact that it sounds like it was most definitely the right thing to do, and remember him happy and healthy and free. Thinking of you.

Zeitgeist Mom
13th July 2010, 01:36 PM
Oh Shaz!! Although we all knew it was coming, it is still so shocking to read. I am so, so sorry for your sad loss. I know how much you adored him, but you have done the right thing for him. No more pain now. RIP gorgeous boy. xxxxxx

Meeny Miny Mo
13th July 2010, 02:08 PM
oh god im in tears, you made the right decision hun, i know its not an easy ne to make. RIP Perkins, sending you big hugs Shaz xxxxxxx

Ninfapaola
13th July 2010, 03:58 PM
You made the right brave decision - remember the good times - RIP Perkins xx

Ambers Mum
13th July 2010, 04:32 PM
Huge hugs Shaz, I have been so sad for you since I found out xxxx

Christine
13th July 2010, 06:53 PM
Dear Shaz
I said the exact same when my beloved mare was suddenly PTS July last year, i said on FB "i can't believe i'm writing this", it all feels surreal doesn't it. I feel your pain & yes it's the right decision, i wish i'd been able to do the same for my poor gran when she was suffering. Echo will be a huge comfort to you, i did my friends cob for a few days after Zara passed, coz he was the closest link to her, having been her hacking partner & field companion. The tears will flow, remember the good times, RIP x
God Bless x

Bek B
13th July 2010, 07:38 PM
RIP Perks.

Shaz, you've been so strong for him. It's sure to be upsetting but think of all the best times and I hope that you tears of pain turn to tears of happiness when those happy memories warm your heart again.

x

Pie_x
13th July 2010, 11:19 PM
So sorry Shaz, I admire how strong you have been and you did the best you could for Mr P and he will be so much happier for it. It must be so hard i'm really thinking about you now, big hugs xxxxxx

Loony
14th July 2010, 12:32 AM
Oh Shaz I'm in tears :( I am so so sorry but you have done the right thing and he knows that too.

Massive sympathies and thinking of you and your boy Echo too xxxx

VickyF
14th July 2010, 09:13 AM
Big hugsxxx and great sympathy ,my 6yr old shettie has been gone 2weeks now it is very hard.xx

Grey Haven
14th July 2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone.

Started to sort his stuff out this morning (been up very early the last few days) so the Horseworld Charity shop is going to do very well in a week or two!

Going to keep his saddle for a bit, but the rest I can sell on ebay or give away. It all needs a good clean though - naughty lazy mummy!!!

Horse Mad Mum
31st July 2010, 02:39 PM
so sorry Shazto here of your loss , he was a lovely boy, big hugs HMM XX

Stacey-Jade
10th August 2010, 09:00 PM
oh shaz. i'm so sorry. i'm in tears reading that :( RIP gorgeous boy xxx

flipper
25th August 2010, 01:59 PM
I didn't read this at the time and have only just seen your awful news. I cried reading it. So, so sorry. Perkins was a beautiful horse.

Grey Haven
25th August 2010, 02:23 PM
Awww thanks Flipper - it's been just over a month now.....so feeling a bit better. Life goes on. xxxx