PDA

View Full Version : How to become a riding instructor??

Anni~Bell
12th July 2010, 04:47 PM
What is the best way to become a riding instructor?? Like what qualifications will I need etc. I know for me it will be a bit difficult as I'm only 18 and hardly anyone would want to be taught by a 18 year old but its a route I may take if I don't get into uni.

Anni~Bell
12th July 2010, 05:02 PM
Just been on the BHS website and thats a lot of courses :p I think I would become a private instructor rather than go to a school but does that matter?? Of course I want to do as much as possible as I really want to get back into horses and if I don't get into uni I will get myself a horse which should help as I know 2 years out of not having a horse is bad for me especially my riding :p
Would rather go for the BHS because like you said they are the most recognised.

Thanks BC :)

Anni~Bell
12th July 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks a lot Em :)
Going to my research as I really need something set in stone incase I don't go to uni because I don't want to be sitting around doing nothing. Thankfully I do know an instructor who I have had lessons from does BHS training so can avoid going to a school for my Stage One at least :)

blackthunder
14th July 2010, 05:45 PM
You don't have to do the 500 teaching hours anymore. A coaching portfolio has to be completed instead.

CityLights
14th July 2010, 05:46 PM
the PTT is a little trickier now i think you still do a certain number of hours, more if you are working freelance than if you were working in a riding school and also a portofolio, lessn plans shemees of work rider assesments etc

you also need to complete a child protection course and a first aid course before you can be an AI and possibly before you do the PTT

Anni~Bell
14th July 2010, 06:29 PM
You have to do the first aid but not he child protection because all teaching has to be supervised. I think I read that right anyways.
Well I have come up with my 'If I don't go to uni plan now' because unfortunatly I can't afford to do all these until I have a part time job but I think I have that sussed now :)
Thank-you everyone for the advice :)

Zeitgeist Mom
14th July 2010, 06:51 PM
Scuse my ignorance but are you getting paid for the teaching hours you put in after doing your stage 1 & 2 and PTT? If you are, then that sounds like a fine plan, takes the pressure off get your BHSAI because technically you are already doing the job you want.

Anni~Bell
14th July 2010, 07:18 PM
Well if I do get paid then I will think about re-thinking about what I'm going to do. Could mean that I do the rest of my exams at the speed I want. I do want to sort of crash course my Stage 1 & 2, Riding and Road safety and then do my PTT properly.
Does anyone know if you do get paid?

CityLights
14th July 2010, 10:26 PM
most places will pay you but not a huge amount and its more likely you would get trainign towards the stage three of PTT rahter than a decent wage, some jobs though without being a riding school will still train and pay for you BHS exams such as the ILPH will train and pay for you to do the AI, its how one of my friends was able to get hers and she also got a very good wage off them