PDA

View Full Version : Hunting - your experiences

gem
12th July 2010, 05:59 PM
Sooo I've got this weird surge of confidence and I'm thinking I'd really like to take Saffy hunting over the winter. It'll be good for keeping her entertained and breaking up her routine. I've never been and never known anyone who's hunted regularly so I'd love to hear your experiences. I presume you don't have to jump? I'd love to do some logs etc but I'm thinking hedges might be pushing it a bit :lol: Tell me everything!

Anni~Bell
12th July 2010, 06:02 PM
The best thing to do with regards to jumping is get hold of your local hunt, find out when they meet and also ask them if there is a non-jumping route. Very often there are alternative routes round most jumps but some there are no alternative jumps so best thing to do is email or ring them and ask! I've only been hunting once but I was like 6 and there was a huge group of us that were lead and there were some tiny jumps for us to try! The experience is amazing! :D

Poppy and Harmony
12th July 2010, 06:06 PM
I went on a drag hunt on my field shares horse (Think hunting would blow Harmonys mind :lol:) it was SO much fun!
There was no compulsary jumps, only a few logs/ditches to jump over if you wanted to and you could pull out at whatever point you wanted

Susan
12th July 2010, 06:06 PM
I don't do 'real' hunting, far too much of a fluffy bunny for that, but our local drag hunt is really geared up to new comers, they have a woman who wears a bright pink hatband, if you follow her you can go a non jumping route - this is at every meet so no need to wait for a 'no jumping' meet. I have only been to see it on foot though if I ever got the nerve I would love to do it on horseback.

gem
12th July 2010, 06:12 PM
Sorry should've said drag hunting, I couldn't manage chasing some animal through fields to see it slaughtered at the end!!

It all sounds so exciting! I don't know where we'll be living this winter yet but hopefully there'll be access to a hunt. Aww little Saffy hunting :lol:

daytona
12th July 2010, 06:50 PM
Gem I've only been once and took non jumping routes - although Becky did decide to put the odd jump over small ditches in catching me totally unaware but we didnt part company and I had a blast.
Now if a wimp like me can do it :o :lol: you will love every minute of it. :D

chescar
12th July 2010, 06:59 PM
You need to go on a children and beginers meet - they have optional jumps

Twizzel
12th July 2010, 07:07 PM
It's so much fun :D

Whilst most hunts have non jumping options, you need to be prepared to jump if you're faced with something. Our opening meet last season was meant to be an optional jumping day but we were faced with several banks about 3' high and a couple of palisade type jumps, rails in and out of fields about 2'6-2'9 with no way round... leg on and sit tight!! But it is so much fun and such an adrenaline rush, cannot wait to get back out this year. As long as you're confident jumping up to about 2'9 you should be ok, and the adrenaline does kick in and you're jumping things you never thought you'd jump normally!

Make sure you've got good brakes, a comfy saddle, and that your horse stands still. If you put a red or green ribbon in her tail to warn people to stay away from you, make an effort to stay at the back or side of the field, don't ride in the middle of it and potentially put other people at risk.

Eat something before you go leave the house, it can be a long day... I cannot eat at the meet so generally have a piece of toast at 8am before I leave and then hunt all day on that... keep some sugary sweets in your pocket though.

If you find that you love it and want to hunt regularly, invest in a hunt coat, they are expensive but well worth it, we hunted in torrential rain last season and I was bone dry underneath.

For your first hunt, ring the secretary and ask which is the best meet for your first time, and try cubbing as it is generally slower and has more time to stand around and let the horse take in its surroundings and what's going on. Have fun!!! :D

My Crazy Clan
12th July 2010, 09:53 PM
I think its a brilliant idea!

beks the artist
12th July 2010, 09:58 PM
Ohhhh I went hunting through PC years ago when I was 13 I think. Would love to try it with Taran and hopefully going up to Ynys Mon Drah hunt (Anglesey hunt) this winter with a neighbour... eeek!!!

eeek
13th July 2010, 11:43 AM
Hunting is so much fun!

As for jumping - every field has a gate, remember. So you don't HAVE to jump anything but you might end up losing them if you have to make a detour to avoid jumps.

Eat a massive breakfast before you leave, and don't drink too much otherwise you'll want to pee all day.

Ambers Mum
13th July 2010, 08:16 PM
Gem have you thought of going with the North East Cheshire Drag hunt? My sister was one of their host farmers a few years back (they go round Glossop, Rowarth etc near Manchester). I had great fun when I went as a guest with my sister, everyone was so nice and we didn't have to jump anything unless we wanted to. look in H&H for their next meet or I think they still have a website xx

Ambers Mum
13th July 2010, 08:18 PM
just found their website with all their details, just put North East Cheshire Drag Hunt in the search, they don't seem to go round my sisters old place but I have a inclination why.

gem
13th July 2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the info!!

I think by then she'll be jumping a lot more consistantly. We're fine over 3ft in the school but I definitely wouldn't put her to a 3ft high gate at the moment :lol: We'll have done a lot more jumping, workers courses and a bit of xc schooling by then so she should be pretty bold. I do love the idea of jumping 'natural' obstacles like that :)

Mandi the North East Cheshire drag hunt advertises at some of the shows I go to. It's pretty close by so if I'm in an area they cover this winter I'll definitely get in touch with them!

chescar
13th July 2010, 09:14 PM
Its a 50 cap with the NECDH - thats why i only went twice last season

gem
13th July 2010, 10:04 PM
Wow they do charge a lot don't they?? It's only 20 for students at beginners' meets though so not too bad to start with. Just been looking at some of the pics, really excited to try it!!

amandaxx1
14th July 2010, 09:41 AM
You know its something I wish I was brave enough to do..... but Im not.

I think even if I had a proper hunting horse I'd be too scared. Me and Bertie will probably never make it hunting, and the fact that he's scared of quad bikes doesnt help lol

Grey Haven
14th July 2010, 11:13 AM
I took Perks god bless him about a week after I bought him. We did the non-jumping route as I hadn't jumped him before. He as brilliant although in hindsight a rubber snaffle NOT the best bit on what turned out to be a strong cob!!

Anyway, we popped the odd log. He did show me up though - stood at the top of a hill watching the hounds draw supposed to be quiet - he was screaming his head off because he could hear his own echo down the valley. Told him off, so then he decided to go down and roll with me little ******! I thought he'd had a heart attack, he just dropped to the floor!!!!

Good day though. It was fox hunting back then, we didn't catch anything which I was quite pleased about and it was a lot of hanging around, then the odd gallop.

Would definitely take Ec drag-hunting in the future though.

Ambers Mum
14th July 2010, 02:13 PM
Wow they do charge a lot don't they?? It's only 20 for students at beginners' meets though so not too bad to start with. Just been looking at some of the pics, really excited to try it!!

I loved it, we only did it once with my sister as she sold her farm and moved back to the midlands...can you believe I would box Mony and Kosha from Solihull, Birmingham to Glossop most weekends to go riding with my sister and Hannah lol!

Ambers Mum
14th July 2010, 02:31 PM
just pm'd you with something you make be interested in xxx

Loony
14th July 2010, 07:26 PM
Oh gem I REALLY want to come with you but my unfit horse would absolutely collapse afterwards! Hmmpppphhhhh.

Ambers Mum
14th July 2010, 07:46 PM
Oh gem I REALLY want to come with you but my unfit horse would absolutely collapse afterwards! Hmmpppphhhhh.

You will have to both go at some point and take loads of photos!

amandaxx1
15th July 2010, 05:01 PM

Yeah even if I wanted to go, it would probably finish Bertie off lol :lol:

gem
15th July 2010, 05:10 PM
:lol: I suppose that's the good thing about being stabled on the edge of the peak district. Can't go anywhere without encountering a ridiculous hill!! She's pretty fit now but want to take it to the *next level* :lol:

amandaxx1
15th July 2010, 05:20 PM
Bertie's fit for what I need him to do, but not hunting fit. He is fat, however lol