PDA

View Full Version : Our girl a few months on.... update

Kim
29th July 2010, 12:40 AM
Well we have had her around 6 mths now and she is absolutely adorable. My Daughter and I are totally in love with her. She has turned out to be a safe, kind, friendly, mare who really wouldnt harm a fly. The little kids on the yard all adore her and want to groom her, they fuss around her and she loves it.

She is a great tryer and jump very well. My Daughter has learnt so much from her, and has gained an enormous amount of confidence riding her. They have been really good for each other. The problem we have now is my Daughter has sped on in her ability and our girl although will take her over the jumps safely isnt quite as forward going as needed soon. She can dpo the odd show locally but if we want to do some affiliated work i dont think she will cut the mustard. So what a dilemma.......

I dont think when push comes to shove either of us will be able to part with her, so im thinking we will keep her and get another one, and Daughter can ride both and i can back up riding our girl. It just means 2 lots of livery infact 2 of everything !!!! eeeeek ill be working till i drop !! but how on earth do people get rid of that first pony when they are as loving as ours??? dont say be tough cuz it would break my heart to let her go now :(

fell lover
29th July 2010, 01:22 AM
If you can afford another one, why not? To be honest, I think you and your daughter will love riding out together!
Don't feel bad if you do decide to sell her, though I really doubt you will xx

CautionToTheWind
29th July 2010, 01:27 AM
ditto above. If you can afford another one, do it! I wish I could ride out with my mum, but with only one pony its impossible!
I also really doubt you'll sell her, the rewards of keeping her would be too great just remember to shop around for that second horsie :)

gallopinggelding
29th July 2010, 04:30 AM
Well we have had her around 6 mths now and she is absolutely adorable. My Daughter and I are totally in love with her. She has turned out to be a safe, kind, friendly, mare who really wouldnt harm a fly. The little kids on the yard all adore her and want to groom her, they fuss around her and she loves it.

She is a great tryer and jump very well. My Daughter has learnt so much from her, and has gained an enormous amount of confidence riding her. They have been really good for each other. The problem we have now is my Daughter has sped on in her ability and our girl although will take her over the jumps safely isnt quite as forward going as needed soon. She can dpo the odd show locally but if we want to do some affiliated work i dont think she will cut the mustard. So what a dilemma.......

I dont think when push comes to shove either of us will be able to part with her, so im thinking we will keep her and get another one, and Daughter can ride both and i can back up riding our girl. It just means 2 lots of livery infact 2 of everything !!!! eeeeek ill be working till i drop !! but how on earth do people get rid of that first pony when they are as loving as ours??? dont say be tough cuz it would break my heart to let her go now :(
send her to me itll save you two sets of livery:lol:my children will enjoy her
seriously, maybe move to cheaper livery, or part loan ?

My Crazy Clan
29th July 2010, 12:55 PM
I still have my first pony :D

Surly there has to be something to make her more forward going, what sort of work do you do with her? what feed is she on?

daytona
29th July 2010, 02:32 PM
I think if you can afford 2 then start looking for another. If its going to be difficult maybe you could part loan your girl out and stipulate that she stays on your yard and just get sharer to pay for shoes or a bit towards livery?? I'm sure there will be someone willing to do that. x

Ambers Mum
29th July 2010, 10:04 PM
Thats fab news!

I still have my first and second ponies and Hannahs first and second ponies! I am now hoping to buy us a couple of younger horses to take overfrom our oldies who will semi retire with us at home.

Kim
11th August 2010, 04:46 PM
I'm now not sure i can afford to keep two, its the keep, and shoeing , and insurance and vet bills, ot the actual buying. As much as it will break our hearts I think she will have to go :((((

XxFudgexX
11th August 2010, 04:53 PM
I had my first pony 22 yrs could not sell her.

My Crazy Clan
11th August 2010, 05:00 PM
I'm now not sure i can afford to keep two, its the keep, and shoeing , and insurance and vet bills, ot the actual buying. As much as it will break our hearts I think she will have to go :((((

Why not give her longer to get fit etc?

What work have you actually been doing with her since you got her?

Find something shes enjoys that might life her spirits a bit more, horses get bored of the same thing over and over again.

Kim
24th August 2010, 09:42 PM
The problem is we cant keep her in canter. As hard as my Daughter tries she just does about 3 strides and back to trot she goes. I didnt wanna put that on here as i want to sell her, but i want to be honest and to be honest im worried about her. She is overweight but not majorly, and my kid gets really upset that all the other girls in the school canter full circuit and canter in circles, ours just will not do it. I dont get it at all. :(

Welly
24th August 2010, 09:56 PM
Have you had a vet out to thoroughly check her over? Have you had someone else ride her and check it isn't your daughters riding? To be honest, to me, selling a lovely pony after just 6 months because your daughter can't make it do what she wants isn't really fair to the pony. Did she not canter before you bought her home? How big is daughter and how big is pony?

My Crazy Clan
24th August 2010, 10:15 PM
There has got to be a reason for it....
I couldn't get my boy to canter, turned out it was his saddle that was stopping him, poorly fitted! got a new one and he cantered first time, its amazing what a saddle can stop horses from doing, honestly I would try everything before you sell her...

Kim
24th August 2010, 11:05 PM
I had a saddle fitter come to the yard when we first got her, and she fitted her a new saddle, so i dont think its that.

My Daughter used to be a little soft with her because she was a little frightened to turn the whip around and give her a crack, but not any more !! she is pretty tough with her now and gives her a crack, then she will give a buck back in protest!! nothing much though and off she goes into trot and she will happily trot for hours if you let her. But the problem lies in when she tries to get her into canter !! i tell her off because you hear her flap flap flapping down the school, but lately shes been using her whip a bit and her voice and trying that way, but in all honesty she will do about three to four strides and slow down and if Daughter doesnt keep kicking her on she will actually grind to a halt!!!!

The other girls are going around the school for as long as they pull up, but our girl is the total opposite.

A few of the more experienced riders can get her going, but even then she cannot do a circuit. I feel for her, she looks knackered out, and i love her so much i dont wanna see her suffering huffing n puffing :(

My Crazy Clan
25th August 2010, 11:58 AM
But shes lost some weight you say? the saddle might have fitted her back then but it probably doesn't so well now.

Has your daughter cantered her out in the open? many horses get bored of the school but are fine out.

chescar
25th August 2010, 12:26 PM
I had my boy for 2 years then though i had out grown him - not height wise but I wanted to do more than I 'thought' he was capable of.

Bought another horse - nightmare. Ended up selling him after 2 months

Luckily I still had Troy.

I promised myself I would give us 6 months to get the best out of eachother and gusee what....he is a totally different horse now than he was before.

I had given up on his ability way too soon.

6 months is not a long time for your daughter to be getting the best out of your mare.

I would stick with it - have proffessional lessons, get out and do more and give her a chance. It would be awful if you sold her and bought something that was too much for your daughter.

Tell me to shut up if you want - just speaking from experience thats all.

amandaxx1
25th August 2010, 12:44 PM
Glad she’s turned out to be a nice safe little pony.

Does your daughter have lessons on her? If she does, what does the instructor think? Is pony old/ very overweight? xx

Kim
26th August 2010, 10:13 PM
no she isnt old shes 7 but she is overweight but she is excercised 6 days a week and the weight just wont shift.

chescar
30th August 2010, 08:47 PM
no she isnt old shes 7 but she is overweight but she is excercised 6 days a week and the weight just wont shift.

What is she being fed?
What exercise and for how long?
Is she being ridden correctly? It makes a difference to their fittness

coloredred
1st September 2010, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't give up on her, my pony literally couldn't break into canter, not because he wasn't fit enough but because he wasn't balanced enough, chances are she keeps in canter a little longer with more experienced riders because they are more balanced, i know that the more i flap about trying to keep my boy in canter the worse he is because i'm throwing him off balance more. Took a while but eventually i could get him into canter but he couldn't keep it. A year later and he can canter circles and laps of the school, he's still not as balanced as he needs to be to keep it easily but he's getting there. Lots of lunging helps.

Welly
14th September 2010, 09:14 AM
How big is pony? How big is daughter? Has pony done much schooling in her past, ie before you got her, or has all her work been hacking? She could have a bad back if you haven't already had this checked.. Def be worth finding a reputable equine physio and getting them to take a look.. If you can get to the root of the problem you may find a much happier more willing pony.. I hope you can work this out, pony sounds like a sweetheart xx

Kim
15th September 2010, 03:19 PM
Foxy is almost like a different pont. She has this look of happiness about her !!

Her ears are always pricked and her head up looking at all her new surroundings, she loves the new yard. She especially loves her new HUGE field.

The trainer rode her yesterday and it was like watching a different horse. She was looking at everything around the school, responding well to the instructors legs and hands.

The instructor says she is a good pony, but hasnt really been taught much so cannot understand much of what she was asking of her. She is going to be working hard on that for the next month. We (Daughter and I) were so proud of her, and instructor thinks with the right schooling and my Daughters confidence improving she could make a good little show jumping pony.

We are all so happy, although DIY is much harder work, im so glad weve moved over, and so far have not regretted a single thing about moving :)

Louise
15th September 2010, 03:24 PM
Is this a different trainer too??

So glad you moved..you might have thought I was a bitch LOL on the other thread but maybe..just maybe..I might have been right on some things..

Anni~Bell
15th September 2010, 03:25 PM
Kim I am sooooo happy that both you and your daughter are happy! :D

My Crazy Clan
15th September 2010, 06:39 PM
fantastic news! I am very happy for you all. x

chescar
15th September 2010, 06:52 PM
Excellent news! I'm very glad you didn't give up on her

smellycat
15th September 2010, 10:10 PM
so pleased you have moved and your pony is happy! Well done for not giving up on her she really does sound like a good horse

Kim
20th September 2010, 09:08 PM
update 2 weeks on :)

Foxy has settled in really well. Seh has been nosying around at everything going on around her. It's a bustly yard, lots of cars, tractors, lorries and trailers but they are in the car park away from her, she does like to have a look at it all though.

She is working with the trainer 3 days a week now, and she seems to be responding really well. Our trainer says she is a nice safe pony, and that all she lacks is an education !! so she is learning and is listening to her commands well. She even had an outline the other day, and looked like a real show pony !!

We have cut down her food and hayledge intake, she now has two small meals a day and constant hay if shes inside. But i try to get her out in the field every day for about 5 hours. She so loves the field, she bronks and gallops everytime she goes in there.

We are about to change her bed, as shes quite a dirty mare and we are getting through so much straw, so we are going to try this easybed bedding for a while and see how that goes.

Im going to take some pics of her new home and her, will post if i can work out how to do it again.

Kim
24th September 2010, 10:01 AM
Foxy practically drags me down the track to the big field. When i let her through the gate she bronks and gallops right to the top, she loves being outside and having so much space.

She is a happier pony, her ears are always pricked now. She is going through a bit of a bad tempered few days which i thought was her season, im still not sure though. But her trainer rides her 4 times a week and seems to kep her in check for my Daughter. She is a lovely mare though and she does seem much happier, as me and my Daughter are too. :)

Kim
24th September 2010, 08:42 PM
Daughter had her first lesson with Trainer on new yard tonight. It went really well. She has lost some confidence since she fell over with the horse about 6 weeks ago, (her old teachers fault). But this new teacher installed some confidence back in her, and encouraged her very gently to do various tasks.

Our mare has lost a good bit of weight in the last 2 weeks, and it really shows in her physical appearance and her stamina. She is very un educated but is learning day by day now. All in all it was a good lesson, all went well, Foxy listened bless her and Daughter felt safe and happy when they had finished, so all was good, and im very pleased with both of them. :)

fell lover
1st October 2010, 11:16 AM
I love reading good updates like this - well done x

Kim
1st October 2010, 10:04 PM
Today was to be Daughters 2nd lesson with Trainer, but we all decided not to go ahead because we only have an outdoor school , and yes! call us wimps !! it was absolutely pouring down, throwing it down, so we bailed out !! this will be the only downfall to this lovely new yard, is not having an indoor school, that was the only plus at the other yard.

chescar
2nd October 2010, 11:18 AM
fantastic news - I'm glad its all worked out - keep us posted

smellycat
2nd October 2010, 04:05 PM
Great to hear shes coming on well, and dont worry i cancelled my lesson on wednesday cos it was peeing it down! I really need to get used to riding in the rain!

My Crazy Clan
3rd October 2010, 09:13 PM
Get yourself's some waterprrofs! :lol: thats what i did yesterday in the awful weather.

Kim
4th October 2010, 11:11 PM
i DID !!!!

Gor Daughter a luminous yellow jacket she looks like a paramedic!! Foxy even jumped when she came into her stable !! and some waterproof trousers that go over her jods, they are good! but i didnt want my precious four legged beast getting her man n tail soaking wet ahhhhh shes sooooooooo spoilt.

Foxy also has a new waterproof exercise sheet too, well she cant get too wet!!

My Crazy Clan
5th October 2010, 03:18 PM
:lol: awesome.