PDA

View Full Version : Round pen hire?

casper_cb
28th September 2009, 10:55 AM
Hi,
does anyone know if it's possible to hire round grazing pens. John coming back from horsepital today and he's got to have 6 weeks box rest then 6 weeks very limited grazing, as little movement as possible.

Hopefully he can start coming back into work in January.

The only pens I can find are 100 for the day!!!

Anyone know of a pen you can hire?

My Crazy Clan
28th September 2009, 12:23 PM
Its probably cheaper buying it if you have the space too keep it, I know someone on the other site brought it and mad a round pen out of it, works well for what she wants, sorry can't remember the name of the fencing though but can found out for you.

casper_cb
28th September 2009, 02:12 PM
Hi Rhea, if you could find out it would be SUPER. I just don't think electric fence is going to keep a 17.2hh John who'll be rugged up having just come off 6 weeks box rest enclosed!!

XenaWarriorPrincess
28th September 2009, 02:37 PM
Boots (i think that was her username) with madison the fjord, built one out of security fencing...try PMing her on FTHM!

My Crazy Clan
28th September 2009, 09:47 PM
I have sent her a message for you.

cocopops
28th September 2009, 10:17 PM
I really wouldnt reccomend usng the security fencint- the edges can be very sharp and it doesnt take much force to break it, a kick is enough to tear the fencing away from the frame and half the leg with it.
I would contact some of the studs around you, or racing yards as your in that kind of country, up in newmarket there are fields wiht 10-15 of these pens in and they more them about to allow the horses some grass with less chance of escape/injury, some smaller studs also use them for stallion turnout.

Ill keep a look out for any cheap second hand ones for sale too.. they rrp at about 100 per panel.

If you cant find anything we do have one, which were not currently using, whether you would be allowed to borrow it or not i cant say, but were a fair drive away!

Bay Chaos
29th September 2009, 06:14 PM
We have a round pen on our yard. I think it was just over 2 frand , but not quite sure. Certainly wasn't cheap.

It's the heras fencing that you are thinking of. maybe use that with electric inside of it to keep him away from it.

casper_cb
30th September 2009, 09:33 AM
Thank you all. The prices we've seen have just been extortionate 100/day, 6 weeks = 4,200. So it would be "cheaper" to buy, but 2000 is still a lot. Cocopops - the security type fencing worries me a little, but some I've seen does look more suitable (a lot more pricey).

We're going to speak to the vet when he comes to take the stitches out. See how restricted his grazing is meant to be. I'm guessing he needs to be walking about on the leg but ideally not trotting or cantering.

Depending on John's requirments we may send him away to a equine care type home. We know someone who runs one, he'd have the restricted turn out in pens and they could do the walking in the walker. It would probably end up costing the same as buying a pen though!

Rhea- thank you for the PM.