PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my horse?

Navygirl
28th September 2009, 11:01 AM
I have a 16.1hh hanoverian x tb which I have had up for share for the past 6 weeks and have had an awful lot of interest in him. I've had a lot of people come and try him out but none of them have been right. He isn't the easiest of rides as he tries you out and can be cheeky and the "experienced" riders I have had on him could only just walk, trot and canter and weren't my view of experienced.

The reason I put him up for share was I work abroad on a cruise ship and so when I am away I can't excerise him and he does love his work. He's on full livery so all that is taken care of and my Mum rides him when she can but he needs more than that.

I'm now two weeks away from going away and I just don't know what to do with him... I don't want a novice rider on him that would ruin him but if I turn him away he gets so bored.

Any ideas as I am now finding this disheartening.

Thanks, Sarah.

flambards
28th September 2009, 03:24 PM
That's really unfortunate. Do you have any friends who could ride him a few times a week? You could get your mom to lunge him so he still has a job, or get her to work on ground work things to keep him busy and not take as much time up as riding does.

Loony
28th September 2009, 09:50 PM
Have you put an ad on horsemart? Or in your local tack shop? That would generate quite a lot of interest. I hope you can sort something out at short notice!

Mungo Madness
28th September 2009, 10:33 PM
If you were near me I would have been super duper interested!!!! :(

Spread the word around friends? Adverts in horsemart and local tack shop? Move him to a yard near me? :D

CDR
28th September 2009, 10:35 PM
You could get an instructor to come and ride him but that would cost a lot of money I imagine!

What do you do on the cruise ship?

eeek
29th September 2009, 01:26 AM
What a shame, must be a worry.

Rather than advertise for a share, could you offer free riding (only to the right person of course)? You MAY just find somebody who is a good enough rider for him but can't afford to pay you hence would not have seen your ad.

Alternatively, a short-term loan? How long will you be away for? Would you be prepared for him to go to a different yard? You never know, somebody might have a horse on box rest, or be between horses, or something..

If none of those work, don't feel too bad about not working him. It would be a bit of a pity since as you say he loves his work. But I believe most horses are just as happy relaxing in a field as they are being regularly exercised even if they do love their work.

Hope it works out for you.

Navygirl
29th September 2009, 10:30 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys thank you for all your advice!

Mum isn't really into the whole ground work thing, and if she's going to be up the yard she much prefers riding him. Actually using your advice flambards I am teaching my little sister to lunge and do some ground work!!

As for putting him out to a riding school it's not fair on him due to his history, he has been a showjumper at quite a high level until the age of 15 then did a season hunting. I don't want him worked into the ground and I'm not sure if I would ever feel happy while I am at sea knowing that he is in a riding school. That and if I move his yards he'd pine. The yard's grooms all adore him as he is such a gem to handle but has character with it.

As for friends, most of my horsey friends are riding school riders and well, all those that have ever ridden privately owned horses know that they aren't the same as riding school horses.

Mungo madness if you are anywhere near Kent you can have my baby!! Only thing is he has to stay at his present yard as I have never been so happy in a yard, it's got amazing facilities.

Have advertised for free riding and short term share but seem to get a lot of novices so thats not idea.

However guys there is light at the end of the tunnel... thought I had taken all Baron's adverts down but turns out I didn't... had a call from a lady asking lots of questions about him and sounds really good... she's a policewoman and only lives down the road... she is coming to see him saturday so fingers crossed!

Oh and CDR I am a navigation officer by trade on the cruise ships. Fantastic job but I miss my horse like crazy!

Navygirl
29th September 2009, 08:09 PM
In case any of you were wondering the horse we were discussing a few of the photos of him can be seen at:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=78631&id=514586817&l=ebdf7e5bcf

They are pictures right up from when we bought him to a hunter trial two weeks ago.

Houndsfield
30th September 2009, 01:56 PM
How about contacting your local Riding Club - many have websites.... there may be someone who's own horse is off work, or just sold.... needed to fill the gap? Or contact your local P.C. for the same thing? Hope it helps!!!:cheekywink:

My Crazy Clan
1st October 2009, 03:12 PM
What about paying the livery to exercise him.

Jennix
4th October 2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Navygirl, hopefully you have had luck by now with the sharers. I have to say I'm sometimes suprised how hard is it to find a perfect sharer. I don't own a horse, but I understand your point of view, if I would have a horse, I would look for a best possible rider. But for example I go to riding school and ride their horses, but I would love to rather share a horse and actually focus on this one only and at the same time take care of him, but as I haven't been riding more than a year, owners are not interested eventhough my goals are high. Rider could make big improvements while practising more than once a week too. I'm sure private owned are different to ride than rs horses, but if your horse is not extremely difficult, maybe somebody would be eager to learn to ride him and become a better rider that way. You as a owner could tell the sharer what you expect and how you want him to be ridden, this person could maybe take lessons with your horse... Well, just my thoughts, sharing and loaning issues are always complicated, but I wish you and your horse good luck!

Navygirl
5th October 2009, 10:45 AM
Hi Jennix, unfortunately no I don't seem to have had any luck :sad-no: I had a lady come up to ride him on Saturday and seemed really enthusiastic about him which was good. I was happy with her standard of riding and the general horse care so I was really pleased :sleep: however she said she would let me know by the time she goes on holiday (today) what her decision was but I have had no word. I always when someone comes to see my horse make sure that I call them back good or bad!

My horse isn't the easiest of rides so I couldn't really put him out to a begineer as he is spooky and forward going to hack out but if I had a novice / intermediate rider that was confident and assertive with him then I would be more than happy to let them have lessons and progress on him. Where abouts are you? London? I can understand why owners can be picky up there as there is a general shortage of horses and lots of riders. Well if you aren't too far from Kent you can come ride my horse!! My 16 year old novice sister rides him with no problems.

Well I suppose I will keep looking but I go next tuesday so not holding out much hope :(

My Crazy Clan
5th October 2009, 12:15 PM
Hope you find someone soon, hes beautiful by the way!

Jennix
5th October 2009, 12:22 PM
I agree with Rhea, your horse is gorgeous and he is a lucky guy, you really look forthe best for him eventhough it's hard to find a sharer. To be honest, if I could say that yes, I would be confident enough to go hacking with a bit spooky and very forward going horse, I would be there immediately, as you are not that far from me, but I would consider myself as too unexperienced. Sounds like he has lot of potential and would be a great ride. Let's cross the fingers for tomorrow!

Navygirl
6th October 2009, 05:12 PM
Nope :( She decided she was going to stick with the horses she is riding... even though the reason she was looking for another horse was lack of facilities for winter time riding which we have (floodlit sandschool and a indoor school to be built). Asked me to hold him open for Feb which is a definate no and then offered to buy him for an insulting price!!

Well if you wanted to come try him you'd be welcome to however I have taken him off the market. Too many timewasters and joy riders!

Navygirl
6th October 2009, 05:13 PM
And thanks Rhea and Jennix, I think he's lovely too. Although can look like a bit of a donkey in the yard when he falls asleep as you are grooming him!!

Navygirl
9th October 2009, 08:30 PM
Am I being snobby but I have just had a mother call up to ask to view Baron... for her 9 year old daughter?

Is it me but is a 16.1 hanoverian x tb who is an ex showjumper and carried the master of the hunt totally unsuitable for a young child? I have trouble holding him back some days!

Some people do baffle me :evilgrin:

Mungo Madness
9th October 2009, 08:50 PM
that is madness!! 16.1hh is too big for a 9 year old unless shes a giant and very very good! :lol:

Navygirl
14th October 2009, 01:12 AM
Well thought you might like to know the final situation...

We ended up having a flood of people asking about him two days before I left, however decided that I wanted quality time with Baron before I left as I am not going to see him for four months (which now I am sat in my hotel in Miami makes me miss him more than ever! :ashamed:).

I did have a mother and her 13 year old daughter interested who were going to come and see him but I didn't feel comfortable leaving such a small child, no matter how experienced with him as I just wasn't sure if she'd cope with him when he's on one!

So Baron is now being ridden 1-2 times a week by my Mum and lunged by my little sister once a week, and possibly more time permitting. So he's actually on a short of half holiday considering I ride him 6 days a week when I am home! I have even let his mane grow all long and shaggy and am not clipping him despite the funny looks I get at the yard. After all, if a cob can be fluffy and teddy bear like why can't my hanoverian x tb. May start a new trend :evilgrin:

Well we are thinking about putting him up on loan in feb for the summer and possibly even full loan to stay at present yard but we'll see how we muddle along over next few months!

Sorry for long post but thought people might like to know!

Jennix
14th October 2009, 01:58 PM
It's pity that our plan didn't work out :-( But hopefully he will enjoy his little holiday and be ready to compete with you once you are back here again.