PDA

View Full Version : Medicine hat - Troy has one, does yours?

fofo
27th August 2010, 12:46 PM
Shamelessly pinched from elsewhere :cheekywink: When chescar posted the pics of the lovely Troy I was reminded of this because Troy has a medicine hat and he also has a shield which is the markings on his chest. This makes him very special as horses with a shield are protected by spirits so much prized for battle..

A "Medicine Hat" horse is not a horse of a particular breed, but of a particular color. This is an unusual pinto pattern where the base of the horse is white, but the ears and around the entire top of the head is brown, black or roan. The horse looks like he has a tight cap on. Legend has it that Native American tribes, especially Plains tribes, called the spot a "Medicine Hat" or "war bonnet".
The important distinguishing characteristic of a Medicine Hat is the head. The rest of the body can be of any other pattern. But in order to get a white head and colored ears and cap, most Medicine Hats or War Bonnets are mostly white in color with very few other colored patches. They very often have pink muzzles.
What's The Big Deal?

The Medicine Hat marking denoted a horse of superior ability in some way. Some tribes had legends where a rider of a Medicine Hat horse would never be hurt on the back on the horse. Some were said to be able to warn his or her master of danger, or to be able to find game in the most barren of landscapes.

A blue eyed Medicine Hat was especially prized for his or her unusual beauty. The blue eyes of the horse (known often as "sky eyes") made the horse seem otherworldly or ghostly. However, many white faced horses tend to have blue or odd-colored eyes. Because of their mostly white hides, magic or power symbols were often added to him.

Medicine Hats were also considered incredibly lucky. In wearing a magic symbol, the horse personified the magical qualities of a tribe. If your tribe lost its Medicine Hat, misfortune was soon to come, because all of the good magic was gone. Please keep in mind that this is a very simplified explanation for a very complex belief system.

Ambers Mum
27th August 2010, 01:26 PM
I had never heard of that!

My cousin and his wife live in a place called Medicine Hat, in Canada! Now I wonder if that has a similar story!

Catg
27th August 2010, 01:42 PM
Interesting! *runs off to look at Troy boy* xx

Susan
27th August 2010, 02:03 PM
Ah, I had never heard of this until I was on holiday in the States just this month - my friend's horse Skip has one!

Here he is

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs253.snc4/40001_421807585717_504620717_5354164_985878_n.jpg

He is blue eyed too!

My Crazy Clan
27th August 2010, 02:09 PM
Annnnnnnd what am I looking at :lol:

We need a picture of troy!

Susan
27th August 2010, 02:12 PM
Rhea - if you look at Skip, see how the brown colour of his ears extends down almost as if he is wearing a little hat over his white face? Like he's pulled on one of those fly ear things that SJers wear! :P All that top bit is brown, and it is an unbroken line right across his forehead and loops around the side of his ears.

chescar
27th August 2010, 03:22 PM
How very intersting Jane - and doesn't his name just suit him so much too!

Here is a piccie of the lovely hunk and all his warrior markings
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo38/jowprice/DSCN4443.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo38/jowprice/009.jpg

fofo
27th August 2010, 03:22 PM
Mad, I found this on the Dark Side where fluffy bunnies fear to tread :scared:

My Crazy Clan
28th August 2010, 04:26 PM
Rhea - if you look at Skip, see how the brown colour of his ears extends down almost as if he is wearing a little hat over his white face? Like he's pulled on one of those fly ear things that SJers wear! :P All that top bit is brown, and it is an unbroken line right across his forehead and loops around the side of his ears.

ah yes I see!!! thanks for explaining, I would never had got it :lol: