PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle balance

Bek B
30th August 2010, 12:06 AM
I was wondering how you check the balance of any vehicle to be used for driving?

I've seen lots of homemade exercise carts on a certain website but wondered how you check the balance of them to ensure that they are correct and won't be overloading the pony?

Sil
31st August 2010, 05:28 PM
I don't know the correct way to check without it being on a horse, but what I do with the cart on its own, if it hasn't got any adjustment for balance, I'd get a rough idea of where it's gonna sit on the horse, see if the seat and shafts are fairly level and then pull it around at that height for a few strides, you should feel the weight behind but without you holding the weight of it up, it shouldn't feel heavy and yank your hands down, or tip up either. You should really just be able to balance it on your finger, with minimal weight.
Then when it's on the horse, it should be the same, no weight pulling up or down, just kinda balancing, only just resting on the tugs.
Not sure if I described it very well, but that's how I get a rough idea.

BEX101
31st August 2010, 05:33 PM
Sil - would it make much of a difference when theres someone sat in it?

fairyfeet
31st August 2010, 08:07 PM
Yes it can. It depends on where the centre of balance of the person is. If too far forward, makes the cart tip forward and a lot of weight on the horses back.
If too far back, the cart will tip backwards and the shaft rise too hign.
It can be recified by either adjusting the seat if able to, or place a heavy weight front or back of cart to even out the difference.

Bek B
31st August 2010, 10:23 PM
So, if investing in a 2 wheel exercise cart would it be prudent to chose on with an adjustable seat?

rockinghorse
31st August 2010, 10:39 PM
I think its called 'nose weight'.... similar to a trailer on a towbar of a car.
The way I would check it is to set the
cart at the correct height using bales of straw etc and put a scale on the top, this should give you an estimate of the weight being put on the pony.

GK's
22nd October 2011, 04:36 PM
It's difficult to check when you can only see a photo on the likes of fleabay, you can really only rely on the description or ask the seller questions.

The height range, if correct, is your first guide.

Try & choose a cart with a moveable seat, a winding balance &/or shafts that can adjust length wise. One or more of these will help you balance your cart.

Don't forget you can also adjust the height of your tugs if you need to, so long as the shafts are not pointing at the floor or skyward :rolleyes: (like some you see) then you can do this.

When your happy that everything looks OK ask some one to stand at your ponies head, then you & your groom can sit in the cart, ask another person to check how much weight is sitting on the tugs, they should not be heavy, they should be light & easy to lift with one finger.

Of course you may find you both need to lean forward when your going up a hill, but you can only adjust for being on level ground.

Mine is balanced for just ME...yes I know, I'm breaking the rules :ashamed:, I'm lucky though because if someone joins me it still seems to be OK, so that suggests there is room for movement so to speak.

Good luck tracking down a suitable cart.

Hazel, Kaja & Gaius