PDA

View Full Version : Exporting horses from the UK to the US

Twiglets
1st September 2010, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know how I would go about doing this? Is the only option to fly or are there boats too?
Thanks, I have no clue where to start!

Anni~Bell
1st September 2010, 12:56 PM
A boat would take a very very long time so flying would be the most quick and efficent way of getting a horse across.
I don't anything about it but first thing would be to find airlines that would fly your horse for you and get loads of quotes.

Twiglets
1st September 2010, 12:59 PM
Yes I guess that is the next step. Meant to add that horses would be heading ultimately to Florida, though I think I read somewhere that they have to fly into California or NY... will keep looking for info...

Jessica
1st September 2010, 01:09 PM
When i was looking to import from the US the travel and documentation for the horse was all going to be my responsibility. Im currently importing a dog from Michigan and again, thats all up to me to arrange. Assuming its a horse you're selling overseas and not one you are taking with you (ie emigrating) I would tell the new owner that they must sort out shipping/transport and tell you what they require you to do for the horse to enter the US.

Otherwise, speak to DEFRA :D

I had someone email me a while ago expressing an interest in a foal from Una to the stallion she will be visiting next year, they are in Australia!! Have told them that if i do sell (would have to be the right price ;) ) it would be up to them to arrange everything as I have never exported horses, only dogs!

Twiglets
1st September 2010, 01:39 PM
I would be taking horses over not to sell immediately, so the transport etc is all down to me. Talking to DEFRA is a good idea, hadn't thought of that.

Jessica
1st September 2010, 03:04 PM
Ahh, ok, thought you were just selling to someone over there.

Defra are who we spoke to about the dog to find out exactly what we needed to do. Obviously with dogs you have the rabies vaccs to do that you dont with horses so its a bit more complicated and very strict, but you dont want a horse getting stuck at customs so they are the best people to speak to :)

FYI to import a foal from America the shipping and paperwork would have been about 1000 and for a full grown (16.2) horse it would have been about 2500 so its an expensive process!

Superted
1st September 2010, 04:59 PM
Defra is a good place to start alot of horses don't travel well and don't look good at the other end. Be careful who you choose the last horse that I saw come over was had cuts from head to toe and lost all condition

Lobelia Overhill
22nd September 2010, 06:06 PM
Google British Expats (or is it Brit Expats?) either way there's a site with a Wiki that has tons of information, and a message board with loads of posts about transporting horses to the US from the UK...