PDA

View Full Version : Price of hay???

Tiaki
3rd September 2010, 04:44 PM
How much do you pay for hay? I'm talking the small, normal size bales of hay as opposed to the big round ones.

I wasn't in the least happy at my old yard when hay went from 3 per bale to 3.50 per bale, but at the yard I am now (different area to) hay is 5 PER BALE :shocked::shocked::shocked:

xxx

Anni~Bell
3rd September 2010, 04:56 PM
It has got really expensive.
But round here its not the price problem that we are having its actually getting the hay. My auntie is really struggling and she has already had to move her sheep to there winter grazing :(

amandaxx1
3rd September 2010, 05:01 PM
It's 3.50 a bale at my place, made on sight (Yo is a farmer). Really good stuff x

bimba
3rd September 2010, 05:11 PM
I've ordered some which was 3.50 a bale delivered for 20 bales. Once that's gone I'll get some from a local farmer who's 2.50 a bale but isn't as good quality. I'm struggling with where to store it though as with just having the field I haven't got anywhere for it to go other than under a tarpaulin.

chance encounter
3rd September 2010, 05:36 PM
Ive just bought some big ones as I wasnt sure with the access to the new place that I could get them in (very sore shoulder this week from doing it, lol) so I did ask how much small ones were and it is 4.50!

Indi_Jo
3rd September 2010, 06:25 PM
4.00 per bale here now, looking to increase before December too as we dont even have half of the crop we had last year.

BEX101
3rd September 2010, 06:58 PM
Our farmer has had a bumper crop and says he's struggling to find room to put all the hay and straw. No idea what he charges tho as ours is all in.

Tiaki
3rd September 2010, 07:00 PM
Gosh it is expensive this year then!

I'm quite lucky really as during the winter months hay is included in my price (as is bedding) so it's only up until then that we have to buy the normal price per bale

xxx

My Crazy Clan
3rd September 2010, 07:23 PM
They are 5.00 to 8.00 here!!!

Poppy and Harmony
3rd September 2010, 08:41 PM
I've been buying a few bales from my local tackshop (who charge over the odds for it anyway) 6 a bale! :scared: It was 4 from them last year. But Harmny absolutely loves it for some reason!
Hopefully my winter hay supplier won't charge too much more than last year which was 3, he's only just baled his

Kim
3rd September 2010, 09:01 PM
It's 5 here, there seems to be a big shortage this year. I'm guessing thats why so expensive.

How much is straw?

eeek
3rd September 2010, 09:10 PM
3/bale for some nice stuff made by a friend. The hay shortage isn't so bad up here but half of the stuff my friend made went down to the New Forest as they reckon they can get 10/bale there!!!

CDR
3rd September 2010, 10:04 PM
I don't know the price per bale I'm afraid but I know the cost of producing hay has gone right up. I pay 8.50 per week at the moment (Bailey's in at night) but I know the price is going to increase soon.

fairyfeet
3rd September 2010, 10:11 PM
Last year I paid 1,25 off the field, 2 if stored and delivered.
This year its 2 off the field and 3 stored and delived. Fantastic hay though and I can have as much as I like as farmer is a friend.
Here hay is in really short supply as we had no rain at all for over 2 months. Hay is also being stolen here!!!!

chance encounter
3rd September 2010, 10:59 PM
I had heard that Fairyfeet as well that it is being stolen.

Tiaki
3rd September 2010, 11:01 PM
It's not surprising that an increase in prices also leads to an increase in theft :(

Straw has gone up here to - 3.50 per bale, however I have put my lot on Eucalyptus Shavings which are 7 per bale.

xxx

Poppy and Harmony
3rd September 2010, 11:11 PM
We've been warned about hay thefts in our area! It's awful

Indi_Jo
4th September 2010, 12:29 AM
Yup hay is being stolen up here as well!!

Emm
4th September 2010, 08:21 AM
I paid a farmer 2.50 per small bale to cut this year so im really lucky. Didnt get enough for the year due to the poor weather.

Luckily, my uncle has managed to get the rest for me at the same price!

I was paying 2.50 when i first moved to Colby's yard 2 years ago. Last year it went up to 4 and this year its going up to 6!!

bicky
4th September 2010, 09:57 AM
I like to get stocked up before winter, so I've had one delivery from a friend at 2.00 a bale and got another load for 2.75 a bale. Both these prices were delivered. :) I've now got about 115 to get me started for the winter. We'll just have to see how far this goes!

beks the artist
4th September 2010, 10:48 AM
I pay 4 a bale for last years hay inc delivery. There is no hay shortage here, no one has mentioned it at all - infact they have cut the hay fields up to three times this year - perfect weather - lots of rain and sun.

TedMonkey
4th September 2010, 11:01 AM
3.50. Managed to get 50 bales saved for me so I can have them as and when I run out (can only store 20 at time). Luckily that should do me over the winter.

Jan
4th September 2010, 03:06 PM
Im paying 5.00 per bale at the minute, but Im hoping to get some of the second cut hay which they usually charge a little less for.

Kim
4th September 2010, 04:04 PM
I just paid 6 per bale of hay this morning, and 2.50 for straw !! Hay is really expensive here, gonna be an expensive winter im thinking. :(

cuteascanb
4th September 2010, 04:05 PM
I pay 2.50 a bale cant believe the price some of you pay :O

chescar
4th September 2010, 09:04 PM
3.25 form YO - home grown stuff

chance encounter
4th September 2010, 10:02 PM
I pay 4 a bale for last years hay inc delivery. There is no hay shortage here, no one has mentioned it at all - infact they have cut the hay fields up to three times this year - perfect weather - lots of rain and sun.

Gosh thats good, we have only managed one cut this year!

chance encounter
4th September 2010, 10:04 PM
I couldnt buy small bales they go through too much of them. The big bales from my usual supplier of six years is 22.50 but his isnt ready yet and Ive just bought two for 25.00 each.

K8E
5th September 2010, 01:03 PM
I buy hay of my yard owner and it was 3.00 a bale last year but i suspect due to shortage of hay this year it will go up. My mum normally deals in that sort of stuff i just give her the money:lol: