PDA

View Full Version : When horses recognise each other

Catg
21st September 2010, 10:39 PM
A few months ago while riding Zeb I bumped into a lady who used to keep her horse at our yard a couple of years ago. Her boy was in the same field as Zeb, they had been turned out together for 3-4 years. Just as me and the lady recognised each the horses did too and strode confidently towards each with their ears forward, they greeted each other and then just stood together quietly while us girls chatted away. I expected them to remember each other but it was such a warm greeting and they were so comfortable standing together that it stuck in my mind!

It's such a lovely memory I thought I would share it with you.

Your turn!

Cat x

IcarusGirl
21st September 2010, 10:46 PM
Icarus looks out for his friends at shows. My YO has a big grey horse that has come to a few of the same shows as us. They whicker to each other from each others trailers, and now Icarus whickers at every grey horse just incase!

The funny thing is that they dont even live in the same field as each other. They just like each others company!

My Crazy Clan
21st September 2010, 11:28 PM
Mmmm well magic remembered the gelding that got into his field, I think he would have attack him if he was allowed to get near, I thought he felt threated by him.

Catg
21st September 2010, 11:30 PM
That's so sweet IG!

Rhea yeah I remember u posting about it, I don't doubt for a second that he remembered him x

vels mum
21st September 2010, 11:32 PM
I laughed at Jack at the show Chloe had him at, he kept whinnying at a little bay pony and wanted to go near it, he was convinced it was Dollie (little did he know it was actually a gelding! :ashamed: )

Burnie
22nd September 2010, 12:00 AM
When Tilly was allowed out after her op, she had to go in a small not so muddy paddock because of her bionic hoof. The only place we could put her at the old yard was in with a couple of babies.

She was their evil Aunty Tilly, they wanted to play but she ended up terrorising them both and they soon learned to keep out of her way :lol:

Anyway, when I took her to the Agricultural show last month one of the colts was there and she recognised him instantly, was whickering and being kind and trying to drag me to him :miffed: He completely blanked her :lol: Justification for all the times she chased him round the paddock I think :rolleyes:

BEX101
22nd September 2010, 06:55 AM
When we first moved to scotland i had Dancer and her unbroken 4 year old daughter Joy. I fell regnant again and i realized that the odds on me breaking her in the next year were retty slim so i sold Joy. We then moved to another part of scotland and a few months later i was talking to a new livery on the yard who said she liked Dancer and would love to have bred something off her but she'd just bought a mare. Mare turned up and it was Joy! They definitely recognized each other. Problem was - Joy wanted to be with her mum but Dancer had definitely moved on!

TanyanChewy
22nd September 2010, 01:57 PM
My friend Denise used to keep her old Anglo, Hal, with our herd and he was a buddy of Chewy's. He was only with us about a year until she got her own yard and then that was that.

Then about 3 yrs later we were at a local show and she was in the Inhand Arab class and I was running Chewy up during a Working Hunter class and Chewy suddenly spotted Hal and started yelling his head off and started trotting so fast (towards his ring) that I nearly stacked it completely - and by all accounts Hal was being a right weirdo as well trying to pull Denise all over the place. It was funny and I was just SO relieved I didnt actually hit the ground I dont think I could ever have faced the shame of competing there again

LOL

amandaxx1
22nd September 2010, 03:38 PM
Aw bless!!!!

Mines sort of sad in a way...

You might remember me posting a while back about my YO's big shire x being put to sleep after a freak accident in the stable... well she bought him when he was a baby with another gelding and they've been like brothers. The one who was left really pined for the one who was PTS for a while, YO was very worried how he would react.

Anyway, he very quickly realised his pal wasnt coming back and now clings onto Bertie! He follows him round in the field and stands at the gate waiting if I take him out. Bertie doesnt mind, he takes advantage of the situaltion to be honest lol.

YO was out riding a while back on her own and came across a Bertie look like that I often see riding in the woods. Is just the same with markings, hogged, just a few inches taller. YO horse was very interested in said horse, obviously the other woman just rode past and bless him he had a big panic attack trying to follow the Bertie lookalike!!!!

XenaWarriorPrincess
22nd September 2010, 04:07 PM
When I was still at the dealers yard, a coloured mare came in and Xena instantly recognised her!! It was so strange and touching to watch!! She was put in the stable next to her and they whickered to each other and looked lovingly at eachother!! :lol:
We never did find out if they had been together before but from their reactions we were sure they had!!

fairyfeet
22nd September 2010, 05:19 PM
Horses have very long memories, and they can remember stuff from way back that we would have forgotten. That memory also includes horses and people that they have met during their lifetime. When old pals are reunited its always very touching, just like when we meet old friends.

IcarusGirl
23rd September 2010, 03:09 PM
Horses have very long memories, and they can remember stuff from way back that we would have forgotten. That memory also includes horses and people that they have met during their lifetime. When old pals are reunited its always very touching, just like when we meet old friends.

I love those stories about old horses living together after, say, 15 years apart and them just loving being back with their old friends. It's so sweet.

My Crazy Clan
24th September 2010, 03:42 PM
That's so sweet IG!

Rhea yeah I remember u posting about it, I don't doubt for a second that he remembered him x

Strange though, I mean hes not like that with any other horses that go past the field, hes looks etc but never acts frustrated/aggressive etc.

Catg
24th September 2010, 03:59 PM
Strange though, I mean hes not like that with any other horses that go the field.

In that case he definitely recognises him! x