PDA

View Full Version : Horse language

ness
1st October 2009, 08:23 PM
Bambi was funny when I turned her out in the field today. She walked up to another bigger mare and seemed to say hello. Then she gave a big squeal and turned around so her quarters were squarely facing the other horse. So what was all that about? She didn't kick, but seemed to say 'hey, i will kick , if you come near me and that's what I think of you!' I find horsey interractions fascinating!:lol:

Teej
2nd October 2009, 02:02 AM
I find their interactions fascinating too. They often touch noses and all is quiet for a few seconds but you just know that one of them will squeal and the ears go back and/ or bums swing around.

Chip is quite bad tempered with Baby in the yard area but their fields are separated by two strands of electric fencing and if he's been out of the field without her, when he goes back in to the field, he runs over to her whinneying like he has really missed her!! They are funny creatures :)

ness
2nd October 2009, 09:36 AM
Yea, horse language is very interesting. I think some expert should do a tv programme about it!

Catg
2nd October 2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah like the Dog Whisperer! If there was something like that on every week for horses I'd be hooked!

Roan Mare
2nd October 2009, 11:13 AM
Yes Doris did something similar when I turned her out yesterday.

She touched noses with one of her friends and the squeeled and flattened her ears right back.

The really strange thing is 5 mins later her and the pony concerned were grooming each other :p

My Crazy Clan
2nd October 2009, 01:15 PM
Just trying to be boss.

Mobell
2nd October 2009, 01:46 PM
I have a book by Desmond Morris on horse communication and behaviour. Spot my apaloosa tries to groom my head.

ness
2nd October 2009, 02:29 PM
I have a book by Desmond Morris on horse communication and behaviour. Spot my apaloosa tries to groom my head.

I might ask for that for Xmas!;)
bless him, grooming your head!
I love it when Kissie gives me a hug!:D

Loony
2nd October 2009, 06:02 PM
They are funny creatures!! I love turning out the riding school horses at the end of the lesson, most of the time they all get in there and put their heads down eating and thats it! But sometimes it's great to watch them, especially when there's a new horse in with them!

Poppy and Harmony
2nd October 2009, 07:16 PM
I too find their interactions facinating!

I find Harmony particularly funny because she's a mardy-bum to 99% of the horses she meets yet they ALL love her to absolute bits, she's kicked/bitten on particular pony before and yet he still goes up for kisses :lol:

cackleberry
3rd October 2009, 07:29 PM
I love watching them interact.

Lady was always a moody mare, but the boys liked her! She would walk in front of them swishing her tail, but then squeal and bite if they get too close! Tart!

I guess really, i do know that the horse behind is the one in charge. they like to push the other horses about, rather than 'follow the leader'.

Puss in boots
12th October 2009, 09:55 PM
I love to watch them interact, I used to sit for endless hours out with our old herd as a child/teen, i loved sitting out there, our stallion always stood on guard, like in the wild, even stood guard over me when i sat down and joined them, just lovely :D