PDA

View Full Version : Mischevious mare

Kim
12th October 2010, 10:32 PM
Our Foxy was naughty tonight !!

Me and Daughter went to field to catch her, like every day, sometimes twice a day. She is usually as good as gold to catch, we sometimes leave her headcollar on sometimes we dont, we can walk straight up to her and put it on and off we go, perfect. Until today !!

Daughter walked up to her, Foxy saw her coming picked her head up to say hi and have her head collar on, then she turned tail and shot off !! i laughed Daughter didnt !

This went on for about three times, she was so naughty. In the end Daughter lost patience and walked away, so i tried, i walked up to her talking to her all the time, and lo and beyhold she picked her head up and let me put head collar on and off we went, daughter was spitting feathers i was laughing so much.

On a serious note are there any tips for catching a newly naughty pony? pony nuts, carrot? i really dont want her to think if i am caught i get a treat though. She has never done that before today. Thanks
:lol:

Tiaki
12th October 2010, 10:36 PM
She is obviously feeling well :lol:

My lot get like that sometimes. I always give them a little treat when I catch them, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's the ONLY time I give treats and they only get the one and none of mine nip/search for more treats. I use the small herbal treats which are only a couple of quid a bag :)

xxx

Hannibal
12th October 2010, 10:50 PM
apparently my horse is hell to catch. His old owners said they couldnt catch him for 4 months so they never turned him out! Yet he comes over to me. I use a carrot or something, I tend to think he needs some insentive to come in or he just wont. especially if they're coming in to be worked, the field is far more attractive! If you start with the treat plan and if it works start to catch her without it and play it by ear to whether you need it or not. I doubt that she'd get nippy or anything from a catching treat!

annmarie
13th October 2010, 08:18 AM
our mares changed fields yesterday sooo daughter went to get betsy who normally comes to call but noooooo so we left her a n hr whilst we did the jobs abd went back shouted her and hey presto in she came

Barry G
13th October 2010, 08:55 AM
Kim
Well there is the great divide. Some folks are very wary about giving a horse treats exept for when the horse is perceived to have performed a task well. In other words the treat is a reward for good or responsive behaviour.

Then there is the other side - folks like me - who like to have their horses addicted to something - in my case biscuit pellets. So I get a nuzzle or two when she is asking for a biscuit without having done someting - and I regard that as communication and not rudeness.

But my Girl always allows me to catch her, put her bridle on, box her and lift her feet.

And if I don't happen to have a biscuit in my pocket, then she doesn't get one.

There again being a man, I don't only have a glass of beer because I am thirsty - sometimes I have a glass purely because I fancy one.

As far as treats are concerned you have to choose which team to join. But a horse which won't be caught will soon become a source of frustration.

Kim
13th October 2010, 06:57 PM
Today i walked towards her trying to be all nonchalant! she was watching me as she was munching on the grass, (she's so cheeky) as i got about 10feet from her she upped her head and started to take off, so i stopped and waited, she carried on eating so i showed her a carrot i had put into my pocket, and she look very interested, and let me walk right up to her and put her head collar on....naughty girl.

My Crazy Clan
14th October 2010, 03:36 PM
She just wanted to play!

Don't use food, hopefully it was a one off but if she does it again, make sure your daughter doesn't give up otherwise she will learn she can get away with it.

Welly
14th October 2010, 08:31 PM
If your daughter gives up and walks away, hey presto, pony has won and behaviour will most likely continue as she'll realise that it works! There's only a couple of ponies at the yard who I can't catch, embarrassingly one of which is an 11.2 little squirt of a welsh pony!! He can be such a monkey! But go out there for him with a carrot or treat and he will give in after about 10 minutes rather than 2 hours, he doesn't nip or expect anything, but he knows if he is good and comes straight in then as soon as his headcollar is on he gets a treat put on the floor and he likes that - I don't do treats by hand! xx

fairyfeet
14th October 2010, 09:36 PM
I'd much rather reward good behaviour ie being caught, than chase a horse for a couple of hours!
I've always been able to catch mine and most others too, by first rewarding with a treat, then catching and rewarding by not asking them to work but letting them go.
I've let mine out for 10 mins on good grazing after being shut up all night, farrier arrived early and one call and both canter up and are caught easily even putting noses into headcollars.
Treats are fine in moderation in my book, but know loads that refuse to give them, and they tend to be the ones that have trouble catching etc.

Tiaki
14th October 2010, 09:42 PM
What is wrong with treat/food reward?? I see no problems with it at all. Why not reward the horse for doing as asked, in moderation of course. The ONLY time my guys get a treat is when caught, and it is literally just the one, end of.

I always think back to a lady whose horse I was working with for loading. She said he would load perfectly everytime so long as she had a bucket of feed as a reward but her horse must learn to do it without food and just do it because he has been told to do it! Rubbish, if the horse is happy and calm to walk in with a bucket of grub as a reward upon entering the trailer, then carry on. Why the hell change it - if it aint broke and all. Some people eh

xxx

Kim
14th October 2010, 10:27 PM
Tonight i went again as usual to get Foxy, sh ewas right up the top of the field, the furthest away out of about 4 mares, happily munching away on grass. What always makes me laugh is that when i get into her eyeshot she's munch munching and i can see her not looking at the grass but at me, i always giggle.

I forgot to take a treat and i was no way walking miles back to the yard to get one, so i fumbled in my pocket...nothing, then i saw a lovely big freash mushroom so i ppicked it for my dinner!! ( it was a mushroom and not a toadstool!) It was really white and big so when i got close i waved it at her, she upped her head really quickly and almost turned her head to the side inquistevely (sp) then she thought about running but her nosyness got the better of her and i was able to catch her easily, she had a sniff of the mushroom and off we went, was quite funny.

I decided i would carry a treat, but not show her it unless i have real trouble getting her. Like a last resort thing. She is a nipper if i give her treats from my pocket.