View Full Version : Questions to ask about a loan/share horse?
15th November 2010, 11:41 PM
Just wondering what questions you should ask when enquiring about a horse that is advertised for loan/share?
16th November 2010, 05:33 PM
- What has he done in the past?
- Any health issues you should be aware of?
- Does he hack out? Alone/in company?
- What type of tack does he use? Would you have access to it?
- If full loaning: does the horse stay at his current property, or would you be allowed to move him?
- If he must stay on site: what type of facilities and hacking would you have access to?
- Would there be restrictions on the activities he can do?
- What fees would you be responsible for covering?
- Would the owner cover insurance?
- What happens if a large vet bill comes up? (Related to fees you'd cover)
- Does he wear shoes?
- Would you be allowed to compete if you wanted?
16th November 2010, 07:33 PM
same things you usually would and then what costs you are expected to pya the length of the loan where you are allowed to keep the horse, what you are allowed to do with the horse, who will pay what bills
17th November 2010, 06:05 PM
Its exciting when you're looking for loans!
If its just over the phone I wouldn't try to overload with questions and just ask for an over view of the horse:
- What is their age, breeding, height?
- Are they a novice ride?
- Do they have any issues whilst ridden? (bucking, disliking jumping, generally green etc)
- Do they have to stay at the same yard?
- Reason for being for loan
- How much money would be required on a per week basis?
*and would you need to pay half shoes or half feed etc
- Any particular days they'd want you to be there?
- And would you be able to compete (if you're aiming for something to compete)
Then when you're going to see them ask more questions. I'm going to try not to repeat the above, sorry if I do... but this was my check-list:
- Have they had any health issues (laminitis, colic, lameness etc)
* If so do they take medicine/require special tack and who is responsible for paying for or supplying such things.
- What tack are they ridden in?
- How are they around other horses?
- How are they to travel?
- How are they to hack alone/in company?
- Are they shod?
* If so how often and would you be responsible for organising and paying for it.
- Do they enjoy jumping/dressage/gymkhanas?
- Would you be able to get a signed loan agreement? (usually able to distinguish the real loaners from the dodgy ones)
Goood luck! :D xx
17th November 2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks very much guys! I rang up but someone has already taken him on (the ad was old enough). Handy list to hold onto though :)
18th November 2010, 12:53 AM
Sorry to hear that, Good luck with your search :) xx
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.