PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a turnout rug compared to a stable rug

Catg
3rd October 2009, 11:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting Zeb a new heavy weight turnout this winter. His current one was a complete mistake as it has a built in hood which rubs at his mane and it is also too big. He's had it for two winters and even though there's not actually anything wrong with it I can't bare to use it again. Also one of the other girls has a baby growing up fast, she is going to give me one of her he's grown out of (which is a light weight) so it makes sense to swap as my one would fit her boy perfectly. There, justification complete!

His stable rug I bought from Robinsons last year and I have to say I love it. It's 5'6 and fits him perfectly.

So is it as simple as getting him a turnout that's 5'6? I've seen the one I want which is from Robinsons as well so it should be about right shouldn't it?

Thanks

Cat x

vels mum
3rd October 2009, 11:11 PM
Yea its just fitted the same (unless you are going to be double rugging in which case id go a size up). Its good that you have found a brand which works for him. I find the robinsons own brand too big around the shoulders for vel and not deep enough for Turk.
I like the polyester lined rugs as they do not cause rubs, its silky so it doesnt stick to them when they are moving about like a cotton lined rug would, but its all down to personal preference.
If you have found a brand that works for him id stick with it as they do all come in different shapes and sizes and are not cheap!

Catg
3rd October 2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Vels mum, nope won't be double rugging, good point.

Funny you should say that as Zeb is high withered I find everything is too tight around his shoulders apart from the Robinsons ones! x

bimba
4th October 2009, 12:08 PM
Funny you should say that as Zeb is high withered I find everything is too tight around his shoulders apart from the Robinsons ones! x

Mac is the same, I find Robinsons rugs fit him best and he's really high withered the rest seem to not have enough room.

CityLights
4th October 2009, 05:29 PM
just buy the same size, sometimes you could do with a little extra just to snuggle thier bums but the three inche difference is too much and most turnouts now have big tail flaps to keep them warm anyway

lilholley
4th October 2009, 07:10 PM
I dont know much about stables rugs, but I read somewhere that rugs are less likely to rub if they are on the small side rather than too big - I suppose because then the move more? So I'd stick with the same size :)

My Crazy Clan
4th October 2009, 08:30 PM
Yep its fitted the same, it varies with each brand though.