PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about going back to college

Bright Sparkx
19th November 2010, 12:46 AM
Has anyone done the HND Equine course at a college or uni?
Im thinking about applying to study this course next year but im really nervous about going back to college after studying my national diploma in horse management i never really felt like i fitted in the college atmosphere, because im shy i kind of got ignored and didnt get helped much :(
Im great around horses and i really enjoy the practical side of working with horses but i find the theory side quite hard and take longer than other people to get certain things in like the science lessons but i found because i was shy i didnt ask alot of questions i got ignored and had to learn everything myself, so now im worried im going to find this course hard and i wont stick it out.
But im determind i really want to get a good job and work with horses so im willing to stick it out and work really hard to achieve this and hopefully improve my confidence around people cause im fine around horses just find it hard speaking infront of people in lectures etc and get really nervous infront of people so hopefully i can overcome this :)

casper_cb
19th November 2010, 11:18 AM
Go for it.

I did a BTEC ND and was so shy and quiet, so much so I got nicknamed Casper as I mumbled my name and it came out Cas rather than Kaz, so it was decided, Casper the friendly ghost.
I then went to uni on an Equine Management course (however I switched to pure business management). I lived in halls and I decided to just throw myself into it. Freshers week is good, it lets you meet so many people, and most people unlike school and college are all in the same boat, they don't know anyone, it's all a new experience and even the super confident ones are nervous. It was the first time I'd felt welcome in an environment, my hall all stuck together for the first evening. The following afternoon one of the more confident individuals invited randoms in ear shot over to her room in her halls, went with them and 8 years on I'm still friends with them! Uni was so much less bitchy than school/ college, people did look out for each other more and I loved it.

Have fun and good luck. :D Where are you thinking of going?

Anni~Bell
19th November 2010, 11:24 AM
I then went to uni on an Equine Management course (however I switched to pure business management). I lived in halls and I decided to just throw myself into it. Freshers week is good, it lets you meet so many people, and most people unlike school and college are all in the same boat, they don't know anyone, it's all a new experience and even the super confident ones are nervous. It was the first time I'd felt welcome in an environment, my hall all stuck together for the first evening. The following afternoon one of the more confident individuals invited randoms in ear shot over to her room in her halls, went with them and 8 years on I'm still friends with them! Uni was so much less bitchy than school/ college, people did look out for each other more and I loved it.

Have fun and good luck. :D Where are you thinking of going?

Definately agree with this description of uni!! I'm currently living the student life and loving it! Like you at the beginning I was really shy and nervous and I didn't go out much during freshers week! But now I don't need asking twice and there's myself and two other girls who are really friendly with people in 2 flats upstairs and very often our three flats go out together, have nights in together, go shopping together etc. Joining societies is also a great way of meeting new people! I have met sooooo many people having joined the Riding Club and I go out every wednesday night with is AU night and you meet soooo many people there too! Especially a few rugby, football and boxing boys ;)

I would recommend everyone to do the student life if they can! I love going to university, especially now I have changed my course, loving the people I live with, love the city where I am it's just great! My tutors are brilliant (apart from one :rolleyes: ). Don't be afriad to ask your tutors, lecturers loads of questions. I sent one of my tutors a really long email asking loads and loads of questions and he answered them all in great detail and it now means I can write my coursework :) I don't know where you are based but have you looked into doing a Foundation Course?? Only reason is that I am doing one and it is an AMAZING way to get you into the course! I don't get treated like an idiot but all the work I am doing now will actually have me at a slight advantage for when I start my actual degree! And don't forget you always have us guys to help you out with any problems you might have :)

Bright Sparkx
19th November 2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks both that's really cheered me up about going now I'm actually looking forward to applying :D and its nice to know I have people on here to chat to about it :)

CityLights
19th November 2010, 02:20 PM
In my experirnce your better going and doing a partical job than going and getting a degree, the majoirty of employers dont understand or value a degree or qualifcation over actually going doing and experiencing the job your actually doing, i havent got a degree and have been doing jobs that most people would of gone and got a degree to do instead, if you sturggle with the science based stuff as well seeing it in practical application will be very helpful if you do decide to go do a degree so maybe find some work experience at a vets practice or on a stud yard

Bright Sparkx
19th November 2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, thats what my parents are telling me that basically id be over qualified for an equine job because they dont tend to go based on qualifications anyway just overall experience, cause my parents are trying to talk me into doing a different course like childcare or animal care next year if i cant find a job in the mean time because im struggling to find work in my area and i cant move away atm

Anni~Bell
19th November 2010, 08:39 PM
What about doing something like studying Animal Science or Animal Behaviour???

Bright Sparkx
19th November 2010, 08:44 PM
yeah i like anything to do with animals so tbh im not really bothered what course it was :)

CityLights
19th November 2010, 10:56 PM
Yeah, thats what my parents are telling me that basically id be over qualified for an equine job because they dont tend to go based on qualifications anyway just overall experience, cause my parents are trying to talk me into doing a different course like childcare or animal care next year if i cant find a job in the mean time because im struggling to find work in my area and i cant move away atm

its not that you would be over qualified a degree would always mean that later on you could consider teaching in college if you had a degree, but if thats not something you would like to do or consider it is far more valuable to work on a yard and learn that way a degree doesnt limit what your doing persay but the experience you would get from working is the main thing that if you were wanting to work on yards etc that would be attractive to employers

i havent done my degree my tutors thought i should of but im a very practical person and very much hands on and want to work on a yard im lucky im also pretty smart too but working had far more appeal to me than going and slaving away for another three years in uni if i had a degree then there would be looads of expereiences i wouldnt of gotten in the past few years which is invaluable for the kind of jobs i would want, but if i wanted to go work in a less practical capcity say in a vet practice, nutrtion, research etc then a degree would of been valuable, it just depends on the areas you want to work it, doing a degree wouldnt be a waste either way really its always something you could use and if your a little shy and lacking confidence it could help draw you out of your shell a bit more, im not the most confident of people but i spent a short period of time away from home working on a very large stud and it did me the world of good and really made me grow up and get a bit more confidence

Bright Sparkx
20th November 2010, 12:52 PM
Yeah atm there's not many yards in my area and I can't travel atm so a degree is just another option because I'd gain an extra qualification and I wouldn't be stuck doing nothing, but if I can find a good horsey job somewhere on a yard I'd probably go for that :)