PDA

View Full Version : Horse Agility Competitions

Catg
7th December 2010, 09:02 PM
In the January issue of Horse&Rider there's an article on horse agility. Yes, within reason it's pretty much the same as dog agility. Horse can only wear a head collar and long lead rope (and leg protection if necessary) and handler has to wear a hat and gloves, no schooling whips allowed so it's totally down to teamwork and trust. You can also do it without a lead rope if the horse is going to be jumping through hoops etc.

I'd absolutely love to have a go at this, have you heard of it before or tried it?

Cat x

stepbystep
7th December 2010, 09:06 PM
No! Sounds great.

BEX101
7th December 2010, 09:30 PM
Its quite popular with miniatures (its not like you can ride most of them!) If you google it or check out youtube there are some good videos. If i remember rightly there is an extreme version which is entirly off the lead and over like a cross country course.

Catg
7th December 2010, 10:02 PM
Ooh good idea I'll have a look. What do you reckon Mitch would think of it? I reckon it would keep Rosie busy! Hope I've got her name right?

BEX101
7th December 2010, 10:17 PM
Ooh good idea I'll have a look. What do you reckon Mitch would think of it? I reckon it would keep Rosie busy! Hope I've got her name right?

Yes, both names right! :D ****** Rosie though, she can do the leadrein showing and i'll do the agility. A few weeks i did make a half hearted attempt at starting to clicker train him which would have helped towards some aspects of the agility, but he is so desperate to get out of the stable at the moment i feel cruel not using the time i have up there to turn him out in the school or walk him out.

Catg
7th December 2010, 10:38 PM
Yes, both names right! :D ****** Rosie though, she can do the leadrein showing and i'll do the agility. A few weeks i did make a half hearted attempt at starting to clicker train him which would have helped towards some aspects of the agility, but he is so desperate to get out of the stable at the moment i feel cruel not using the time i have up there to turn him out in the school or walk him out.

:pmsl: it does look like good fun doesn't it.

Aww bless him. The snow must be pretty deep for him atm, i can just imagine him burrowing little routes around a paddock and lifting his nose up for air :lol:

BEX101
7th December 2010, 10:54 PM
Aww bless him. The snow must be pretty deep for him atm, i can just imagine him burrowing little routes around a paddock and lifting his nose up for air :lol:

Its not quite that bad. In some ways its better for us as the yard is an ice rink and most people just darent bring their horses out. Mitch is so low to the ground its not a problem for him so he's getting extra time turned out in the menage.

CityLights
8th December 2010, 10:29 AM
there is a western class called in hand trail whcih you generally do with the baby horses which is kind of like in hand obsticle course but you cant touch your horse so you have to do like step sideways over a pole and turn around etc without touching the horse or the horse touching the poles,

i used to do quite a bit with Kizzie when she was a baby it was really good for her as she is quite smart and it keeps her mind busy on something i think she won every year from being a yearling to three

beano the nut
8th December 2010, 12:47 PM
I went to watch a agility day. Considering the cost of it I didnt think much of it. It consisted of backing your horse over a pole, trotting with a load on their back, walking through a plastic car wash thing, over a tarpaulin etc. I wouldnt class it as "agaility". Its more about the relationship between horse and handler. It would be great for horses that couldnt be ridden x

Catg
8th December 2010, 02:35 PM
I went to watch a agility day. Considering the cost of it I didnt think much of it. It consisted of backing your horse over a pole, trotting with a load on their back, walking through a plastic car wash thing, over a tarpaulin etc. I wouldnt class it as "agaility". Its more about the relationship between horse and handler. It would be great for horses that couldnt be ridden x

That just sounds like handy pony?

In the article I read there were pictures of the horse jumping through hoops, over little ditches and walking up over artificial bridges. It didn't look easy.

beano the nut
8th December 2010, 04:24 PM
The one I went to was an introduction to it, I guess the organisers all do different things but they certainly werent jumping through hoops lol :)

BEX101
8th December 2010, 04:35 PM
I have an image in my head of Mitch jumping through a hoop to get stuck half way through......

Catg
8th December 2010, 05:29 PM
The one I went to was an introduction to it, I guess the organisers all do different things but they certainly werent jumping through hoops lol :)

Ahh I see, fair enough. I think the jumping through a hoop class would be the advanced one.

Catg
8th December 2010, 05:31 PM
I have an image in my head of Mitch jumping through a hoop to get stuck half way through......

Not sure if you meant this as a joke or not Bex but it made me laugh! :lol:

BEX101
8th December 2010, 06:24 PM
Not sure if you meant this as a joke or not Bex but it made me laugh! :lol:

In my head he looks just like the budgie i used to have that loved to swing on his hoop thing with a bell on it.

BEX101
8th December 2010, 06:25 PM
(sorry, i'm having one of those days)

easyrider
8th December 2010, 07:03 PM
like unmounted Trec..prefer the mounted one