PDA

View Full Version : my secret - starting eventing Domino??

flambards
11th December 2010, 10:28 PM
I've not said anything - still not sure I should because I'll probably jinx it - but I've set in motion plans to event Domino in the spring. :scared: :D

I've missed eventing so incredibly much since I left South Africa - it's really my discipline and where my heart is when it comes to riding, and there just aren't a lot of outlets for it here. I've spoken with a few coaches and a friend who has a young horse, and we're hoping to take our two out to some schooling trials in 2011.

I have acquired a safety vest and my medical armband, and I already have all the dressage and showjumping gear, so we're ready to do it. Now I just need to buckle down and get to work on the pony...

I'm so so so so so excited! Pointless post really. But yes. Excited. Couldn't keep it to myself any more.

cocopops
12th December 2010, 04:30 PM
How exciting, it is definitely the best sport. I loved taking Coco out eventing, his dressage was never great, sj usually ok, but XC he was an absolute machine, and he loved it. Can't wait to get my new horse, hopefully ill find something that i can get out on next season!
Looking forward to seeing the photos!

rowy
12th December 2010, 05:25 PM
oooh exciting! cant wait for the pics :)

flambards
12th December 2010, 05:48 PM
I love it so much :D I'd done some XC schooling in South Africa but never made it out to a real event. I'm already pretty nervous even though nothing will be happening for months yet. It'll just be little stuff but I can't wait. Good luck finding your next horse, coco!

Loz
14th December 2010, 05:07 PM
Ahh how exciting, this is what I plan to do with Roubear come the spring. Make sure you keep us up to date with how you're getting on, and I want pictures!!

casper_cb
17th December 2010, 10:19 AM
Hope it all goes well. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

CityLights
17th December 2010, 01:25 PM
How fun, is there much of a competition scene over in the states, it just seems so massive and vast that you would have to travel a really long way to get to much

flambards
17th December 2010, 07:54 PM

There is a pretty big scene in the country as a whole, but it's very unevenly distributed since most riders and barns here tend to specialize in one discipline as opposed to general riding and all-rounders like I saw overseas more. My area is a very big area for dressage people, which has given me a lot of really great opportunities in that discipline. It also has quite a few hunter/equitation places. The eventing scene is much smaller, with only a couple places that I know of even having a basic cross country course. Virginia, where I used to live, has a much bigger eventing scene, as does Kentucky. Those are the big states for eventing off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone more immersed in it would find that explanation wholly inadequate ;) The country is divided into regions by our governing body, USEF, so really it's some regions have more eventing than others... it gets complicated. Haha.

casper_cb
9th March 2011, 08:18 PM
How you getting on? I've got my first XC run tomorrow. Slightly apprehensive as the only schooling since October Oscar has had is clearing the fence as I was too slow to walk over and catch him at tea time!