PDA

View Full Version : Will this horse ever find a loaner?

CautionToTheWind
12th December 2010, 12:17 AM
I bumped into my friend who works at the local horsie shop today. She in a bit of bother, she been attempting to find a loaner for her pony for months and now it's getting serious. She's moving to America to live with her brother next year, but she can't deal with the thought of selling her beloved pony. He's a lovely coloured 13.2hh gelding, and her and him are always in ribbons when jumping as he has real talent... what more could a competitive child/teenager want?

There are a few problems though. He's not suitable for a teenager or a child. He's 16, not at all bad, been there done that kinda horse... however he acts like a 6 year old and is extremely strong - too strong for kids. She usually rides him in a double bridle even though she's an extremely competent rider, and he still manages to run off into the jumps. He's totally bombproof and willing, but far too much for a kid to handle or even a teenager (I declined her offer to ride him as I thought I'd go straight over his head the moment we got moving, and I rarely pass up an opportunity to ride). He'd jump a house if you pointed him at it - he loves jumping. He has perfect stable manners and is brilliant around children on the ground, and friendly to other horses. He's fine to school until poles come out and he gets excited. He occasionally bucks, with people who disrespect his mouth/new riders. He is totally viceless and vetted, there is nothing wrong with his back/conformation etc.

My friend is really down about the fact that no one will want him/be suitable and because he's tricky she can't bare the fact that he will be pushed from pillar to post and because of his age people may just give up, as well as the fact that she loves him to pieces. He's not naughty, he just loves work and has his own way of doing things. She wants an adult, as she'll be away for 1-2 years and can't deal with students going off to uni/children outgrowing him. She said she's perfectly happy him to not be ridden (but this obviously isn't ideal for him) she just wants someone who will look after him properly and love him and he really is lovely. As she said today "I just want to find someone who wants a horse to look after and say 'here have mine'".

But realistically who would want to full loan a 13.2hh pony who takes a while to be understood, can't be ridden by novices and is 16 years old? Oh, and needs to stay at current yard? I told my friend I'd ask around but I really cannot think of anyone who would be suitable. I would take him, but I really do not have the funds to support a full loan and I'm perfectly happy with my Holly. Just curious if there are adults out there would would be interested, as I really want this to work out for my friend.

gallopinggelding
12th December 2010, 01:13 AM
I dont think age is an issue for loaning ,and, its not a permanent loan long term so would suit a lot of people .Were has she advertised ?

CautionToTheWind
12th December 2010, 01:22 AM
She hasn't yet as she's not wanting time wasters, she's wanting it to be passed through word of mouth. Also he isn't going to be up for loan till the summer, but she's looking now because its going to take a while

Ambers Mum
12th December 2010, 01:31 AM
If he could live with me I would let him come to my yard for the time she needs as Tori would get on with him and |I would oversee his work etc.

I have space for one more at the mo and although I may be having a foalie, I will put foalie first but if it isn't to be then as long as your friend doesn't mind I would work with him xx

annmarie
12th December 2010, 09:57 AM
If he could live with me I would let him come to my yard for the time she needs as Tori would get on with him and |I would oversee his work etc.

I have space for one more at the mo and although I may be having a foalie, I will put foalie first but if it isn't to be then as long as your friend doesn't mind I would work with him xx

awww what a lucky little pony to have the chance to come to you xxx

easyrider
12th December 2010, 11:16 AM
i think the sticking point is 'too stay at present yard' that does not suit people who may live further away. if he was sold he would move so why not to loan, as long as the loan him is vetted and an agreement set up and signed......and if Mandis offer is serious i would snap her hand off...she would give it a a kind and active home, her kids love their ponies and do lots of things with them so it would be stimulated as well as well looked after...i have never met Mandi but i know a girl who shared with her and has nothing but good to say and shes local to me as has been on our local forum and i would trust her with mine...and i dont say that very often!

micki
12th December 2010, 08:56 PM
I agree with easyrider about the sticking point. Not everyone can go to the yard the pony is currently at. It would put me off if i was looking for a pony to loan.
I would take veteranponies offer as it will be looked after and you will be able to tell the owner how the pony is while they are in America, as i'm sure that veteranponies will post on here how it is.

CautionToTheWind
12th December 2010, 11:52 PM
I too think the "stay at current yard is the problem", especially as he just moved to that yard 3 weeks ago. But her best friend is on that yard so I guess her thinking is that he will have someone to "oversee events" should anything go wrong etc. But not sure if she's totally thought about it properly as she also said "all they'd have to pay is the livery" by which her boss corrected her and said "no, you wont be here to pay for food etc so that on top of 150 odd a month livery" in which she responded "oh yer". She did get a bit emotional thinking about it, as she loves her pony to pieces and if it was up to her he'd come with her but its far too expensive and unsettling for him.

If he were mine, I would give him to you in a heartbeat Mandi, as its obvious you care for your horses. Where abouts are you as we're in the north east? Its lovely for you to offer!

She had told me to only ask around and not advertise so I posted this on the quiet to see what you's thought. Do you think she'll get much interest with the "must stay at present yard" rule?

thanks for your replies :)

micki
13th December 2010, 02:40 PM
I think she has really limited herself as to who would be interested. It's not always easy to find an adult who wants a small pony and then not being able to move him to a yard of their choice makes it very difficult to find someone suitable for him.

CautionToTheWind
13th December 2010, 03:35 PM
I asked her today at 6th form telling her I have people who may be interested if he can be moved. She said she's pretty set on him staying there as its the only place he's appeared totally settled at in the whole time she's had him (at his previous yards he's been known to rear in his stable and jump his door etc) so it seems she doesn't see him being settled anywhere else. I think I may just leave it, as it was going to be hard to find someone anyways.

easyrider
13th December 2010, 04:58 PM
i think the 150 livery plus feed...is that full livery? will be enough to put most loaners off....and a freind there 'overseeing'? if the friends doesn't agree with any loaner doing something is she going to throw a spanner in the works! if shes going abroad to live she really needs to either sell him or find a permanat home but if the home fails who is going to collect the pony and look after it/find another loan home....theres a lot to think about it...by the sound of his behaviour i would not get involved...you may end up being stuck looking after it

CautionToTheWind
14th December 2010, 12:33 AM
ER - couldn't agree more. I will just stay out of it. I had offered to look after him as I'm not going to uni till 2012, but I wouldn't be able to pay any of the fees so she wasn't keen. Me and her aren't close friends, so I will just stay out of it as I reckon nearer the summer she'll figure out that she needs to cut her requirements. The 150 livery includes bedding but not feed. So its that per month + shoeing + worming just makes it not worth all the rules surrounded by it. I do hope she finds someone though :)

Ambers Mum
14th December 2010, 12:58 AM
i think the sticking point is 'too stay at present yard' that does not suit people who may live further away. if he was sold he would move so why not to loan, as long as the loan him is vetted and an agreement set up and signed......and if Mandis offer is serious i would snap her hand off...she would give it a a kind and active home, her kids love their ponies and do lots of things with them so it would be stimulated as well as well looked after...i have never met Mandi but i know a girl who shared with her and has nothing but good to say and shes local to me as has been on our local forum and i would trust her with mine...and i dont say that very often!

awww thankyou, thats brought a tear to my eye.

We are in Solihull, near Birmingham airport so she may not go for it.

Its a shame really as it is so hard to find a loan home when thehorse has to stay put xx

Thanks for all the kind words xxx

africa
14th December 2010, 01:17 PM
I think as well as the 'stay at present yard' being a sticking point the 'no teenagers' think will also cause her a problem. He's a small pony who adores jumping but pulls like a steam train. That sounds like a good match for an experienced teen who loves jumping but she's ruling them out because she thinks they won't handle him. I'm not sure where she's getting this from since if you know her from 6th form she is presumably a teenager herself and can handle him. There are a lot of fearless teenagers who are great riders so she shouldn't limit herself by not even letting them try.

Loz
14th December 2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah I agree with Africa on the no teenagers bit, I had a tank of a pony when I was 14/15 who also loved to jump, he used to drag me into everything at a million miles per hour (literally, I'm sure of him being that fast) but he was so much fun I didn't care and I had no fear, still don't. Was gutted when I had to give him up!

CautionToTheWind
14th December 2010, 05:35 PM
The teenager thing is more because she knows teenagers will go off to uni etc, and she can't be dealing with them wanting to give up the loan when she's across the pond. She wants an adult as she thinks they'll be more reliable and responsible.

She doesn't really share my views, but I'm just passing on what she said.

gallopinggelding
16th December 2010, 08:13 AM
Its asking a lot if that was me looking ...a friend overseeing.....that could be interfering....good idea and/or bad idea......livery fees very expensive for summer ..you offered to help your ideas were closed so let her sort it out as you said think at moment lots of horses are coming/are up for loan i know one know 15.2 tbx mare eleven y.o. safe sound and owner will locate to yard and manners to burn and gorgeous excellent riding club horse she wanted her to go word of mouth though but happy to relocate horse but a lot of people havent got the money, so owner is taking her back and putting her in foal .