PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to BHS Stages 1&2?

Catg
20th December 2010, 02:45 PM
Hi guys,

Question in the title!

I'd quite like to do them but they're not cheap and you have to join the BHS as a gold member first. This does give you public liability and personal accident insurance but it doesn't cover emergency vets fees, tack etc so I feel like I would be paying for two policies just so I can do a qualification for leisure purposes only. It all seems a bit much! :mad:

Thanks for your help x

BEX101
20th December 2010, 03:32 PM
Are you looking to teach or just have more knowledge in horsey stuff?
There are various Btech courses certificate/national diploma/higher national in equine studies etc. Theres a few other similar things about to.

CityLights
20th December 2010, 03:49 PM
if your just doing it for a leisure type thing why not just do the horse owners certificates instead,

Catg
20th December 2010, 05:48 PM
Bex, S&W thanks for your replies.

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. For now it would just be for my own personal benefit but I wouldn't rule out getting into teaching. I'm a software trainer by trade and I enjoy teaching so who knows! I do like the idea of being able to do a set of qualifications via distance learning that I could progress through in my own time and put to good use if needed, do you know what I mean?

I work full time and travel with work so can't go to college unless it's at the weekend. I did look into the horse owners certificate but then I wouldn't be able to use it for anything in the future. I suppose it's a case of 'you get what you pay for'.

I would like to find a course that I can study at home and just take time of work for exams if needed.

I'm stuck as to what to do, need to just make a decision between paying extra for the stages or just doing the horse owners cert and see how I get on. Unless theres anything else out there that fits the bill? Hmmm.

BEX101
20th December 2010, 06:29 PM
I seem to remember that you used to be able to skip BHS stage 1 and go straight on to stage 2 if you were good enough.

Catg
20th December 2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks Bex that could save a few pennies!

I'm going to try and speak with some local instructors and talk it through

Thanks for your help x

Tiaki
20th December 2010, 06:49 PM
I hold my hands up to knowing nothing about what I am going to suggest as I did my BHS exams many moons ago but have you looked into the ABRS exam route??? Not sure if it would be cheaper or anything but it is another idea for you to look into??

The BHS website should have plenty of info on it.

xxx

vels mum
20th December 2010, 08:59 PM
I did the BHS horse ownership exam level 1&2, level 1 was very easy, level 2 was a bit harder.

My daughter has just joined the official Pony Club (our local pony club is part of it) and is working towards her badges which is equivelant to level 1 & 2 but I dont know if its just for kids or if the pony club does adult levels too??

Catg
20th December 2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks Sam I'll check it out

Thanks Lou, I did look through the syllabus for the stages, 1 I could do now but stage 2 I think I would need to do a bit of studying which is fine as I want the plug the gaps in my knowledge. I'm bored if scrabbling around for *** bits of knowledge. I want a proper course to do!

CityLights
21st December 2010, 10:41 AM
I seem to remember that you used to be able to skip BHS stage 1 and go straight on to stage 2 if you were good enough.

only if you have certain qualifications already ive done my NVQs 2+3 and if i had done them in riding not breeding i would of been allowed direct entry into the stage four, i think they used to allow you to skip stage one if you have also got years and years of experience but dont anymore

BEX101
21st December 2010, 11:16 AM
only if you have certain qualifications already ive done my NVQs 2+3 and if i had done them in riding not breeding i would of been allowed direct entry into the stage four, i think they used to allow you to skip stage one if you have also got years and years of experience but dont anymore

I've gota admit its a fair few years since i did my stages. I'm sure i skipped my stage 1 and went straight for stage 2 but old age might be clouding my memory! :)

CityLights
21st December 2010, 11:18 AM
I've gota admit its a fair few years since i did my stages. I'm sure i skipped my stage 1 and went straight for stage 2 but old age might be clouding my memory! :)

its changed quite a lot recently and is changing even more, apparently if now if you fail a certian section of the riding be it jumping or flat then you can go back and just do the section you failed

Catg
21st December 2010, 04:48 PM
That sounds good! A friend told me recently that I could do 1&2 together, not sure if that's true or not? x

Ambers Mum
26th December 2010, 11:55 AM
I would definately look into ABRS, I have lots of friends who did their ABRS instead of BHS at a local RS. I did my stages a million years ago and never enjoyed them the way my friends say they enoyed their ABRS courses (all done whilst working full time except for one girl who was a full time working student at the RS).

scewae
28th December 2010, 09:26 AM
I have done a fair few ABRS exams, can't remember up to what level tho. Only thing with ABRS is that there are lots and lots of exams to complete, its all broken down into little sections.

Catg
28th December 2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys x