PDA

View Full Version : What is the rush?

Pie_x
4th January 2011, 09:35 PM
Another annoyance to add to my raging temper! Anyway, the people Annie went too for a few weeks after I had her (Thank god it was only that length of time) Anyway they have Annie's son, hes not 2 yet. Okay they aren't cruel at all and the horses look good but i've just come across on facebook of pictures of him with a teenager on his back, bridle on and his companion, also not 2 years old yet and the caption 'Awww aren't they good boys, not fussed about anything'

:mad:

WHY CAN'T THEY JUST ******* WAIT?! There babies for goodness sake. I want to comment something but it will start world war 3 so i'm biting my lip on this one. I'm already in a foul mood but this has added to it even more! Ok so they aren't riding them as such as in breaking them (Well, I hope not) but even so... Leave babies to be babies :(

x

funkyboots
4th January 2011, 09:41 PM
bit early.....i been doing floor stuff with merry (poles. horsemanship exercises) but not even consider sitting on her till shes nearly 3...even 3.5 if shes gonna keep growing at the rate she is

CautionToTheWind
4th January 2011, 09:55 PM
Thats terrible :/
Try not to let it get to you too much, and just be glad Annie isn't still with them.

Hugs
xxx

My Crazy Clan
4th January 2011, 10:10 PM
Its awful isn't it, don't ****** get babies if your not willing to wait until their ready!

I think I wouldn't be so good at biting my tongue on this one!

Anni~Bell
4th January 2011, 10:27 PM
And this is why I have no time for people that don't leave their horses til at least 3 and a half! I'm like you, why can't babies be babies :(

Pie_x
4th January 2011, 10:39 PM
I know its not fair! Poor thing didn't look happy. The other looked ok but its still not the point at all. Grr, really bores me. Its 'One sit will be okay' Oh he was good, lets do it again & again... Then break them in fully at 2.. Stupid people.

x

Bright Sparkx
4th January 2011, 11:02 PM
awh i can see why your annoyed, people just cant wait to get on horses these days instead of leaving them grow first, how would they like it if they were a horse growing and someone sat on them!

adamntitch
5th January 2011, 12:40 AM
it is such a shame and they should be left to grow and have a good life as babys till they grow up but is there a law on it as racehorses are raced at 2 sometimes such a shame

My Crazy Clan
5th January 2011, 01:19 PM
Your right, this is how it starts just one sit and the rest is history!

amandaxx1
5th January 2011, 03:20 PM
I hate to see this too. Very selfish x

rowy
5th January 2011, 03:27 PM
it annoys me so much! such a waste of horses :( I saw a nice appaloosa for sale that was 2 years old and was pictured with a rider on its back in the advert. I was like Whaaaa? and then theres the woman at my old yard who sat on and rode her not quite 2 year old. Though she had the good sense to write on his advert just been lunged etc.

fell lover
5th January 2011, 04:39 PM
The sad thing is that the picture shows they have been sat on - now tell me that the teenagers are happy with just sitting there! They will have been ridden round abit :(

daytona
5th January 2011, 05:11 PM
I agree start the basics ground work etc but let them mature and let their bones strengthen. At that age thay dont have to full muscle tone yet and have not finished forming themselves. Patience is a vertue people.

Pie_x
5th January 2011, 11:43 PM
I agree with you all, its so sad. Poor babies x

Loz
6th January 2011, 12:38 PM
I saw a load of ads the other day on a local horses for sale site (it was some dealer) anyway, all the horses were youngsters, talking 2/3 and there were pictures of them being jumped under saddle. That in my opinion is awful. Let a baby be a baby. Agree with what everyone else has said, why get a baby if you're not going to wait!! Does my head in!

Tiaki
6th January 2011, 02:44 PM
This kind of thing makes me SO angry.

If people buy a young horse then they need to have the patience to wait until that youngster is ready.
Take my Dylan for example, he is rising 5yrs old and really done *** all. He was shown in hand as a 2yr old and then started at 3yrs with LIGHT lunging and long reining and then lead across. He then did sweet FA for 12months and came back into "work" as a 4yr old. In the last 6months he has been ridden no more than a dozen times, light hacking mostly in walk with a tiny bit of trot and he had one canter, his first canter. He did pop over a small branch as well. He then had a month turned away and has just come back into work again, at the moment just with me sitting on him once a week for 10mins and taking him for a pootle up the lane. I am looking for a little rider for him but for now I will keep him ticking over. He will be 5yrs in May.

When horses live for as long as they do, what is the rush? I enjoy seeing them grow up and mature, taking time to do things with them. For me the longer they can be babies the better, it won't happen again in their lifetime.

The thing I absolutely hate most though are horses around the age of 3 and 4 being pushed too much. Yes they are at an age where they can be ridden, but there is being lightly ridden and then there is being hammered. I do not think at all that horses should be in work as such (full work) until they are at least 5yrs old. I also do not agree with horses under the age of 5yrs jumping. Sorry but this is my view. Horses do not finish maturing before the age of 6yrs at least so until they have finished maturing there fragile joints should not be put under the stress that jumping causes. Pop the odd small jump yes but anything other than that I am sorry, I don't agree with at all.

xxx

Burnie
6th January 2011, 02:57 PM
If you don't want to have to wait - don't buy a youngster! Simples! :mad:

so-n-so
7th January 2011, 12:01 AM
i hate seeing this type of stuff, it really yanks my chain.. :mad:
you wouldnt expect a young child to carry heavy things or do things and adult would so why do it to horses?!

iv had some people say to me why have your horses not been ridden yet or much?

well lets see - they are young, i want them to come on slowly and gain confidence naturally and i will bl**dy do what i want with my ponies as they are mine for life and i dont want to ****** them up by rushing things..

here is what mine have done -

millie - rising 6 this year - shes only been lightly ridden this year due to a huge bad abcess most of the first half of last year. shes only done a bit of schooling and only in walk and trot.

Mo - rishing 5 in may, backed this year, she was sat on a while ago tho, but it was just a sit on her. shes been hacked in walk and trot, not schooled ridden yet, but long lined in the school.

Vinnie - rising 4 this year, been sat on, thats it, i wouldnt lunge him as hes too young, he will be long lined and sat on a bit more this year but i will take my time

Saffy - sat on and ridden lightly as shes a later foal - will be 5 at the back end of summer.

alot of people say they would have done a bit more with their youngsters but im in no rush really.

erica
27th January 2011, 06:09 PM
I found out that Red was broken in at 18 months! And was pulling a cart at 2. Not very nice. So the lady who I bought him off, just turned him out until he was 3 1/2 and started again. I bought him when he was 4. (Ive had him for 5 months now).

I dont think its done him any damage, and he does enjoy his work. But even now, I dont push him. I did quite a bit of ground work with him first, and it has seemed to pay off.

I bought a 6 month old filly a few years ago, and even though we did bits here and there, didnt back her until she was 3 1/2. Didnt do much until she was 4.

I personally think its a shame to push them when theyre still growing.

:-)

Sidesaddlelady
28th January 2011, 01:11 PM
it is such a shame and they should be left to grow and have a good life as babys till they grow up but is there a law on it as racehorses are raced at 2 sometimes such a shame

As a racehorse's official birthday is January 1st of the year they are born it is theoretically possible for a horse to be raced when it was still physically under 2 years old. It's hardly surprising that most ex-racehorses have had it by 15 years old

HannahAndSydney
28th January 2011, 05:57 PM
I totally agree but sometimes it is better to bite your tongue as it's not likely saying something will make any difference and it just starts pointless arguments. You have to quitely grumble away to yourself (something I'm getting very good at doing!)

So Anni, you don't have time for me 'ey :evilgrin:
I definately think you are spot on. Syd was backed when he was 3 years 1 month, but if I was more clued up at that point I would have suggested waiting a few more months. Saying that we took it very easy with him, and some horses are ready at 3, but with my next youngster I'll be waiting a bit longer just because they grow up so fast!

Hannibal
1st February 2011, 03:23 PM
I hate this too! People seem to think that they’ve been clever by being able to sit on them so early. It’s like they have no thought over whether the horse has actually matured enough to cope with it.

I know someone who bought a foal and started lunging it as a yearling (as in 13months old) and it drives me mad!!! It’s a warmblood too, so not exactly a fast developer. What annoys me even more about her is that she hasn’t even bothered doing simple things with him like getting him used to anyone other than her picking his feet out or doing any bombproofing exercises with him. she also started jumping a 3 year old, so obviously no common sense there!

As others have said, what on earth is the point in buying a baby if you cant be bothered waiting. There are more than enough broken horses that need bringing on ect.