PDA

View Full Version : kicking

Tosca
8th January 2011, 08:25 PM
Hi,
I'm new on here, was hoping someone would have some advice for me!
Although I've had young horses before I've never come across this one...

I have a shetty, Tosca, who is 12 and lamanitic, so he often needs to go into his little bare paddock. I also have Murphy, a bay and white TBX gelding who is 2 next April.

Problem is Murphy, who is generally very sweet and lovely, catches well, leads well and not spooky with his rugs etc. But when ever I walk through his field he comes galloping at me swinging his back end out kicking. It's odd because he doesn't kick near me, only when I'm going through his field.

What do I do to stop this? It's getting quite dangerous and I have to walk through his field to get to the shetty.

http://Mr Murphy 040.JPG

Thanks for any advice!http://http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs315.ash2/59522_429325574683_811674683_4761420_7189174_n.jpg

BEX101
8th January 2011, 08:36 PM
Is he hungry? He is sorta aproaching his teenage years and maybe trying to be boss in his field over you. Is he ot by himself? Its not a bad thing for a youngster that is getting a bit physical with you to be turned out with some older horses to learn a few manners.

Sasca
8th January 2011, 08:37 PM
Its just a show of excitement, but if its getting dangerous, then become very dominant and stand your ground, and shout him away.

Its excitement at your company, but if you push him away when he acts like an idiot, then he'll learn it doesn't get him where he wants to be. You give him hugs when he's calm, and you become aggressive and dominant when he acts like an idiot. Wave your arms, growl and shout and stomp towards him until he stops, then just act normal :)

Tosca
8th January 2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks,
He seems always hungry, but getting loads of hay and 2 feeds. He is by himself at times when his shetty friend is in little bit (but it's only a fence away). I rent the field on my own so can't really get another mate.
I wasn't sure if he was testing his dominance (the shetty is a bully) so maybe he's trying it on to be higher ranked. He's getting big now though so is scary (he's nearly 16hh already).
I had thought of waving arms and even taking a schooling whip through to get him away as he does come close kicking, but wasn't sure if that would excite him further, but I suppose is def worth a try.
How do I upload pics on here?
Thanks again!

Sasca
8th January 2011, 08:52 PM
If you get yourself a photobucket account (free) and upload on there...then just copy the IMG code under each picture into your posts :)

Tosca
8th January 2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks again!

funkyboots
9th January 2011, 09:32 AM
merry does the same..(normally near my new car! aarrgghh) or when the dogs near her she'll try to play,buck at him!!!! then she tries to eat mike,to goad him into playfighting!! he just stands there like 'woman!' but in the stable hes boss! and sometimes i have to split them up to give HER a break..i dunno kids!

My Crazy Clan
9th January 2011, 12:46 PM
Yes mine used to do this and still do on occasions but having 6 when ones goes they all go :lol:

It's just a play time thing, hes on his own most of the time, when he sees you he gets excited and wants to play but what he doesn't understand is humans do not play like other horses :lol:

I would try to ignore it, keep out the way but do not run he will think your playing.

Tosca
9th January 2011, 02:55 PM
Yes now thinking about it I think he is treating me like a horse and wanting to play. He does it more when he's on his own and not with shetty.
I've just been there leading him around and grooming him and he was really good and happy, but as soon as I went back through he was back chasing me and bucking and kicking.
I think he prob wants more attention, but don't think he's nasty or he'd just kick me when I'm picking his back feet out.
I may just move his electric fencing so that I can walk round.
Here he is!
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd372/kim_brooks1/MrMurphy043.jpg

Catg
9th January 2011, 04:19 PM
He's beautiful! x

BHNRS
9th January 2011, 09:39 PM
Aww, hes gorgeous